Westview Elementary School

Public | K-5

Posted July 9, 2007

My son has been at Westview for the past 2 years, and I have thoroughly enjoyed watching him learn and grow - he loves his classmates, teacher (Mrs Pirtle) and GOING TO SCHOOL!!! My wife and I both have had the opportunity to help with the classes, and go to class activities. It is exciting to be involved in a school that is so family friendly and family oriented. I have enjoyed watching teachers interact with the students - you all have done such a great job (especially Mrs Pirtle - my son had her as both his Kindergarten and First Grade teacer) Keep up the good work!! By the way, I would love to see Mrs Pirtle move to the second grade :-)

Posted July 13, 2005

I agree with the college student. there are many teachers yelling at students, even kindergartners. The safety of the children needs to be evaluated. There is not a fence around the playgrounds and teachers DO NOT watch the children. But pointing that out to Ms. Williams makes her angry. How dare someone accuse her teachers of not doing their job! Academically, my child by far exceeded my expactations. But the saftey of my child and other children are more important.

Posted May 2, 2005

I am so excited to have my little Pre K 5 year old to go to this school. It is beautiful and the Principal makes sure the children stay in line. No loud children here.

Posted October 26, 2004

This is a wonderful school mrs. Margo and her staff are devoted to providing the quality education of a private school in a public school. Would have put my children in private if not for her wonderful school

Posted August 10, 2004

It's impossible to express how exceptional I think Westview is in every aspect. We have excellent teachers who work with and include parents. Parental invovlement is HUGE and something that makes us all proud. The children are happy and they consistently score very well on achievement tests. The principal, Mrs. Williams, is fair, bright, and extremely diligent in managing a large staff and a school that grows in enrollement every year because our reputation is so good. You never support staff compain or express negativity. Westview like an extended family and I can't think of anything better for my kids than that.

Posted November 1, 2003

After reading the negative comment by a visiting college student, I was prompted to add my view of the school. I have never found Mrs. Williams to be rude. She is a kind and caring woman. I am thrilled with the job she is doing as principal. I have had 3 children in Westview and am a teacher myself (though not at westview), and I have been extremely happy with this school. The office staff is courteous and friendly, the teachers whom we have had have been professional, the nurses have been as concerned as they would be with their own children. We discovered this when we had a child break her arm and the nurse called our home a few times to check on her. We are thrilled to have our children at such a school as Westview Elementary.

Posted September 28, 2003

As a proud parent of two Westview Elementary students, I am very surprised at the comments the last person made about our school. Not only do we have a beautiful school, but we have wonderful, caring and intelligent teachers. As for our principal, Margo Williams, makes the school as great as it is. She loves her students and staff, and it shows. I moved to Tennessee from California, prepared for devestation due to my ignorance. What a blessing this move has been for us, because of our wonderful school!

Posted August 28, 2003

I think this is a nice school. Parents are able to be very involved. It has the right amount of structure.

Posted August 26, 2003

My daughter started here in the second grade. We have loved the new school, and her teachers have been the greatest. My daughter is now a fifth grader reading above average, and very sharp in her other studies. Margo Williams has always been very professional and friendly with our family. Mrs. Williams carries herself and her duties with pride. I think it is good for our kids to see Mrs. Williams as strength and honor to our school.

Posted April 22, 2003

I am a College student. I did a visit to this school for my ECED class. The Principal was rude to me. Ms. Margo Williams acted as if she could care less about my interest in teaching in the future or working at this school. While observing this school I witnessed two teachers yelling at students. I will never work at this school. My children are zoned for this school but my children will never ever attend this school! I was shocked!

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

123 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 49% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 84% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Tennessee used the Tennessee Comprehensive Assessment Program (TCAP) Achievement Test to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading/language arts, math, science and social studies. The TCAP is a standards-based test that measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Tennessee. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 56% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 57% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 55% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 87% in 2013.

131 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 7% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 19%N/A55%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

9629 East Brainerd Rd