PK-12|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

As a graduate of Grace Academy who has been out of school for a "few years", I am pleased to see how the Academy continues to grow and change to meet the educational needs that students have. While it is certainly not the same as when I graduated, it is good to see that even though the educational styles and classroom technology change, the passion that their teachers have to educate kids from a Christian worldview does not change. Learning about things like the school's partnership with Apple and the use of Apple products in the classroom is a great reminder to me of how Grace always is trying to find new ways to meet the needs of students and to help them succeed.
April 27, 2015

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

This school is absolutely the worst! I don't even know where to begin: the teachers, the curriculum, or the facilities??? The teachers: totally unresponsive to parents and do not have mastery of their subject matter. The curriculum: for the most part, is secular and not Christian, and is totally iPad-based, so no writing or penmanship is ever done. Lots of busy work is assigned and the essentials are neglected. The facilities: dated, dilapidated, and falling apart. Carpet torn everywhere, lockers are dented & rusted, and paint peeling off the walls. Run from this place as fast as you can!!!

Develops character: Neutral

This school has not been the same since their new leadership came in. Attendance is way down, and they are struggling to keep students.

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted April 27, 2015

Grace Academy is really advancing in technology. I am so excited to see the new computer science courses being offered. I have loved the "family atmosphere" and Biblical worldview but it is great to see the strong academic program being emphasized throughout all grade levels.

I would first like to say that there are some very good, well educated teachers at this school. There are also some that I would not put in this category. As far as the school's administration there is an issue with listening and acting on parent's concerns. The concerns you have are "listened to" out of courtesy, but nothing is done. I would especially say that that is definitely the case in the elementary school. The new leadership will get there I am sure, but at the expense of a lot of unhappy parents. People skills, listening to parents and really offering good solutions is the only way this school will grow. This is one of the many reasons other area private Christian schools are flourishing and Grace is not. Our children have attended this school since preschool. Unfortunately, we have decided that the academics are not the quality that we want for our children, so we are taking the next steps. If you are considering this school be sure to ask lots of questions, check out their curriculum and do your research. The prices are cheaper than most area private school, but sometimes the cheapest doesn't mean it has the same quality.

My children went to GBA for many years. I was also a parent and employee at the school for many years. Over the past couple of years there have been many changes in the faculty and administration. A school that was first and foremost Christ-centered and poised for greatness as a result of wanting to implement many wonderful innovative ideas, a desire for academic excellence, and an athletic program that was very competitive has all come crashing down as a result of lies and very poor decisions administratively. Unfortunately, because of a disgruntled employee, many accusations were thrown around and the pastor of the church and current iterim headmaster chose to believe the lies of "loyal followers" instead of searching out the truth and listening to many wise teachers, administrators, parents, etc.... As a result, many wonderful families, faculty members, and administrators had no choice but to leave the school. What a sad history to what was once one of the premier schools in Chattanooga.

Our children have attended Grace Academy in elementary, middle and high school. Although there have been non academic difficulties in recent years and tough administrative decisions, it is clear that the leadership is moving forward to provide a top academic and God centered education to its students/families. Improvements are being made to the facilities and the faculty continues to be wonderful, Godly influences and top notch educators. With no shortage of Christian education choices in Chattanooga,Grace Academy's history of excellence in educating, fostering, and developing Christian world view graduates, my experience is that Grace stands out from the others.

My 3 kids have gone to Grace for all of their elementary school years. The teachers are fantastic in every way. They treat my kids like they are part of their family and my kids have all been challenged appropriately for their level and have grown spiritually by leaps and bounds. There definitely have been leadership changes in the past few years that the school, but that has not changed the fact that the teachers at this school are EXCELLENT! Please read the reviews carefully on this site and understand the context that they written under, especially the ones from students or parents that didn't stick thru the changes.

I went to Grace from 4th to 8th grade, I liked it at times and I hated it at times. I felt that the majority of students there were extremely judgmental and hypocritical. One minute they would be excited about God, and the next minute they were making someone run to the bathroom crying. I found myself thinking that if this is the way Christians act, then I don't want to be one anymore. There was also lots of drama, and it made going to school very stressful for me. On a good note, I thought that the academics and teachers were very good. I have noticed that I excel in my classes because of the advanced courses that I took in 8th grade. I am now 15 and I'm already enrolled in college(due to a program offered at a local college). I don't think I'd be where I am today academically if I hadn't gone to Grace. But, even so, I do not recommend GBA.

Last modified Grace Baptist Academy is a Private school that serves grades PK-12