No rating

St. Peters Episcopal School

Private | PK-5 | 187 students

Living in Chattanooga

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $114,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $620.

Posted July 25, 2012

My boys have attended St. Peter's Episcopal School since they were 3 years old. Our boys education is a very HIGH PRIORITY for our family. My wife and I both work outside of the home and we have committed tremendously to this school both financially and "blood, sweat and tears" as well. St. Peter's welcomes families from all walks, income levels, etc. and has a solid PTA support system. It is a caring, loving and nurturing enviornment with RIGOROUS academic standards. The teachers are excellent and thoroughly committed to each student's success with little to no attrition annually. The admisitration is committed to maintaining our mission. ***After 30 years of service, the Principal is retiring during the 2012-2013 school year. It is an exciting time of tranisition for our school. The Search Committee made up of both parents, teachers and church leaders is committed to identifying the best candidate to continue the St. Peter's tradition of loving to learn and learning to love. What a gift we have been blessed to give both of our boys, the gift of a St. Peter's education. It is truly our boys second home!

Posted October 11, 2011

St. Peter's provides a warm, nurturing environment that makes it feel like home. A few of the specific things that stand out - all the kids look adults in the eye and say hello when you see them, they have lots of time to play outside and receive a huge emphasis on being active, lunches are catered by Whole Foods/ Greenlife (so very healthy), and most importantly to me, the community is tolerant and accepting of differences. While based in Episcopal tradition, the school welcomes students of all faiths and in weekly chapels, students celebrating birthdays receive a birthday blessing customized to his or her religion.

Posted October 3, 2011

St. Peter's has provided a wonderful learning environment for my 2 very different children. Having started in preschool, I have had the advantage of watching them grow into capable, confident, challenged young adults. The Core Knowledge Curriculum offers an incredible liberal arts education that rivals many middle school curriculums! The curriculum is only a curriculum without amazing teachers who can bring it alive, and the teachers at St. Peter's do this with inventive, memorable techniques that bridge the gap of learning in a classroom to a "real world" experience that children can relate to in meaningful ways.

Posted October 3, 2011

My now sixth grade daughter graduated from St. Peter's School last year. She was very well prepared for the challenging academic schedule she is now experiencing. She told me that while she loves her new upper school she will always call St. Peter's "home". I have second grader that is still benefiting from such a special place that we call our school and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a school that will act as an extension of your home as well as a place where your child will be challenged academically and spiritually.

Posted August 4, 2010

In addition to its exceptional Core Knowledge Curriculum, St. Peter's teaches many life skills such as leadership, how to get along with others, respect for their peers, their environment and strives to nurture spiritual growth in each individual child. I highly recommend this special place!

Posted November 19, 2009

I have two children at St. Peter's and have been there for five years. We have been so pleased with the quality of education they have benefited from. The teachers are incredible. Everyday I feel so glad that I get to leave them to grow in such a spiritually nurturing environment. We have made a significant financial sacrifice to be able to send them to this school and would not have it any other way.

Posted November 7, 2009

The small caring atmosphere & the great teachers.

Posted May 27, 2009

I am parent of a 1st grader and a 4th grader. We have been at St. Peter's for 5 years. I cannot say enough about this incredible school . The fact that it is nurturing is well known but because the classes are small each child is able to develop a strong sense of self being. I have spoken to the admission directors of Baylor, GPS and McCallie. Each director has said that St. Peters children are always prepared and tend to be the most well rounded children. In addition, I have spoken to 6th graders at these schools that attended St. Peters and they have all said they were well prepared and find 6th grade to be easy! If you are looking for a new school I strongly suggest that you look at St. Peter's you simply cannot go wrong.

Posted February 20, 2009

My child attended St. Peter's last year, and we decided to move him to a new school this year. The issue at St. Peter's is that the academics and enrichment activities do not measure up to the top-notch private schools in town. Many parents I talked to were supplementing the children's education at home to get them ready for Baylor, GPS, etc. I do agree that St. Peter's is a nuturing school like the other reviewers have noted. However, a great school should excel in all facets of a child's development. . .and St. Peter's academics/ enrichment activities do not measure up. Lastly, for future potential parents, the posted tuition does not tell the whole story. Once our child enrolled, we were pressured with donation requests incessantly. The requests crossed the line several times (telling the kids that their class would have a special party if all their parents donated, etc.)

Posted November 21, 2008

We have two children at St Peter's - one in preschool and one in kindergarten. Our children are delighted to go to school each day and blossom in the caring, supportive environment. Each time I am in the classroom, I am struck by the specific attention given each child. The teachers are experienced, effective and loving.

Posted November 21, 2008

I have 3 children at St. Peter's school. We have been through kindergarten for 2 of our children. The teacher's (both classes) are very nice. They have different styles but children are different. They have the best interest of the child in mind. First grade is wonderful. The teachers (Mrs. Allen) are wonderful. I am at the school all the time and the tone is always the same. I come in and out and help. The teacher's do not know when a parent is around or not. They are always kind to the children. The teacher's do not put a show on for visiting parents. What you see is what you get. There is no perfect school. You just need to find the school that best fits your child.

Posted November 20, 2008

We have a third grader and an up coming kindergartender. My third grader has blossomed at St Peters. She came as a shy kindergartender and the loving nurturing teachers brought her shining personality out in a loving systematic way. She fourished that year and it set the foundation in which she has excelled in proceeding years. I cannot wait for my second child to enter the kindergarten class next year - we are very thankful to have been able to give this gift of a primary education at St. Peters to our children. I encourage anyone looking to send their children to any school to interview parents as well as teachers and staff when making a decision.

Posted November 20, 2008

Each child is special. St. Peters recognizes that not all children learn the exact same way at the exact same time. Children will eventually learn the basic subjects regardless of where they attend school. However, your child only gets one chance to be a child and to develop who they are going to be as young adults. At St. Peters is you get it all: outstanding academics and the nurturing environment. The kids are taught the main subjects as well as P.E, Spanish, Art and Music. In addition they are taught to respect themselves, others, our planet, and community. They learn to be good people and to do the right thing. They encourage their friends and help each other instead of mocking and bullying. I have witnessed so many special things and am blessed that our daughter is here. Tara Hogue-parent

Posted November 20, 2008

I do not agree with the person who posted something about the kindergarten teachers. Both classes are great. I have 3 children at St. Peter's and 2 of my children went through kindergarten last year. The teachers care for the children. Mrs. Betty/Jedro are really nice. First grade is great! The teachers at St. Peter's are really nice. I know the teacher's are the same whenever you visit the school. They do not put on a show for visiting parents.

Posted November 20, 2008

Choosing St. Peter s church and school is the best choice we have made for our family. I thought I realized the value of this choice as I have watched my boys through St. Peter s preschool, kindergarten and into grade school. I thought I could tell from their love of school, love of friends, love of teachers and love of faith. What I have realized is that I have learned the most about the gifts of St. Peter s as my kids leave and face the challenges of middle school and beyond. I am always proud when my kids get compliments but I have heard many times from my sons middle school teachers, and advisors they can tell he is a St Peter s Kid . They say St. Peter s kids standout because of their kind hearts and acceptance of others. I realize this as a see my kids reach out to kids who need it. I hope I can learn from them how to be less judgmental and a little more loving. They are only giving back what they were given at St. Peters.

Posted November 20, 2008

We have been at St. Peter's for six years and the school has continued to exemplify the highest standards in educating our children, teaching citizenship along with the equivalent amount of nurturing and love for each individual child! The choice is clear to anyone who seeks the best in education and in promoting the best inner self for their child!

Posted November 20, 2008

St. Peter's is a great school! It's really important to find a school that 'fits' your family. St. Peter's does great things for my daughter, not to mention my family. They understand that I am her first teacher & how important it is to work together...family, child & teacher. When we came to St. Peter's as a preschool family, we thought we could not have had a better year or better teachers. We was wrong. Ms. Betty & Ms. Jedro are just as exceptional! Each teacher we have had has taken time to talk with me about my daughter, even calling me at home. My daughter knows these teachers love her.

Posted November 20, 2008

I have two children at St. Peter's, one in kindergarten and one in Pre-K. I cannot imagine them being anywhere else. Every morning when I drop them off I feel such a sense of peace that my children are loved and nurtured. The curriculum is top-notch. My children are learning so much more than just the basics. Every teacher (6 in all) that we have had has been excellent!!! Ms. Lanza and the administration has a wonderful presence and they possess the right combination of structure and nurture. Thank you St. Peter's!!!

Posted November 18, 2008

This is an excellent school, I have four children, 1 graduate & 3 who are currently in school here. We Love St. Peter's. I can not say enough about what a loving enviornment it is. We have been overall happy with all of the teachers and staff and with the education we are getting. I want to reference an earlier post. We currently have a child in kindergarten and two who have already been through kindergarten and we have no complaints about either class, all four teachers are loving & each bring different strengths to the classes, we have been so happy with each of our children's Kindergarten experiences and all of our children are very different, I think every child's needs are addressed & met here. We wouldn't have our children anywhere else.

Posted November 11, 2008

If you want to attend a school that would welcome concerns about your child or teaching curriculum, then you should look elsewhere. If you have a problem or concern, you are looked at as being a trouble maker. And ask the school how many families have left St. Peters this past year. And then ask them why and what they are actively doing to improve their school. Also, look very closely at the classrooms. If you look at the Kindergarten classes you will see quite a different environment. One class seems more welcoming with children smiling, while the other seems more like the children were scared to speak out and be actively involved. I would encourage you to visit the school when the teachers aren't expecting you and listen to the subject matter and tone being taught. Lastly, the Head of School is unfortunately very resistant to change.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 2%

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 8:30am
School end time
  • 3:00pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Episcopal
Associations
  • NAES
  • NAEYC

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Choir / Chorus

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
  • Because we are a small school, we depend heavily on our parents to provide help in almost all areas of school sustainability. as a result, we are more than a school community...we are a family!