Westview Elementary School

Public | K-5

Posted June 11, 2014

This school gets two stars only for the teachers. We have had wonderful experiences with the teachers that my children have had throughout the years. However, the rest of the staff is very unfriendly and rude. The students seems to feel terrified of the administration, particularly the principal. The principal is extremely bitter towards parents and students for some unknown reason. My kids love their teachers, but they still come home upset and drained because school feels like a prison to them with a mean principal as the warden.

Posted June 11, 2014

Either parents or staff from this school are submitting raving reviews to boost this school's scores up! For example, in February of 2012 a parent posted a review claiming that art is neglected at Westview, but just one month later a parent gives Westview 5 stars and goes on and on about how great Westview is and how art is so incorporated into the school. I think the fact that Westview has to write these fake reviews shows just how insecure they are about any criticism of their school.

Posted May 13, 2014

Excellent teachers, cheerful happy children. The office staff are less than friendly to parents and rude to the children. I like how the teachers go above and beyond. Helping the children achieve success. My child loves school! They get little time to talk at lunch or "she" yells at them. My child enjoys music, science and Library. Its a great school. I'm glad we are here. Good luck with the (office/attendance/lunch) women. She needs people skills and a heart...

Posted April 21, 2014

This is our first year at WestView and overall it has been fine. I do completely agree that the principal is not friendly. She doesn't even try to be pleasant. I have attended some of the PTA meetings and haven't heard from her at all. The PTA seems to be doing a good job though. They seem to really care about the school. The front office staff is unfriendly, they only smile at a few of the kids (I'm assuming it is the children they like best). I've overheard a few teachers being mean to the kids in the hallways, also. My child's teacher is wonderful and has been so patient and kind through the entire year. Overall, WestView is a good school but I think the principal and office staff need to either move on or try a little harder to remember that they are working with children. Children need support, kindness and a happy environment. Things can be under control without having to yell and punish. I'm hoping that things will improve over time.

Posted March 25, 2014

I believe my child has received a good education with a few exceptional teachers. i also feel that as a whole there are things to improve.This school will never admit that anyting is wrong and therefore will never get better than it is today. Creating individual thinkers is not a priority.The priority is fitting all children into the same mold. March on the blue line, only look straight ahead, hands by your side, no talking is the norm. I have often empathized with the teachers who try to create a better environment in their rooms. Socialization should be high on the list of the core cirriculum but I have never seen anyone at this school take the time to teach these children how to interact with each other. If you say they should learn that at home, my response is that the school has them during these teachable moments. I as a parent do not have groups of children at my house. Teaching yeilds better results than screaming. Heaven help you if your child is pegged as a trouble maker- my heart goes out to those children who are screamed at as soon as they enter the cafeteria. With all that said this school does produce test score results, I just wonder at what cost to the individuals.

Posted March 23, 2014

This school has many great qualities. The majority of the teachers are terrific. There are many exceptionally dedicated parents - as evidenced by the obvious push to increase the school's rating (several in about 2wks). But this website is one of ONLY places parents feel they can voice their concerns. Criticism of any kind is not welcomed, so where else can a parent go? If you really love this school -- allow parents to have a place to air complaints so it can get better! It is not a warm school. Teachers do what they can, but at lunch and in the halls, where others take over, it is harsh. There is no firm yet kind reminder to "be quiet", "stay on the blueline", or "keep looking forward".... To list a few commands heard multiple times a visit. Reminders are harsh and severe - the principal will yell as well. Safety may be a concern, but there are better and kinder methods to enforce rules. The only time a kid can be "free" is lunch and recess. Take 15 min for quiet lunch, 5+ Min for the "lining up" after lunch (quiet /face forward), and the 10 + minutes frequently lost of recess to walk for any infraction, and you have about 25 min -- if they get to go outside.....

Posted August 25, 2013

I went to Westview from Kindergarden-5th grade. It is a fantastic school! The teachers are so nice and parents can volunteer to help in class and stay with their child. There is no favoritism, bullying, or anything bad. The halls are decorated with paintings and bright blue. The school is so welcoming! The principal is probably one of the nicest people I know. The whole school knows each other, so the Kindergarden-5th grade all talk and look out or each other! The bus rides are even a nice and fun environment! I am now in 8th grade at the school right beside Westview called East Hamilton, currently in 8th grade. Westview was so fun, I remember all my wonderful teachers, and can remember everything! The school colors are blue and gold. There are so many fun events, like the main one called Harvest Hoedown. It is where the students dress like cowboys and cowgirls. Westview elementary is one of the best schools in TN!

Posted August 23, 2013

The main thing you should know about Westview is that it is the product of having a public school in an area surrounded mostly by subdivisions full of larger, less affordable homes. This may or may not cause children (and parents!) from lower-middle class families to feel isolated, snubbed, or just plain out of sync with everyone else. While the curriculum definitely impresses me, it is mostly because what my daughter studied in Kindergarten is what I was studying 20 years ago in a private school in 2nd and 3rd grade. I have noticed a lot of snobbery in this school, but I'd rather my child stay than go elsewhere. I feel like it's better the devil I know than the one I do not. We are a pretty thick-skinned family, and we can handle a little discrimination based upon our class for the sake of a better educational opportunity. For the most part, the office staff are informative (and they will generally remember who you are), and the teachers seem to do their jobs adequately. If you live in Hamilton County and you want your child to get one of the best educations possible (other than paying a small fortune to obtain it), Westview may just be your necessary evil. I think we will stay.

Posted August 16, 2013

extraordinary in education. The teachers show a great love for education. They make sure your child learns it and gets it right the first time. The walls are colorful and inviting. They do hands on work with scissors and glue. I love the old fashion learning and the up to date new combined. They going to P.E, music, computer and science lab. They attend library too. They also have art in the classroom. I am able to volunteer in the classroom or eat lunch with my child. My child loves her teacher and looks forward to each and everyday. The Principal is wonderful at her leadership position. We see her out and she knows us by name and asks how are child is doing. I like that feeling. We have a huge fundraiser in the fall called Harvest Hoedown, are children love it. They play games, buy things and eat. We all dress like cowgirls and cowboys. It is a great school to call home.

Posted August 14, 2013

Westview is by far the best elementary school in the Hamilton County District. The principal is respectful, courteous and clearly loves the kids. Many of the teachers here are some of those wonderful people who were born to be teachers and welcome (respectful) parent interaction. But, there are also some that are burned out and consider parents necessary evils (at best). Yes, there is very little art in the classroom (funding issue); but, there is a private art teacher that teaches there after school. Not a perfect solution, but the best possible one given the circumstances. That is typical of the way Westview treats every situation. They do not claim to be perfect, but they are working with the situation (funding, dictated curriculum etc ) they have - not with the situation they wish they had. I do recommend the spec. ed. program (the speech dept. is excellent!). Unfortunately, some of the teachers need to recognize that a student with communication difficulties has those same difficulties at home. Parents in that situation will need to ask plenty of detailed and pointed questions to those teachers if they are to know what is happening at school.

Posted August 4, 2013

Westview is the best Elementary School! We have been at the school for almost 5 years now, and our children LOVE Westview! Our principal, the teachers, and the staff are exceptional, and truly care about the children. I strongly disagree with some of the comments that Westview is run like a prison. The school has almost 800 students, you have to have some rules and guidelines or the school would be a complete chaos. The students have 30 minutes for lunch. Yes, the FIRST 15 minutes are silent, but only to ensure the children's safety. How many times have we heard about children choking on their food while talking and eating? This is a safety issue, and the schools number one priority is the welfare of our children! The second half of the lunch time can be used for talking to friends. Secondly, bullying is NOT tolerated by the principal. She will do everything in her power to handle and stop any bullying issues. Thirdly, the teachers WELCOME any kind of parent involvement, from making copies to reading groups. They are very grateful for any assistance. We have the best principal, the best teachers, and the best staff here at Westview! We are blessed to be part of the school!

Posted July 19, 2013

My daughter just finished her k year. She came home everyday happy and begged to go to school even on holidays. Her teachers where all kind and really treated our daughter with love and kindness every step of the way. I hope this is the beginning of many years of success at school.

Posted July 16, 2013

As a parent of two children who attended Westview K-5 I was extremely pleased with my children's education. Westview was the first step for my child's education and it exceeded my expectations. My kid's were well prepared for each step along the way. I always felt that the teacher had my child's best interest at heart and their learning was their first priority.This school has great leadership under it administration. I would recommend Westview to anyone who is wanting to attend a school with an enriched learning environment.

Posted July 15, 2013

My children have attended Westview for the last 8 years. While no school is perfect this is a great school. I am very discouraged with the previous reviews. Those reviews in no way represent the vast majority of parents that send their kids to Westview. We have a fantastic group of parents that work very closely to help the school in various ways. In my experience usually the problems arise from lack of communication between one or more parties or a willingness to communicate issues. I have seen many examples of families working side by side with the staff and teachers to help make learning situations better for individual students. I am very thankful for the wonderful experience my children have had and are having attending Westview Elementary.

Posted April 5, 2013

I would not recommend Westview to anyone. We moved to this area specifically for this school. I must say it has been quite a disappointment. It is ran like a prison. Children aren't encouraged to use their own imaginations. Parental involvement seems to be discouraged. The curriculum is subpar. I know children in other schools in the same grade as my child and the curriculum is far more advanced and with the teaching styles in these schools the children are far more engaged.

Posted December 6, 2012

Horrible school period! You wouldn't believe what goes on at this school! Police come in because the staff bully children! The principal finds out about this and does nothing! How can you bully children and still have a job? Parental involvement is slim, Daily 5 is missing in our classroom, classroom library is unavailable to kids, administration is unprofessional, and the way they treat the children is just awful! Don't send your kids here if you have other options! Trust me. I have been to schools across the county and a lot of the schools with lower test scores are even better. Why? They differentiate instruction and work hard! I'm not sure about the other teachers, but the last 2 that we had didnot.

Posted September 17, 2012

We moved to the area 2 years ago and kept hearing exceptional things about Westview and how great of a school it was and that it was as close to private school as you can get. We have been highly dissatisfied with our experience at this school. Our child who once enjoyed school, dreads going there. I feel like the administration lacks motivation, as well as, a compassion for children (especially ones with learning disabilities). Bullying has been a severe issue where it seems they just want to sweep under the rug and pretend like it's not happening at 'their school', however, it is worse here than many schools I come across. We have also experienced bullying directly from the staff to our child. We reported it to the schoolboard with no avail. We have had one good teacher (Mrs. Reynolds--amazing!) out of the bunch, however, I feel the rest lack enthusiasm and good parent/teacher communication. I feel that most do it because 'it's their job', rather than love and passion for their job and their students. I think they tend to do the bare minimum that it takes for them to keep their job. We are looking into other options for schooling to avoid sending our other children here.

Posted August 20, 2012

Westview Elementary is one of the best schools in Hamilton County and in the Chattanooga area, it's slim pickings. The teachers are caring and dedicated to teaching. Ms. Margo Williams truly cares about the school and its students. She and the teachers are always willing to meet with parents who want to discuss their kids' academic progress, or lack thereof, and work with them to enhance their childrens' learning experience. I would've given Westview 5 stars but the front office staff is somewhat rude. They should smile more often and not make parents wait forever to get things done. Heck, if they don't want to work the front desk of a public school where it gets hectic, they should get another job...

Posted May 20, 2012

I think it is fishy that every time someone give a so so review or is critical of leadership that there is another comment to dispute it and "counter balance" the rating. I have no personal opinion of the school but I just find it suspicious.

Posted April 6, 2012

Superb School, Best in all of Hamilton County! The Literacy program at Westview is extraordinary, they go above and beyond. Bringing in well known authors and tips on how to have your children excel. They also have daily opportunities to have hands on art time. I help once a week in the kindergarten program and help the children in art time. We made spring flowers using their hands, such a cute idea. The children love seeing their artwork outside the class room walls. During the Fall we painted t-shirts and the children got to wear them to school. I love how the children get to show off the artistic work for all to see. We also made ty dye shirts to wear on our field trips. Kids just love art time. Parents love seeing the finished work. The children get to have weekly computer lessons and even a little foreign language lessons. daily outside play foe fitness and P.E. They also have a excellent choir techer. The Library is awesome and the children learn so much from her. These are the kinds of things you only find in high price Private schools but, all this is going on in this wonderful public school. This is a wonderful school with many great things for children to love.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

123 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 49% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 84% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Tennessee used the Tennessee Comprehensive Assessment Program (TCAP) Achievement Test to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading/language arts, math, science and social studies. The TCAP is a standards-based test that measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Tennessee. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 56% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 57% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 55% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 87% in 2013.

131 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 7% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 19%N/A55%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

9629 East Brainerd Rd