Grace Baptist Academy

Private | PK-12 | 610 students

Living in Chattanooga

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $151,200. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $710.

Sweep tile

Posted October 29, 2012

Our children have attended Grace Academy in elementary, middle and high school. Although there have been non academic difficulties in recent years and tough administrative decisions, it is clear that the leadership is moving forward to provide a top academic and God centered education to its students/families. Improvements are being made to the facilities and the faculty continues to be wonderful, Godly influences and top notch educators. With no shortage of Christian education choices in Chattanooga,Grace Academy's history of excellence in educating, fostering, and developing Christian world view graduates, my experience is that Grace stands out from the others.

Posted October 2, 2012

My 3 kids have gone to Grace for all of their elementary school years. The teachers are fantastic in every way. They treat my kids like they are part of their family and my kids have all been challenged appropriately for their level and have grown spiritually by leaps and bounds. There definitely have been leadership changes in the past few years that the school, but that has not changed the fact that the teachers at this school are EXCELLENT! Please read the reviews carefully on this site and understand the context that they written under, especially the ones from students or parents that didn't stick thru the changes.

Posted August 3, 2012

I went to Grace from 4th to 8th grade, I liked it at times and I hated it at times. I felt that the majority of students there were extremely judgmental and hypocritical. One minute they would be excited about God, and the next minute they were making someone run to the bathroom crying. I found myself thinking that if this is the way Christians act, then I don't want to be one anymore. There was also lots of drama, and it made going to school very stressful for me. On a good note, I thought that the academics and teachers were very good. I have noticed that I excel in my classes because of the advanced courses that I took in 8th grade. I am now 15 and I'm already enrolled in college(due to a program offered at a local college). I don't think I'd be where I am today academically if I hadn't gone to Grace. But, even so, I do not recommend GBA.

Posted May 22, 2012

Our student attended Grace for 10 years. Last year we saw the loss of the Headmaster, Asst. Headmaster and the return of the original headmaster as interim. My son was asked to leave because in a meeting with this headmaster seniors were asked what changes they would like to see for the incoming seniors. My son along with another senior said it would be nice to have foreign language offered in Middle school as an High school credit as is offered in Public School, to which the Interim replied " well maybe thats where you should go" We received a phone call stating our son should look for another school to graduate from the same afternoon. The student body and parents had been told in a meeting that test scores were low and curriculum needed to change.Our son a senior has had no discipline issues at all. We were stunned.We had been very involved at this school for years.We asked if our son had been disrespectful he said no but, that he questioned the education he was receiving, no other faculty or staff was aware of or present for this meeting and they were stunned he was asked to leave. Grace is behind in academics. I do not recommend this learning institution for High School.

Posted August 8, 2011

There is a reason no one has reported on Grace in almost two years. The enrollment has dropped significantly. The new headmaster reported Grace has the lowest standardized testing scores of all the private schools in Chattanooga. The once "Spirit Field" campus is now really depressing. My two high school age kids are now attending school some where else.

Posted October 30, 2009

An awesome place for kids to learn and grow in the Lord. Outstanding programs.

Posted August 12, 2009

I have a senior at Grace. She has always excelled at the school and is very happy. She has completed several college courses and enrolled in more for this year. I am happy they have given her this opportunity to get a jump start on her hours. I am proud she in involved in a Christian School with Biblical principles.

Posted March 4, 2009

My children have attended Grace for the past 9 years. I have been very pleased with their education. Both of their achievement tests scores are at least 2 grade levels ahead and they are both scoring in the top ten percent in the country. Along with a desire to achieve excellence in academices, the school focuses on helping others in our community and around the world. This has taught my children to appreciate all that they have and that they need to help others who are less fortunate than they are. I am so proud to be a part of a school that is teaching my child not only to love the Lord but to love others also. I see from Grace a focus on the Lord and on others. Thank you Grace for teaching my children not only how to make a living some day but how to live.

Posted March 4, 2009

I love Grace Academy. I have been a student at Grace for the past 9 years and I wouldn't wont to go anywhere else. My teachers care about how I am doing academically and spiritually. I am thankful my parents have sacrificed to send me to such a wonderful school.
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 2, 2009

well, I'm a student and I can truthfully say I don't want to be at any other school. Sure, Grace has its flaws but what school doesn't? The teachers have high expectations of you, and they teach well also. I'm in 8th grade at Grace and I have attended there every since I was in Pre-k. I love it here. Go Eagles!! :)
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 11, 2009

We are very pleased with the PreK program. Our twins are in separate classes and the teachers use the same protocol so they are exceeding at the same rate. In addition, they are far ahead of the Kindergarten class in our districts public school and they are just Pre Kindsergarten. The teachers are fantastic and keep us up to date on how our children are progressing. We love this school!

Posted June 5, 2008

My children have gone to Grace for 4 years now and we feel it is time to switch schools. Grace started out being a great school for my kids. It has however declined over the past 4 years. The focus of the school has changed from educating our students here to helping educate students in other parts of the world. They have joined a very worthy cause and I commend them on the work they have done for this other country, but the school here seems to be suffering because of it. This school appears to be behind the curve in Math and Technology. Their vision seems to be good, but the methods of acheiving this do not seem to be working. This will probably be a great school again in 5 or 6 years but for now I would look elsewhere.

Posted November 14, 2007

We are new to Grace this year and so far our family is very happy overall. We have sent our children to public schools in two different states prior to this. We feel the teachers and the principals are caring, involved and passionate people. I certainly don't feel that my kids are missing out on anything. We are blessed to be able to send them to Grace.

Posted April 3, 2007

My children have attended Grace for 5 years and my last one is about to graduate. Over the years, this school has meant alot to us. The administration works very hard to have a spirit of excellence in all they do. I believe a child gets out of an education what they put into it, and the teachers are there to help. The sports and music programs are one of the best I've seen. I highly recommend Grace Academy. I'm so glad Grace was there when my family needed it and we will miss them when we're gone!

Posted April 6, 2006

My daughter is attending Grace Baptist Academy, and I have to say that I am very pleased with the teachers, administration, and all that is a part of the school. I see that some have review the school as lack of consistency and I have to say that this is not an accurate portrayal of this school. It is by far and excellent school and environment for my child to learn and exel! It takes parent involvement for any child to succeed, many times the school and teachers are held liable for being the only ones that teach a child. My child's teacher requires parent involvment. If you want to have a child that excels in academics and moral values, than I recommend this school. If consistency is what you want than Grace has consistently proven to value each child and see that each one exceeds in their studies.

Posted May 29, 2004

My four children have attended Grace for the past six years. When my daughter finished fifth grade she applied to attend Girls Preparatory School here in Chattanooga and scored in the top 10% of applicants in both math and english. Academically, Grace students have scored in the top 10% on national achievement tests from kindergarten through through the senior class. This has allowed them to apply for the National School of Excellence designation. But, the most important aspect of Grace Academy is this: the teachers and principals love the Lord and the students. They desire that each child mature spiritually, walking in truth, learning to love the Lord and each other. My children have seen this lived out in the lives of their teachers and principals in the halls at Grace Academy.

Posted February 24, 2004

My child has attended Grace for the last 3 years and I could not be more pleased with the quality of education she is getting. Her scores have always been above average. Along with a quality education she is also getting spiritual guidence from teachers and staff members that all work together to provide a safe, happy and caring learning environment. She has never been in a class with more than eighteen students. As far as the tuition goes-I feel it is very reasonable when compared to other private schools in the area. I would advise anyone who wants their child to have a quality education and the ability to express themselves spiritually to consider Grace.

Posted February 20, 2004

I have sent my children to Grace since kingergarten. I have to say that Grace has given my children an incredible Christ-centered education. My children love the Lord and have been taught to serve Him not only in our home but in school as well. The teachers have loved them and nurtured them so much!! I have a kindergartener and a third grader. My third grader's achievement tests scores last year were three to four years above his grade level. He is reading on a fifth grade level and loves school. My kindergartener is already reading and is excited everyday to go to school. The school's high achievement tests scores have qualified them for a National School of Excellence. I have been so pleased with Grace!! I would recommend our school highly!!!

Posted October 31, 2003

I sent both of my children to Grace since kindergarten, however, felt it necessary to withdraw them from Grace this past school year. The focus of the administration has declined from education of the students focusing on finances and how much money the school can bring in. The classes have become too large to accomodate the children and it shows as the SAT's are much lower. All in all, the quality of the school has greatly declined over the past several years and consistency is a major problem starting with the top of administration all the way down to the teachers and cafeteria workers. As far as recommending for an education, it was alright for kindergarten and possibly first grade, but it all goes down hill after that. My fifth grader is about a year and a half behind in math than that of the public school. It really makes you wonder why you would pay that amount of money each month not to have the best of education surpassing even that of the public school system.

Posted August 26, 2003

After many years of sending our children to this school, we are very disappointed with the results. This is a school with very poor leadership, a lack of consistency in the application of discipline and little to no focus on excellence which stems from the top. Their number one priority is sports - certainly not excellence in education. There are certainly better options in Chattanooga than Grace! Go elsewhere for a quality education.

Asian 3% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Baptist
Associations
  • ACSI

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

7815 Shallowford Rd