Silverdale Baptist Academy

Private | PK-12 | 989 students

Our school is best known for its Christian atmosphere and academic standards.

Living in Chattanooga

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $151,200. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $710.

Sweep tile

Posted January 15, 2014

I graduated from SBA and was very satisfied with the education I received. I went to a secular university and held my own perfectly well in regards to geology/earth science and my understanding of the classics. SBA teaches from a Christian worldview, but that's not surprising considering it is a Christian school. It doesn't mean they don't expose you to competing ideas. In fact, they do tell you what else is out there. They just uphold Scripture as the ultimate authority: which they should as a Christian school. I have no complaints about my experience at SBA.

Posted December 19, 2013

Save your child's sanity, do not send your kid here. If you want your child to be in an anti-secular and intolerant environment, and unable to comfortably voice their personal opinion that's different from SBA's, then this school is perfect. SBA likes to keep a tight leash on everyone and if you loosen that leash; SBA has no fear to expel you. A few of my schoolmates have been kicked out for the dumbest tedious things, it's ridiculous. There is no different opinion, there's only SBA's view. SBA does not prepare you for college sciences, literature, or even arts. Your kid will have to relearn any geology/earth science & will be the only student in class that hasn't read any of the classics. SBA's art class was pathetic, the class is strict and you can't even express yourself in the one class you should be able to. I haven't met one graduate student that has anything positive to say except for the ones who were happy they were able to escape. The parents' reviews here are obviously biased, read the student's reviews. Save your money and send your kid to different school like Baylor or McCallie, that will actually prepare them for college work and material.

Posted November 18, 2013

I have two children at SBA. My youngest is in preschool and my oldest began in K and is now in 2nd. This is an awesome place. Both boys absolutely love the school. We aren't super involved parents at the school but are very well informed about everything and have every opportunity to get more involved. The principals and headmaster as well as all of the other leadership at the school demonstrate the highest character. They are super friendly and somehow remember all of the children by name. This is a very impressive place, not because of the buildings and amazing campus, but because of their staff, children and parents who all make it great.

Posted October 1, 2013

I have a daughter who graduated from SBA. She had been in another local Christian school for 11 years before transferring. At first I was hesitant for her to leave an established Christian school for one that hadn't been in existence more than 3 years, but it was well worth the change. Her education was amazing & she excelled in college, which lays to rest these claims I've read about not being prepared for higher education facilities. When you go to a Christian school, you get biblical teaching. It isn't bible "thumping" but biblical "truth" that is the main focus of the school. For some of these former students to claim otherwise is unfortunate. They have missed the whole point of the existence of Jesus Christ. He stands for truth. That's what they get at SBA...no more, no less. The apostle Paul states that if a Christian brother or sister is caught in sin, it's the church's responsibility to bring it to their attention & if they still refuse to obey the teachings of Jesus in regards to lifestyle behavior, they are to be expelled from the church. SBA follows this procedure, but with love & compassion. For someone to state otherwise, is simply not truth!

Posted October 1, 2013

Excellent education! As a graduate of SBA, I can honestly say that I was well prepared academically and spiritually for life. I went on to graduate with honors from a top-100 undergraduate business program, as ranked by Business Week magazine. I then also pursued and earned a master's degree, graduating with honors again. I love the fact that students at SBA are taught creationism and the evolutionary theory and are taught to scientifically analyze both theories to discover the truth. Students are actually presented with the scientific fallacies of the evolutionary theory, instead of just being taught that it is true without mentioning the many scientific errors therein. Students are taught to think, instead of just being fed information. I also love that the students are actually presented with many popular religions/worldviews in class and are taught how to analyze them from a biblical worldview. I so appreciated how my teachers and the administration cared for me while I was a student at SBA. I honestly knew that they loved me and desired the best for my life. I wouldn't trade my years at SBA for anything, and I strongly recommend the school without hesitation.

Posted September 30, 2013

I have had one student graduate from Silverdale and I currently have one student in high school. We came from another Christian School in the area and I can truly say that Silverdale is a blessing. My oldest has now graduated from college and she was so prepared to deal with "the world". She went to a Christian college and was shocked, but prepared, to deal with the worldly decisions of her peers. My youngest was saved and baptized at Silverdale even though we don't go to Church there. I couldn't be happier with the godly teachers, administration and staff that has helped us raise our children. I give them much of the credit for the godly young ladies my girls have grown into, and I give God the glory for bringing us to this academy. We are very blessed.

Posted September 30, 2013

I have been associated with Silverdale Baptist Academy for the past three years. I am so impressed with the quality of teachers and students that are at SBA. SBA is a school that is centered around Jesus Christ and they are not ashamed to let you know that! Excellence is also the focus of SBA and they teach their students to strive for excellence is every aspect of their lives. SBA truly teaches to the "whole child." I cannot wait until my young child can attend SBA and be enriched by all it has to offer!

Posted September 30, 2013

My school's foundation is based on the Lord Jesus Christ and his Word, the Bible. The teacher's love their students and are willing to go the extra mile to make learning fun and to work with different learning styles. The administration is very knowledgeable and love the students and the teachers. You can't beat Silverdale Baptist Academy!

Posted September 30, 2013

SBA is not the only private Christian school I have been affiliated with, but it is certainly the best. It's foundation was built on Jesus Christ and His principles, He has the reigns and He is responsible for the incredible things that have been accomplished in the 13 years since SBA opened as a K-12 school. Incredible obstacles have been overcome, the growth has been astounding and hundreds of alumni have testified to the life changes that took place during their time here. We strive to be excellent in all that we do, whether it be ministering to the needs of a student with learning challenges, or cheering on the academically elite to push the limits. Our coaches, teachers and staff mentor and teach the whole child. We strive to raise up Godly young men and women who are not afraid to defend their faith and tackle a fallen world with the ultimate goal of leading the lost to meet their Savior. What greater accomplishment is there? This happens at this school. That is why I have dedicated almost 14 years to this place. I don't regret a minute of it.

Posted September 30, 2013

I graduated from SBA. I read some of the reviews and was very sad to hear what a few disgruntled students said. I went on to graduate from college with a 4.0. How does that happen if the school was lacking? It is impossible to please everyone, but my experience at SBA was great. As for the "Bible Thumpers"....that is a term many kids who don't want to be at a Christian school use. As for the "intolerance" that was mentioned....It is not intolerence when you follow God's commandments. SBA speaks the truth. Keep it up SB!!!

Posted September 3, 2013

Silerdale is an incredible school. It is evidenced by the behavior of the students not just at school, but in the community. It has the academic as well as spiritual element, exceeding in both areas. Well rounded including sports and fine arts, an excellent return on investment.

Posted July 23, 2013

Very Disappointed in this school. Silverdale is put up on a high pedestal so naturally as a student you want to go here. I was completely blindsided by how this school actually works. I transferred over into 10th grade and they seemed so sweet until I spent a while their as a student. They blew us off over a couple of problems we had and never resolved them. I was naive to think I wanted to spend my whole junior and senior years here because during my junior year everything went down hill fast. Silverdale don't care for their students needs and doesn't do a good job in preparing them for college. I decided that I didn't want to spend my last year at Silverdale so I ventured out to a different private school. The dean at this school said that Silverdale messed up my credits bad. They signed me up for physical science twice when I took it during my freshman year. I had the impression I was in good trusting hands but turns out I got cheated by the administration for not properly doing their job. Now when I could have been taking college courses my senior year and enjoying, I had to take Biology. Words can't describe how saddened I am to find out Silverdale ruined my senior year.

Posted September 10, 2012

As a graduate of Silverdale, I can truly say that I was completely underprepared for higher education. They do not teach enough classic literature and replace it with books such as THIS PRESENT DARKNESS and other Christian "novels". Their arts programs are unsatisfactory and do not prepare or serve students who have an interest in the arts. I am also very unsettled their level of intolerance. I personally know of students who have been expelled for being "homosexual" or have different beliefs. They make students sign an agreement to tell the truth and adhere to an honor code, and yet they kick out students for telling the truth. Many of my fellow peers agree that our experience there did us a huge disservice in preparation for our future. It may be nice for the parents to know that their children are in a "Christian" environment, but the principles they teach and the actions they take are anything but Christian.

Posted April 10, 2011

This school never ceases to amaze me. I heard this school lacked academics...just the opposite. I am blessed to have found a school with just the right balance of academics,athletics and spiritual formation. The involvement of the teachers in my Childs life is incredible. It is not just a job for them...it is a passion. Kudos Silverdale for being a stellar school!

Posted March 25, 2010

My child graduated from SBA. She excelled because of the academic and spiritual foundation that she received at SBA. She is excelling in college and she contributes that to the education she received at SBA. Our family got to witness the hand of God as he provided a debt free sporting facility, including football, softball and baseball fields debt free. It is reassuring to know that my child has prospered both academically, spiritually and socially.

Posted March 24, 2010

My children have attended SBA for 7 years. The excellent education that is provided to them has exceeded my expectations. SBA is driven to integrate God's Word into every facet of our children's lives and teaching them a Biblical worldview is essential now more than ever. The QUALITY of the education is THERE as many of SBA's graduates have received full scholarships from some of the most prestigious colleges and universities. The community service and partnership SBA has with the parents is extraordinary and it shows from the leadership of the Headmaster all the way down to the maintenance staff.

Posted January 20, 2010

I have a current student at the school who came from another private school. If your main concern is the religious education of your child then this is the school for you. If you are after a n education that will propel your child to be successful in life then look for another school. The parents that seem to be happy are the ones that have never sent their child to another school thus have nothing to compare it against. The education is just not there

Posted April 10, 2009

Absolutely fabulous school! The headmaster and staff are wonderful people who truly have the best interests of their students in their heart. My son is a special needs child and prior to coming to Silverdale, he was moved to four different public schools so I have a good perspective from which to compare. Their IMPACT program that serves kids that need that extra bit of help has taught him valuable life skills and helped him become a well rounded young man. We have truly found a home at this school!

Posted November 3, 2008

Our son attends SBA and has since he was in Kindergarten. We believe this is the most excellent Christian school in the Southeast. Our son in challenged spiritually, academically, and athletically. The school has just completed a 2 million dollar project on their sports complex. Students now have a football stadium, baseball fields, and softball fields. The school is very balanced in their discipline. The rules present are rules that keep all students safe and accountable. The administration and teachers are second to none! Highly recommend to anyone!

Posted October 16, 2008

okay since the last review of silverdale wasn't very current i felt it should be updated, last year i went to silverdale for two years I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT the rules are ridiculous though i think there should be strict order in high school's most here are very over dramatic about there focus though there are good teachers that have great goals there are also teachers that just want the money and could care less about students. Also if you want your child to be big in sports THIS IS NOT THE RIGHT SCHOOL, they are currently making they're sporting fields but its will be around four years till finish so if you want to your child in high school here wait until at least 2011, you might get your money's worth then
—Submitted by a student

Asian 2% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

College readiness and student pathways

Colleges most students attend after graduation UTC
Chattanooga State
UTK
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Latin
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• Speech and language impairments
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Computer lab
  • Outdoor learning lab
  • Science lab

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:05 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Rebecca Hansard
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • Infant
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Block scheduling
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Baptist
Associations
  • ACE
Fax number
  • (423) 648-7600

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Advanced placement courses
  • Classical (e.g., focuses on the "classics")
  • College prep
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Honors track
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
  • Service learning
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Improv
  • Poetry
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club
  • Chess club
  • Community service
  • Dance club: tap
  • Drama club
  • Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA)
  • National Honor Society

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor

Tuition range for the 2013-2014 school year
$6000 - $9000
Vouchers accepted

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
UTC
Chattanooga State
UTK
College preparation / awareness offered
College prep programs/courses during the year
College presentations or information sessions
SAT/ACT prep classes
School-sponsored trips to college campuses

7236 Bonny Oaks Drive