Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

We moved to the area just for Big Ridge! What a great choice! The teachers and staff are absolutely amazing!! PTA involvement is outstanding! I couldn't believe the amount of volunteers! We have volunteers for all teachers so they can focus more on the children. The PTA itself pays the salary for our Art teacher, which HCDE no longer does. I have been privileged to work with so many great moms and dads!! The principal this year, Angela Askins, has been amazing, although we are losing her and she will be missed!! I cannot say enough about the wonderful, caring teachers! They are all truly dedicated to the children and have great passion for their school!!

Big Ridge is a wonderful public elementary school with outstanding parental involvement! Opportunities abound in this school with a multitude of teachers who truly care.

I can't understand how anyone could have anything negative to say about BRE. Our kids are nearly complete with their time at this amazing school and are far ahead of their peers that attend various private schools in the area. Only once have we had an issue with our daughter's math comprehension a few years ago, and her teacher worked with us one-on-one to develop a plan to catch her up and eventually surpass her classmates in performance. All of our teachers over the years have been excellent communicators, and most utilize Class Dojo, an app that sends daily updates on your child's participation and behavior. People have been known to fake addresses or rent a second home to allow their kids admittance, and in many cases it's well worth that sacrifice. They offer extracurricular activities that no other area public schools offer (art, robotics, violin, science lab, etc), and they have a multitude of field trips, especially for the earlier grades. If you have a young child in Chattanooga you owe it to them to find a home in either the Big Ridge Elementary or Normal Park Elementary school zone. There are simply no other options that invest in and care more for your child and their education.

k was great for my son. The teacher communicated with me and was ways available through email, phone, and notes. Sadly, that teacher has left... Unfortunately, this year, we have a teacher that does not communicate. She has written me passive aggressive notes home about reading ahead I have shown up to every parent teacher meeting and open house. When I asked what material he could study to improve his reading and math scores she refused to help. I purchase from every fundraiser and participate in the book sales, and yet I'm treated like garbage. The teacher has lied to the state and said she tried to communicate with me reguarding my son, and that she can't get ahold of anyone... She has 4 different numbers to reach me or family at and my email! Amazingly, class mothers have been able to reach me via email about class parties, and party invitations make it to my house. The front office staff are rude!! The nurse on duty is rude! I am so disappointed! I moved to this area specifically for this school and I'm having the worst experience. I really regret this decision.

This has been the biggest mistake I have made with my child. We have been with Big Ridge for 3 yrs now and it seems to be getting worse each yr. The staff on the upper level are rude to the children, will not communicate with the parents, nor will you know what your child is learning. If you do not pay all the fees the school request up front, you child will "start missing book " as a way to get the fees from you. Please keep in mind the fees are not required, they are optional. My child has struggled for some time in reading and l have request for extra help has fallen on deaf ears. I have been told that some kids just fall in the "gray area" and there is nothing that can be done. If you are looking at the test scores, please don't be fooled. As the school does not follow State standards. The teacher read the material and answers to the students instead of letting the kids show what has been taught. If you are a family that has time for one parent to volunteer at the school your child will be fine. As for the single parent, your child will be discriminated against and will not be treated as an equal. Hoping this helps someone else not make the mistake I did.

BRE is a great school. Unfortunately there are some teachers that are full of themselves, that it interferes with the teaching/learning process. I know that flaws are everywhere, but when you reach out to them and have conferences, nothing changes. The last parent teacher conference I attended, one of the teachers came in half way through the conference, was in defensive mode, her facial expression made it apparent that she had something more important to do. It was pretty ridiculous compared to the other teachers that were personable and inviting, had a sense of humor and could actually carry on a conversation. I had even reached out to her for advice, and when I got nothing, I scheduled the conference. From her demeanor the entire time, it made her extremely unhappy to have had to be apart of it. I can't wait until my child moves on to the next grade, just to get away from the 'teacher' that acts like she would rather be somewhere else!

The education at Big Ridge is excellent. My child is very sensitive, so I have asked for help from the teachers, who have always gone beyond what was necessary to make it a positive experience for him. I addressed one issue with the Principal. During a meeting in her office, she was friendly and understanding. She took notes, asked thoughtful questions and addressed the problem. Numerous times she has spoken passionately about the programs for funding literacy & technology, robotics & strings programs, & school safety. She speaks passionately about the school programs if you attend the general PTA meetings and open houses. There are only 2 employees in the front office who are responsible for payroll, kids transportation, maintenance & personnel issues and more. When you walk in the office, you aren t greeted with big friendly smiles, but they have a huge workload. They are just trying to take care of you and your child s issue and get all their work done. Overall, I think my child is getting a great education. I have friends with kids in the private schools, and I know that Big Ridge does a better job than some of them, and I suspect as good a job as any of them.

I have been at Big Ridge for four years and very happy with how the teachers and staff go above and beyond! My child is very emotional when it comes to certain things and his teachers have been very sensitive to his needs. Everytime I needed to call a meeting with the teacher or principal they wasted no time in meeting with me. His first and third grade teacher actually took the time to call me when he was having some difficulty. That is above and beyond in my book. Since our new principal has come to Big Ridge, she has made so many positive changes. The main change is the safety of our children! I have a child going into kindergarten this year and I can say that I have NO worries! The school welcomes and LOVES all of the volunteers and parent involvement! There are always negatives and positives to every school and teachers we like and don't like. We the parents are the only people that will stick up for our children so if you have a problem and feel like you aren't getting any help then you fight until you do!!!!! Don't complain FIGHT!!!!!

Last year we were very disappointed with Big Ridge school. Three out of the four teachers our child had last year were out of touch, unattainable, and just plain rude. We could never get a face to face conference with the teachers after multiple attempts. Mrs. Parker is oblivious and will just pacify everyone until it "goes away". Along with the rude front office staff, we would say Big Ridge has been a negative experience overall.

Big Ridge Elementary has been an excellent choice for my children. The teachers are caring and the atmosphere is pleasant. Is every teacher the best in Hamilton County? No. Are all of the students perfectly behaved? No. It is a school! It is full of 5-12 year olds! The current principal, Mrs. Parker, has been very proactive in her involvement at this school and has met any concerns that I have personally had head on. The parent participation is excellent and enhanced by a very active PTA group. I hope that anyone considering this school for their child's elementary education chooses to take the plunge and give it a try. Remember that every school will have it's pros and cons and you will surely not be disappointed!

Last modified Big Ridge Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.