Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Parent (1 response)

Norman Smith Elementary School 1

Posted July 19, 2016
Let me start off by saying good luck with going to any events that the school has because you will be told that they aren't allowing parents to tag along and that the 2 spots have been filled (by another teacher with a student in that room) On events when they do parties your not allowed to visit your children to give their class the snacks they have office people bring them to the classes.. You can't pop in to say hey to your child's class, most good parents do that whether they're going from volunteering from one of their other childrens classes to wave an just say hey and ask the teacher how they're doing! Not this school they keep the parents out! It's over populated class sizes and the teacher is on her phone texting while the kids are making fun of other students.. I've reported this school several times.. Of course they can get away with whatever when they keep the parents away! I thought it was crazy that they wouldn't do that for parents to have access to the rooms, it is our children we have every right to come by! I am recommended by many schools with field trips and baking events, to be treated how they do and the lady in the office give you ugly looks! Its so sad! I pray for this school that they put someone in it that can get it in order it needs to be! With how teachers are these days I don't trust them to not be two faced, I heard a lot of stories after having mine at this school and needless to say I won't let my kids turn out like the hood ones they have there! Oh and want to know why scores are so high because they don't even do homework or anything of that nature, the teachers don't upload the grades right and mess the report card up as well. The form of contact is email, no human contact unless you set it up with email and hopefully you have a teacher that will reply and get one, the office won't give the teacher messages or the teacher never responded and they won't let you go visit the teacher during school hours and after they are "busy".. The list goes on! Please don't let yourself go through everything we had to learn! I suggest more parents know their rights and get involved in this school, one person can't change it and I took my kids out ASAP!! Never never! Trust me just stand outside and listen to those kids and how its handled! Just visit the school when they are letting out and hear them kids talk! I don't even speak like them

Posted March 31, 2014
I cannot speak highly enough of the staff at Norman Smith Elementary School! My son has been attending NSES since we moved to Clarksville, TN and he loves it there. The entire staff is phenomenal! I HIGHLY recommend this school!

Posted January 31, 2014
I have to say I really like this school. Do not let the "area" fool you by any means. The teacher's and staff are great. I can tell they care a lot about their students. My daughter love's it esp. her 5th grade teacher Mrs. Raker.

Posted August 22, 2013
Now that we are at a new school in Montgomery county, we can really appreciate how outstanding Norman Smith is. The teachers and staff are so invested in the students and genuinely take the time to somehow accommodate for each individual child. There is so much love in that school and we miss it terribly! The principal, guidance counselor, librarian...her kindergarten and first grade teachers were all exceptional human beings and we are so grateful for their dedication and passion for teaching. If you live in this district count yourself lucky. You have some of the sweetest, most amazing people caring and educating your children. I almost want to move back to be in the district just to get my child back to such a great school.

Posted August 20, 2013
We love this school! Our daughters only attended this school for one year, but compared with a year at private school, another in the same county, and another school in a different state, this school was by far the BEST! Children at Norman Smith are from all different backgrounds, but teachers try their very best to bring enthusiasm and identify early needs of individuals. From science parades to school spirit to "Bear bucks," the philosophies of this school are well ahead of others. I've noticed they've brought up their test scores significantly over the last few years, which is proof for me that they are accelerating in their practices in a community where not everyone is privileged. I've volunteered at many schools, but here, I'd seen teachers follow they're children to bus lines and lunch and provide parents with their personal cell and email contacts. The principal makes rounds daily to ensure the student body observes leadership. Children know all of their classmates, administrators, and teachers by name regardless of grade. This school is a true gem.

Posted April 21, 2010
I'm new to this area and the staff was so helpful and took realy good care of my need's and my son thank you

Norman Smith Elementary School 3

Posted July 31, 2009
Nice Teachers. Very old inside and dated- not that it matters. Very poorly situated in one of the worst parts of the city. My child's teacher was out for about 40% of the school year and he had multiple subs. The homework was rarely checked/scored and he didn't get any homework assignments from the sub-teachers.

Posted August 28, 2008
smith is a great school, the staff at the school are so sweet, I enjoy going to the school and helping out. My 1st grader loves the school. I can't say how much I love the school.

Norman Smith Elementary School 4

Posted September 30, 2006
Smith is a great school for the average to above average child. Most of the teachers are fantastic, and go to great lengths to create a stimulating learning environment for their students. Smith should not be the school of choice for students with disabilities. They do not have enough knowledge or experience to adaquately provide the support needed. Neither playground is ADA compliant, and both are functionally inaccessible to any child with physical limitations.

Posted January 20, 2006
Smith School is excellent. I chose to send both of my children there. My older child received an excellent education at Smith, and my younger child is happy and doing well there as well. I would encourage anyone to enroll in Smith's open enrollment program.

740 Greenwood Avenue, Clarksville, TN  37040
Last modified Norman Smith Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.