Chattanooga, TN
Before care: Yes

Normal Park Museum Magnet School 3

Posted October 25, 2014
We were pleased with the lower school and felt strongly that it is one of the better schools in Chattanooga. However, the upper school has been quite different. It feels that the the teachers rely on the parents to teach the fundamentals. They have young teachers who may not have the experience needed for this more advanced content. Not only that but since they do not have official textbooks it is difficult to refer back to a topic. Thus far we are disappointed and will consider a change.

Posted October 24, 2014
I couldn't rate this school any less than 5 stars! I may have just not come across a better school, but in my opinion this is the best school in Tennessee. Especially the lower school! The parent involvement is phenomenal! The teachers are so professional, caring, and genuinely the best teachers. I couldn't pick a better school if I tried!

Normal Park Museum Magnet School 3

Posted June 19, 2014
The school is overcrowded. They have a lot of perks like field trips every week and it is a magnet school. I don't know that the teachers are any better than the other public schools. The buildings are both old and in much need of repair. They do a lot of fundraising. They have auctions and a festival every year. We left the school and went to a school with smaller classrooms and found these teachers to be just as good or better.

Normal Park Museum Magnet School 1

Posted April 28, 2014
Unfortunately our child had a terrible experience at NP. A child was bullying our child and despite reporting this, nothing was done. We chose to withdraw our child from NP and HCDE.

Posted October 24, 2013
This school presents great opportunities in many fields for the lucky students who attend. It has myriad educational, cultural and athletic offerings.

Posted May 05, 2013
My children have been in both Normal Park schools for five years now. They are THRIVING. My children are both straight A students, with one being in the advanced studies group (and being VERY challenged). From my experience and as an active parent at the school, I have noticed that the parents who are unhappy are the ones who have children that are disruptive in class. I have seen a few of them come to Normal Park from other schools hoping that they will have better luck here. Not every parent and personality is going to get along with every teacher/principal at any school. It's not possible. Any negative comments you read about Normal Park are coming from someone who has behavior problems they are dealing with from their child. Just like any other school, there is always the less desired teacher. It's unavoidable. At Normal Park, my children have never woken up asking to miss school; they jump out of bed excited to go to school. The work they do that is magnet related really blows us away. They are super proud to show us their work on the school's exhibit nights. Normal Park is a great community! Don't hesitate to send your kids to this wonderful school.

Posted August 29, 2011
Our daughter is in kindergarten at NPMM. We have been SO impressed with the school and faculty so far. They are truly amazing and really care about the kids. The principal knows me and even attended my daughter's IEP meeting. Now THAT is a dedicated principal!! We really love it that parents are required to do volunteer work and we actually enjoy it. We are so blessed for our daughter to be attending sucha wonderful school!

Posted January 25, 2011
I LOVE NORMAL PARK.......I LUV THE STAFF,THEY R SO GREAT WITH OUR KIDS.......I LOVE THAT THEY HAVE ORDER IN THAT SCHOOL,AND I DONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT MY CHILD SAFETY.....EDUCATION WISE,THEY R GREAT,THEY HAVE A WAY OF TEACHING KIDS,AND THEY WANT THE BEST 4 EACH CHILD IN THAT SCHOOL......THEY PUSH PARENTS TO HAVE COMMUNICATION WITH THEIR KIDS,AND FACULTY......ITS A FAMILY ENVIROMENT......I LUV IT,AND MY SON DOES TOO....

Posted September 02, 2010
NPMM isn't 100% DAP for ECE, but it is the closest thing you'll find. Kids are allowed to be active learners. Weekly visits to museums, the aquarium, the zoo. Kids participate fully. Curriculum addresses the whole child, not a narrow focus - there is a spanish teacher, an art teacher, a music teacher, a science teacher, a PE teacher at the lower school. With so many schools bombarded with budget cuts, it is rare to find There is also continuity - e.g., children start doing "writers workshop" in kindergarten and continue across the grades. There is a thematic strand - students work together on projects based on a "unit" theme. Every nine weeks an "exhibit night" invites parents, relatives, neighbors in to see the projects the children have made. Teachers communicate well, parents are involved, admin is wonderful. Children are clearly always the first priority. THANKS NMPMM.

Posted August 18, 2010
I have been in other schools and have worked with other teachers and administrators. There is not another school that I know of that has harder working faulty and admin than Normal Park. We put in 80 hour weeks because we care about the students and have pride in ourselves as educators. We are constantly looking to improve and never do the exact same thing twice. We adapt; we innovate; and our students reap the benefits through engaging and innovative lessons. This is the hardest job that I've ever had, but the reward is worth all of the sleepless nights. I am blessed to have two children that attend the Lower School, and they come home daily with excited faces, ready to share the wonderful things that they learned. The curriculum is set by the State; there is no other school that does more with what they are given.

Normal Park Museum Magnet School
1219 West Mississippi Av, Chattanooga, TN  37405
Last modified Normal Park Museum Magnet School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Normal Park Museum Magnet School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 46 reviews. Top