No rating

Montessori School

Private | PK-8 | 254 students

Living in Chattanooga

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $55,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $590.

Posted May 22, 2012

My children love the preschool program and the teachers are wonderful! However while dropping my child off, I saw the head of school screaming at her staff members in front of the parents and the children. I found this to be completely unprofessional. I dont however enjoy having my children apart of an environment where the teachers fear the directors. That is not the way a school should be run.

Posted December 15, 2011

Our son has been a student from preschool through elementary. It's a great fit for him. The program is highly kid driven. My son loves learning and it picking up things at his own pace. We're every happy with the teachers and leadership.

Posted August 20, 2011

Our daughter started at Montessori School when she was 18 months old. When she started in the two-year old class we found that the staff and teacher were very unfair and completely ignorant of child development. Every time we brought up concerns, we were treated very poorly and the director of the school refused to meet with us. At one point, we were given medical advice from one of the staff members, which our pediatrician later stated was very poor and unsafe advice. And, they absolutely would not help us potty train our daughter. We were told that if she had an accident at school she would be put back in a diaper. Every day that I picked up my daughter I was told negative comments, and rushed out the door. The classrooms are completely bare of any imaginative toys (dolls, dress-up clothes, play-dough, etc.). I never saw a painting or any sort of art work, there is no music or dance classes, and no foreign languages for the younger kids. As an educated parent, and school psychologist with many years of early childhood experience, I absolutely DO NOT recommend this school.

Posted August 20, 2011

What a wonderful place for children! I have found this school to be a loving and enriching place for our children and family. They really care about the entire family. My toddler has flourished at this school. We love and trust the faculty and staff. We have found them to be well trained and they have done extensive research on child development (consulting with doctors, therapists, and more). It is a true Montessori school. We feel so lucky to be a part of the Montessori family. Go on a school tour and do an observations...don't trust these reviews...see for yourself!

Posted August 17, 2011

I,too, am astonished that anyone would give this school a rating under five stars. My daughter will be starting the Pre-K program this week, and we have been at the school since she was 2. Both of her teachers have been absolutely wonderful, communicative, and understanding. The director of the school is an incredibly intelligent lady who knows how to make good decisions for the good of the school. Since we have attended, I have seen the school grow into a beautiful place complete with a greenhouse, vegetable garden, fruit orchard, a new library, a new gym...so many great additions. I truly cannot say enough good things about the school. Please come see for yourself and observe; your child deserves it.

Posted July 24, 2011

My son loves going to school! The teachers are wonderful and they work very hard to ensure each child is working at their own level. Montessori is a great and important start for young children. Both the staff and parents are top notch. The Montessori method facilitates crictical thinking, problem solving, logic, organization, hands on experiences, exploration, and confidence to ensure a well round individual. My advice to parents looking for a school to fit your childs needs "go and observe to see for yourself".

Posted June 14, 2011

It astonishes me that anyone could say this school is bad. I am a past student of the Montessori school who attended from toddler classes through 6th grade (the highest it went when I attended). I can say with the utmost confidence that my education at this school put me leaps and bounds above my fellow classmates when I continued my education at GPS. In fact, I started immediately in honors classes at GPS (which is almost unheard of your first semester there). Montessori instilled traits like confidence, organization, and drive that have successfully gotten me through a very difficult undergraduate curriculum in the number one US ranked program for my degree. I am now onto a graduate degree and still thank the Montessori school for the wonderful start it gave me for my academic journey. I highly recommend you send your child/children to this school! You certainly will not regret it!

Posted March 27, 2011

Our child attended this school from 2-7 years old. While we felt that the preschool area of this Montessori school was strong and advanced, we felt that the lower elementary fell short in educating our child and did not cover material that should have been covered at that age such as material and subject matter in math, science and social studies. We also felt that there were children there with severe behavior problems that caused distractions and took time away from the other children's learning time. Also, certain issues regarding bullying were not addressed and the parents were not notified that their child was even causing emotional damage to other children. However, this school did give our child the skills he needed in preschool and kindergarten to succeed in a traditional school. I would give the preschool 4 stars, but the elementary 2 if there were separate ratings.

Posted February 3, 2011

This is one great school. Its the best private school in Chattanooga. Try it out-observe a classroom.

Posted April 13, 2010

Montessori has really made a difference in my childrens' lives.

Posted December 9, 2009

This is an excellent school with excellent faculty, administrators and academics. My child is 11 years old and has been in this school since he was just over 2. He has a firm grasp of academics and has been able to advance ahead of schedule. His emotional and social welfare is also a concern of the school and the environment is nurturing. He has been taught self-starting skills and organization and is going to be well equipped to excel in other schools as he grows older. I would recommend this school to anyone who values solid education for their child.

Posted August 28, 2009

This is the second private school (due to moving) in Chattanooga that my child has attended and I have to say that I am incredibly pleased with his progress! My childs reading and math skills are way beyond their grade level. I am incredibly involved with daily lessons and always keep up to date as to what they are doing in class. A parent has to take responsibility for what is going on with their childs education. If a parent is not aware that the child is behind, then maybe the parent or parents need to be alittle more involved in what the child is doing! I have been incredibly pleased with the staff re their effort to keep me informed of my childs progress, whether it is daily, weekly or monthly.

Posted July 25, 2009

Some good teachers here, but the principal's Montessori Method need some help. If a student is not where he or she should be, then they are given busy work as my child was done. No progress was made and so we took our child out. I just didn't see the academic environment here doing anything for our child. We changed schools and have been amazed by the dramatic academic improvement and achievements made in one year.

Posted May 9, 2009

I am surprised by the comments made by parents (who by chance do not list their names), who are posting negative comments about this school. I have 2 children who have attended for the past 3 years and they are doing well. Having one gifted son and one with challenges, they have both been taught according to their individual needs at their own level. I am pleased with the leadership and quality of the staff of TMS! I believe that communication is the most important factor in having your needs met by any school. The communication between staff and parents at TMS is phenominal! My oldest son will go to McCallie next year and I attribute the fine training at TMS for his success! Jenny V.

Posted April 22, 2009

Great teachers, terrible leadership/administration. Not very accomodating to parent's requests or personal goals for their child. It one way or the highway!

Posted February 18, 2009

Our children attended this school for two years and then my husband was transferred with his job out of state. When we moved, there was not another Montessori school in the area so we decided to put them in a nearby public school that was highly recommended. When the new school tested both children, we found that each of them were far behind what the school expected for their grade level. My oldest son was about 7 months behind where he needed to be and my other son was over 18 months behind where he should have been. As parents, we were surprised because both always got good report cards at TMS and were at or above where they were supposed to be. We chose this school because we were told it was far above any other school academically in the Chattanooga area. I wanted to share our disappointing experience.

Posted October 29, 2008

Having grown up in a quality Montessori school and home environment, I know what good Montessori should look and feel like. We enrolled our children in The Montessori School because it is a VERY good Montessori school. They are true to the Montessori method. Our children are leaps and bounds ahead of other children their age in math, reading, writing, social interaction, and language. The teachers are very well trained with 5-30 years of experience and show a true love of children and teaching. I don't give praise easily but I have to give The Montessori School 5 stars!

Posted October 8, 2008

We found poorly trained teachers. They were not equipped nor did they have the experience to deal with learning differences as their webpage and brochure states.

Posted September 20, 2008

I found the teachers to be inadequately trained. They were not able to adjust the lessons to the needs of the child. There seemed to be a lack of basic understanding about how children learn.

Posted June 27, 2008

We had a very unsatisfactory experience with this school over the past 2 years. I would give it a negative rating if that were possible. Although, I am a fan of Montessori Methodology, I am not a fan of the methodology at this school. Problems abound here & not acknowledged. Beware. After having this school recommened to my by my children's therapist, I decided to meet with the director and see about having my daughter admitted due to her learning needs. Once the director learned I had an older son who was an honor student at another private school, she told me she would not admit my daughter without me removing my son from his current school and having him attend as well. It is all about $$ not each child's needs. I was furious to be put in such a predicament. Now both are FAR behind where they should be.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 10% 2%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Language learning

Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Bobbe Spink
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Fax number
  • (423) 622-6027

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori
Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish

• Computer lab
  • Library

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code

Apply now