6-12|Private

Bad
Good

Fantastic school. Most of the teachers I had there were terrific, several with doctorates in their field and others with Ivy League educations. There are so many ways to get involved on campus - whether through arts, athletics, sciences, music, etc. It's a school where you have to want to be there, because between rigorous classes, lots of homework, athletic commitments, etc., there is not much time to rest except on weekends. The school offers a lot of activities for boarding students on weekends - trips, busses downtown, dorm athletic competitions, etc. School tuition is equal to some colleges. However, there are a lot of need-based scholarships and merit scholarships available. My one quibble, which the previous poster also mentioned is the athletic program. The facilities are phenomenal, but the athletic department stacks their hires with good ol' boys. They are tone deaf to most alumni, parents, and non-coaching faculty concerns and questions. One word of advice, take advantage of the strong McCallie alumni network after college. Lots of connected people throughout the southeast who can help you out. The McCallie brotherhood is very strong.

My son graduated from McCallie and is now graduated from college. While at McCallie he experienced success both academically and athletically. The majority of his teachers were high caliber and encouraged the students. He was very well prepared for success at the next level of education. A few of the teachers were arrogant with their own agenda but most were very good. The athletic department was disappointing as they view the student athletes more as employees instead of well paying customers. The parents are not welcomed or embraced by the athletic department in any way. If you have a problem with the treatment of your son by a coach, then it will fall on deaf ears. This experience is from a parent whose son was a 4 year starter at McCallie and went on to enjoy a successful NCAA D1 athletic career.

My son just finished his first semester as a boarder at McCallie and it has exceeded our expectations in every regard. I will admit that the boarding school experience was new to our family and that my son, not us as parents, pushed enrollment at McCallie. Over the course of just one semester we have watched him mature and become more self sufficient and independent. There is a sense of brotherhood and belonging for every student and everyone can find a way to excel through academics, sports, music, chess, debate, community service, arts and a million more activities. We loved the weekend program that encourage freshman to get off campus and explore the local and regional community. Best of all McCallie allowed my son to regain his love for singing which was less than cool in his public middle school as a boy. I do wish the school was a bit more diverse.

Our son has just finished his freshman year here as a boarding student, and we were new to the boarding school experience with no family having done this before. We had alot of reservations, being big supporters of public schools, but knew we needed something different than the high school experience we had with our other children. We have had a wonderful year, with all of our reservations replaced with confidence in an extremely well qualified teaching staff, and an experienced yet always kind and caring administrative staff. The experience of "living on his own", with a strong safety net of dorm advisors and RAs, has given our son a level of maturity he would not have otherwise. The academic curriculum is as rigorous as any high school student can handle (with no ceiling that we could see depending on where you come in academically), but they also seem to understand that school should be more than just academics. The sports, music, theater, and other extracurriculars are very strong, and they try to make sure each student finds a "niche". These folks really do seem to know how to "inspire boys, and build (fine young) men." We couldn't be more pleased.

I am very familiar with the private schools in Atlanta, and, compared to them, McCallie is in a league of its own. The end product is a young man of integrity. We live in Atlanta, and I wrestled with "loosing" my son during these very important, formative years. I now tell folks, "If you REALLY love your son, you'll do WHATEVER you can to send him to McCallie."

McCallie has to be the greatest middle school on earth. I'm a sixth grader and have only been there two weeks and I love it.

Fantastic place for a boy to become a man and to learn how to become independent. The teachers are there to model honor, truth, duty and to find that special skill and ability in each kid that will unleash his abilities. There is enough variety that each boy will find his passion and will be given the space to grow and use his gifts.

Absolutely an excellent school, great staff, boarding community, and day student body. The brotherhood is incredible.

This truly is a fantastic school. I don't know what you could want that you can't get here. We sent our sons here because of their academic notoriety, but what we got was far more valuable. Our sons have of course gained from the academic perspective, but they have also developed refined character as well. The are well spoken and polite and this is a direct result of the influence of this school and it's teachers. We would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone looking. Your results will be a well educated, fine, gentleman.

Last modified Mccallie School is a Private school that serves grades 6-12