Chattanooga School for Arts and Sciences Csas Uppe

Public | K-12 | 674 students

Posted October 29, 2011

I have been at this school for over a decade and I speak for a majority of the high school when i say that we hate the change in administration over that last 3 years. The teachers and education are still amazing but the level of "student satisfactions" has gone down drastically. Its also not just student who don't like the administration, but parents and teachers also.

Posted February 11, 2011

I'm a freshman at CSAS and it is my first year, but I will graduate from CSAS. It is a superb school and students do have a say in what goes on. We have student government which does change the way the school is run. All of the teachers are fantastic. I have no idea what parents are saying about their students struggling. We are given every opportunity to succeed. People who want their students to be very involved with sports need to understand that although we have a small athletic department we still have sports. CSAS is just a heavily academic based school. We have seminar in all classes and one every wednesday. Seminar pushes students to think about things from multiple views and you learn about many things from seminar. The classes are roughly 150 kids and we are bonded from the start. I truly believe if you want your child to excel and get every opportunity to go to the best college they can go to, send them to CSAS. CSAS requires 18 parent volunteer hours a year and students must also volunteer. For freshmen it is 10 and goes up every year. It is an amazing school and I'm very proud to say I attend CSAS,

Posted October 6, 2010

My son started at CSAS in the 11th grade from Tyner. He was shocked at how much more demanding it was. He never was happy there, and barely graduated. My middle son was able to start there in 9th grade because the other son was accepted, so he experienced this as his high school. My older son was the top of the class at Tyner, but struggled to pass the classes at CSAS. Both were gifted, but both only achieved B's and C's, if not F's, at CSAS. At Tyner Middle, both were A+ students. So there is definitely a discrepancy in the level of education offered at our different magnet schools, And I think there is a definite lack of support for students who should be able to succeed with a little extra help, or guidance, at CSAS. Both my kids were smart, but had few friends, and struggled.

Posted August 18, 2010

It's on par with expensive private schools, and I love the parent and community involvement.

Posted July 21, 2010

My child has been attending CSAS since first grade and will be going into 6th this year. This school is awsome! Children start a foreign language class in kindergarden and continue until they graduate. All Children are treated equally! I have read some negative reviews on here and notice they are a few years old. The school is old but many renovations have been done. The school is not crumbling down! Many school buildings in Chattanooga are in need for new buildings and/or renovations. The parents that have said the children run around wild and there are too many field trips, are not understanding the Paideia Philosophy. It is more "hands-on" learning than sitting still and lectured from a book. The very first year my child attended (1st grade), I was pleasantly suprised at how the middle and high scoolers looked after the little ones. I love it!

Posted April 16, 2010

This school teaches students to think vs just memorizing facts.

Posted December 19, 2008

I have two boys in CSAS Elementary and two nephews who are graduates. My nephews are as different as two brothers could be. The oldest is finishing his doctorate in astro-nuclear physics. His younger brother is in college on a soccer scholarship. It is the younger brother who sold me on the school. He is a gifted athlete who struggles accademically and has ADHS. In most schools he would have been segregated to the slow class at a young age and would most likely have stayed there for the duration of his education. At CSAS children are not segregated based on past performance. The children are divided into classes to provide the most diversity and they are all exposed equally to the topics being taught. The result of this is that my athletic nephew went to the National Model UN and is now majoring in International Finance. No more dumb class!

Posted August 18, 2008

This is my sons first year at CSAS. He loves it and is finally enthusiastic about learning. I personally am thilled with the academic levels of this school. This is going to be a profound experience for us this year. T. Clay

Posted May 15, 2008

CSAS is a great environment for kids to learn in. Students at CSAS who work hard come out prepared for college. The size of the student body allows a great atmosphere for kids to feel like they are a part of something special. The building is beautiful and with recent renovations it has become even better. The teachers are most helpful and most have tutoring before or after school to help kids that want to be helped. Parents are required to volunteer 18 hours per year to the school which leads to great parent envolvement at the school. The schools student body is diverse in every way and this leads to a student being exposed to many different view points of the world in which they live. Athletics are available, but the importance is on the academics first and foremost. Great school!

Posted April 25, 2008

My child went here for 2 years, enough to know that I didn't like it and pulled him out. It was awful trying to get him in, very hard. Once he was accepted I was shocked at the amount of extra money you have to pay for all the field trips. They go at least2 a week and you have to pay for all of it out of pocket. There was also no control over the kids, in the halls, classrooms, lunchrooms. Seems to let the children take control. There are NO support for the sports programs. The school is BADLY in need of repair. Was not impressed at all!!!!

Posted March 30, 2008

i am a freshman at csas, and i came from another school. I thought that i would never make any friends and u would be scared. But my first day the best! I felt so at home and had friends as soon as I walked in. I think that csas is the best school in Chattanooga! I wouldn't change anything about it at all
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 2, 2008

I am a senior at CSAS, and I love it. I cannot imagine what my life would be like if I had spent 13 years at any other school in Hamilton County. A very important aspect of our school, the Paideia Philosophy, has not been given its due attention in previous reviews. Mortimer Adler believed all students should be treated equally and given equal opportunities, and I believe CSAS does a wonderful job of embracing this concept. All of our core classes are honors, giving every student the chance to excel. Seminar is integrated into every course, enabling us to develop critical thinking skills as well as the chance to share our diverse opinions. The Socratic Method of teaching is also utilized. We have a wide array of extracurricular activities and, while it is not our main focus, we have some great sports teams (our boys basketball team went to state last year and our boys soccer team earned a chance at the state tournament the previous year) as well. Our building may have its problems, but our renovations are very close to being finished. The atmosphere of CSAS is also very inviting and gives a true sense of family. I would highly recommend this school to any parent who is truly interested in giving their child a wonderful liberal arts education.
—Submitted by a student

Posted December 8, 2007

this is the worst school I've ever been to in my life. Children were running around the classroom, and the faculty were o rude.

Posted June 5, 2007

There are a few of things about this school that I did like when my child went there, however there were many more I didnt like. For example, the building is in bad shape (about to fall down). The sports program is not taken seariously at all. The parts of the school I did like was the Parent involvement and the Arts program. They have a few good teachers and a few bad teachers, but the main problem is the way its run.

Posted May 22, 2007

From my experience at CSAS I do not recommend sending your child their. For one there is no way I would feel safe about my son/daughter going there because the building is about to fall down! The teacher quality is ok for the most part however, there are a few bad apples. As for extracurricular activities I was very disappointed in the athletic department (or lack there of). Athletics are a very important part of a child growth, and can be more helpful in life than a lot of the stuff you read from a book. Speaking of books...don't kid yourself, the quality of the library and the computers is very low. This is 2007, not 1957! The only part about this school that is worth while is Seminar. However, most schools do that, so why send them to CSAS?
—Submitted by a former student

Posted May 3, 2007

The best thing about CSAS (upper school) is that the Paideia philosophy, on which the educational approach is based, allows room for failure. While other schools are enforcing strict dress codes, CSAS is focusing on teaching the students skills to make their own choices; important choices necessary to meet their own personal goals. That means sometimes mistakes are made, and the student is allowed to learn from them and move on. Any student eager to learn will do well at CSAS. The others will need more parent involvement and guidance but are offered the same chance to succeed in highschool and beyond.

Posted September 12, 2006

Words escape me to describe how wonderful my time at CSAS was. The caring teachers guide students in ways that will assure them success in the future. Every student has high standards to meet, and the teachers are more than supportive. The second floor hallway is lined with pennants from all of the different universities that CSAS graduates have attended, including Emory, Georgetown, Vanderbilt, Mt. Holyoke, and NYU. Ivy League schools come and recruit at CSAS, because they know that CSAS students are prepared to do well at even the toughest universities. In short, I would call CSAS a public private school - a private school education funded by taxpayers. If you get the opportunity to send your child to this school, please do. You'll be glad you did.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted March 18, 2005

My child loves his school and so do we. My son started in k and is now in 2nd. We have had only good experiences at CSAS. It was hard to get in. But well worth the work. We met many of our future friends during the process. My child has thrived in this astmophere. My husband and I really wanted to go to a private christian school, but with 2 other children we couldn't afford it. But CSAS teacher have not squashed my child egarness to talk or bring up his feelings about God. My second child starts this coming up year and I am so excited. We are very proud of our school and very happy with my sons well rounded education.

Posted January 8, 2004

Finally, a dream public school. Never have I encountered teachers so universally interested in my child's learning career. This is our first year, and the shift from a religious private school has not been the easiest. We found our child's preparation, particularly in math and science, was lacking. Still, the teachers understand, and will work with any student wanting to learn. The work prepares very well for college, and the 4 class block schedule per semester seems to be very good for the students. (I admit a little trepidation about going a full year without a math class, we shall soon see.) Highly recommended, very difficult to gain admission. Don't give up, many parents find out about waiting lists and simply don't show up for the interview process, and get automatic disqualification. For a 10th grade slot, our number was over 20, and still got one of four that were available.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 49% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 84% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Tennessee used the Tennessee Comprehensive Assessment Program (TCAP) Achievement Test to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading/language arts, math, science and social studies. The TCAP is a standards-based test that measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Tennessee. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 56% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 57% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 55% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 87% in 2013.

Writing

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 62% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 87% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 47% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 41% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 47% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 82% in 2013.

Writing

All Students92%
African American85%
Economically disadvantaged77%

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 65% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 68% in 2013.

98 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 42% in 2013.

116 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 62% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III

The state average for English III was 40% in 2013.

115 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Special education / special needs

• Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:55 am
School end time
  • 3:55 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school

• Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Access to sports fields

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer in the classroom