Northwest High School

Public | 9-12 | 1151 students

Posted November 13, 2014

I currently go to this school..students are loud and disrespectful. Many kids cheat but lots of teachers don't care and don't have control over the classrooms. I feel uneducated alot of the times and can't focus on test because I have loud annoying people screaming next to me. it's a ok school. Lots of students talk about sex and drugs. if you find the right crowed then your going to be fine.Some teachers are awesome others i feel like cross the student and teacher barrier line. This school is going downhill fast used to be 1 one in the county not anymore!. The only good thing is cameras are everywhere and the lunch is good that's about it. Also if you come from another state you need focus electives and if your in your Junior or Senior year you will NOT graduate or you have to stay back. regulars electives don't count as focus electives. I have to take summer school and after school classes just to graduate. I have been to 3 different highs schools this is the worst!

Posted February 17, 2011

Pretty good school. We had a child graduate in 2010. The school does deserve more attention from the school board.

Posted March 11, 2009

I graduated from Northwest High School and now my daughter is a Sophomore at Northwest High School. I knew Mr. Stephens as a teacher when I was in school and now I get to see him in action as a principle. He cares about the students and does an excellent job at keeping parents informed as to what is going on with Northwest. Several former classmates are now teachers at Northwest and I am proud to have my daughter in their class. Northwest provides an AVID program that prepares students for college. Northwest offers many after school activities. Northwest was recently featured on Channel 4 WSMV's 'Cool Schools'. The word is out, Northwest is a cool school to go to!

Posted November 5, 2008

The school cares too much about diciplining the students than their actual education. Dicipling is definitely important but I believe that teachers should learn to choose their battles, it's very difficult for a child to learn from a teacher that they hate and are afraid of.

Posted November 9, 2007

I love Northwest High School, we are a family not just a school. Yea, Northwest does'nt have as much money as the other schools, but Northwest is still the best!!! Amber Huff

Posted September 13, 2007

I am a current student at Northwest, and I feel unsafe, generally uneducated, and basically not cared for. The school is not overcrowded, but rather, the students refuse to exhibit any form of respect towards others, including teachers.

Posted April 30, 2007

Northwest was a terrible school. It was very poorly run and the administration was terrible. There are way too many students there which leads to a lot of unnecessary conflict.

Posted September 2, 2006

Focus on Extracurricular athletic activities is lacking at best. The current Athletic director does not seem to grasp the importance of quality athletic programs and the impact it has overall on the school and individual student. Coaching staff's tend to be focused more on their own agenda instead of helping create a quality program that emphasizes teamwork, discipline, leadership and school pride. Sports has a significant impact on participants. They learn leadership, teamwork, overcoming adversary and much more. All of these relate to real life experiences. Northwest High School athletics lack discipline, quality leadership and consistency in fair treatment of individual players. The athletic director appears to be more interested in his own agenda and not what is best for the school and the students who attend. A Quality athletic program brings School Spirit, Pride along with opportunity for individual athletes Scholarships.

Posted April 28, 2005

I'm not a parent, but I am a former student. I loved attending Northwest. I don't think that I would have been any happier anywhere else. The other schools may have the money, but thats really all they have. Northwest has a great teaching staff who really cares about the students. As a former athlete I would deff. say that they would rather have you excelling in school than on the field. Most sports teams require a min. GPA be held, and below a certain grade you have to attend tutoring. If we were in Clarksville and had a teen I would deff. consider puting my child at NWHS!

Posted December 13, 2004

I feel that NWHS is one of the best schools in Tn. The faculty is constantly trying new ways to engage the students in learning. The teachers are concerned about not only their class, but all the students in the school. I have always felt safe when being in the school. when my child graduated from NW, she was amazed when she attended college how much more she had be taught than many of the students. If I had another child, I would want them to attend NWHS.

Posted November 19, 2004

I have graduated from nwhs and i went there for all four years and being there i went through a couple of principals.

Posted November 16, 2004

As a 10th grader, this is my second year here at Northwest High School. I find the school to be okay. There are some good and bad things about the school. A few good things would be a few of the teachrs, the activities, and some of the courses. A few of the bad things would be a few of the teachers, some of the projects, and the overcrowding. Overall the school is an interesting place.

Posted May 2, 2004

Environment of attitude. Inappropriate contact in the halls. Lack of attention, concern or connection with the students. No learning, just scan, test and dump. You know,...the typical public school experience.

Posted March 8, 2004

I felt that during my stay at Northwest that i did not feel safe. The teachers were not surrounding us in the morning (when most mayhem occurs). I feel that there could be improvement in this. I also felt like NWHS did not let me get a grasp of a real high school expierence.

Posted August 26, 2003

Northwest had a great load of teachers. I was only there for a brief couple of years but enjoyed every thing about it. The teachers were always there to listen.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 65% in 2013.

274 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 42% in 2013.

267 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 62% in 2013.

290 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 68% in 2013.

288 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

279 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

English III

The state average for English III was 40% in 2013.

290 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 50%N/A55%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Nurse(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
  • Join PTO/PTA

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

800 Lafayette Rd