Chattanooga, TN
Before care: Yes

Westview Elementary School 2

Posted June 11, 2014
This school gets two stars only for the teachers. We have had wonderful experiences with the teachers that my children have had throughout the years. However, the rest of the staff is very unfriendly and rude. The students seems to feel terrified of the administration, particularly the principal. The principal is extremely bitter towards parents and students for some unknown reason. My kids love their teachers, but they still come home upset and drained because school feels like a prison to them with a mean principal as the warden.

Westview Elementary School 1

Posted June 11, 2014
Either parents or staff from this school are submitting raving reviews to boost this school's scores up! For example, in February of 2012 a parent posted a review claiming that art is neglected at Westview, but just one month later a parent gives Westview 5 stars and goes on and on about how great Westview is and how art is so incorporated into the school. I think the fact that Westview has to write these fake reviews shows just how insecure they are about any criticism of their school.

Posted May 13, 2014
Excellent teachers, cheerful happy children. The office staff are less than friendly to parents and rude to the children. I like how the teachers go above and beyond. Helping the children achieve success. My child loves school! They get little time to talk at lunch or "she" yells at them. My child enjoys music, science and Library. Its a great school. I'm glad we are here. Good luck with the (office/attendance/lunch) women. She needs people skills and a heart...

Posted April 21, 2014
This is our first year at WestView and overall it has been fine. I do completely agree that the principal is not friendly. She doesn't even try to be pleasant. I have attended some of the PTA meetings and haven't heard from her at all. The PTA seems to be doing a good job though. They seem to really care about the school. The front office staff is unfriendly, they only smile at a few of the kids (I'm assuming it is the children they like best). I've overheard a few teachers being mean to the kids in the hallways, also. My child's teacher is wonderful and has been so patient and kind through the entire year. Overall, WestView is a good school but I think the principal and office staff need to either move on or try a little harder to remember that they are working with children. Children need support, kindness and a happy environment. Things can be under control without having to yell and punish. I'm hoping that things will improve over time.

Posted March 25, 2014
I believe my child has received a good education with a few exceptional teachers. i also feel that as a whole there are things to improve.This school will never admit that anyting is wrong and therefore will never get better than it is today. Creating individual thinkers is not a priority.The priority is fitting all children into the same mold. March on the blue line, only look straight ahead, hands by your side, no talking is the norm. I have often empathized with the teachers who try to create a better environment in their rooms. Socialization should be high on the list of the core cirriculum but I have never seen anyone at this school take the time to teach these children how to interact with each other. If you say they should learn that at home, my response is that the school has them during these teachable moments. I as a parent do not have groups of children at my house. Teaching yeilds better results than screaming. Heaven help you if your child is pegged as a trouble maker- my heart goes out to those children who are screamed at as soon as they enter the cafeteria. With all that said this school does produce test score results, I just wonder at what cost to the individuals.

Posted March 23, 2014
This school has many great qualities. The majority of the teachers are terrific. There are many exceptionally dedicated parents - as evidenced by the obvious push to increase the school's rating (several in about 2wks). But this website is one of ONLY places parents feel they can voice their concerns. Criticism of any kind is not welcomed, so where else can a parent go? If you really love this school -- allow parents to have a place to air complaints so it can get better! It is not a warm school. Teachers do what they can, but at lunch and in the halls, where others take over, it is harsh. There is no firm yet kind reminder to "be quiet", "stay on the blueline", or "keep looking forward".... To list a few commands heard multiple times a visit. Reminders are harsh and severe - the principal will yell as well. Safety may be a concern, but there are better and kinder methods to enforce rules. The only time a kid can be "free" is lunch and recess. Take 15 min for quiet lunch, 5+ Min for the "lining up" after lunch (quiet /face forward), and the 10 + minutes frequently lost of recess to walk for any infraction, and you have about 25 min -- if they get to go outside.....

Posted August 25, 2013
I went to Westview from Kindergarden-5th grade. It is a fantastic school! The teachers are so nice and parents can volunteer to help in class and stay with their child. There is no favoritism, bullying, or anything bad. The halls are decorated with paintings and bright blue. The school is so welcoming! The principal is probably one of the nicest people I know. The whole school knows each other, so the Kindergarden-5th grade all talk and look out or each other! The bus rides are even a nice and fun environment! I am now in 8th grade at the school right beside Westview called East Hamilton, currently in 8th grade. Westview was so fun, I remember all my wonderful teachers, and can remember everything! The school colors are blue and gold. There are so many fun events, like the main one called Harvest Hoedown. It is where the students dress like cowboys and cowgirls. Westview elementary is one of the best schools in TN!

Westview Elementary School 4

Posted August 23, 2013
The main thing you should know about Westview is that it is the product of having a public school in an area surrounded mostly by subdivisions full of larger, less affordable homes. This may or may not cause children (and parents!) from lower-middle class families to feel isolated, snubbed, or just plain out of sync with everyone else. While the curriculum definitely impresses me, it is mostly because what my daughter studied in Kindergarten is what I was studying 20 years ago in a private school in 2nd and 3rd grade. I have noticed a lot of snobbery in this school, but I'd rather my child stay than go elsewhere. I feel like it's better the devil I know than the one I do not. We are a pretty thick-skinned family, and we can handle a little discrimination based upon our class for the sake of a better educational opportunity. For the most part, the office staff are informative (and they will generally remember who you are), and the teachers seem to do their jobs adequately. If you live in Hamilton County and you want your child to get one of the best educations possible (other than paying a small fortune to obtain it), Westview may just be your necessary evil. I think we will stay.

Posted August 16, 2013
extraordinary in education. The teachers show a great love for education. They make sure your child learns it and gets it right the first time. The walls are colorful and inviting. They do hands on work with scissors and glue. I love the old fashion learning and the up to date new combined. They going to P.E, music, computer and science lab. They attend library too. They also have art in the classroom. I am able to volunteer in the classroom or eat lunch with my child. My child loves her teacher and looks forward to each and everyday. The Principal is wonderful at her leadership position. We see her out and she knows us by name and asks how are child is doing. I like that feeling. We have a huge fundraiser in the fall called Harvest Hoedown, are children love it. They play games, buy things and eat. We all dress like cowgirls and cowboys. It is a great school to call home.

Posted August 14, 2013
Westview is by far the best elementary school in the Hamilton County District. The principal is respectful, courteous and clearly loves the kids. Many of the teachers here are some of those wonderful people who were born to be teachers and welcome (respectful) parent interaction. But, there are also some that are burned out and consider parents necessary evils (at best). Yes, there is very little art in the classroom (funding issue); but, there is a private art teacher that teaches there after school. Not a perfect solution, but the best possible one given the circumstances. That is typical of the way Westview treats every situation. They do not claim to be perfect, but they are working with the situation (funding, dictated curriculum etc ) they have - not with the situation they wish they had. I do recommend the spec. ed. program (the speech dept. is excellent!). Unfortunately, some of the teachers need to recognize that a student with communication difficulties has those same difficulties at home. Parents in that situation will need to ask plenty of detailed and pointed questions to those teachers if they are to know what is happening at school.

Westview Elementary School
9629 East Brainerd Rd, Chattanooga, TN  37421
Last modified Westview Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Westview Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 56 reviews. Top