Glenellen Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 986 students

Posted October 3, 2013

I am very surprised by the comments about this school and more so about the principal. All four of my kids go and have gone to this school for the past five years. Three of my kids were special needs. The faculty and staff have always been wonderful to work with and very accommodating. There has always been open communication and eagerness to work to together to do what is best for the kids. Cindy Adams alone has always been front and center if we ever needed anything. She has never ceased to amaze me at how well she knows the kids. During the IEP's she is always telling me instances where she observed my kids doing something. I can't think of a single teacher or therapist that I would replace. They have ALL always made me feel like and shown that my kids education and development are very important. My oldest started out at Sango and we moved to Glenellen's district. I was a little bummed at first but Glenellen has just blown me away. I am just having a hard time believing some of the things that have been said. Also, the parents are very involved. Just try finding a parking spot on Family picnic day or for some event. I just love that!

Posted September 19, 2013

Very disappointed in this school for a variety of reasons. When requesting assistance teachers are not hesitant to share class size as a reason for not performing much needed instruction or follow up.. My child has regressed significantly since being enrolled here.

Posted June 6, 2013

Very Clean, Great enviroment. Excellent teachers and Staff. My son just graduated from 5th grade and for the last 2 years he's been in Glenellen I had no complains at all; he mature a lot. Great communication with the 4th and 5th grade teachers they were always willing to help him. 5 stars for Glenellen. Go Tortoises!

Posted June 21, 2012

This school could benefit from more positive leadership. The principal is rude to parents, students and teachers. I have personally seen her talk down to her staff. I have seen this school from the inside and have seen her staff brought down because of her leadership tones. Instead of helping teachers reach full potential it's almost as if she bullies them. The students are definately affected because the teachers are not at their best, worried of when the next shoe will drop. I have seen it first hand and have also seen this as a parent of three students at this school. I also do not believe that the special needs students in this school are treated with the same diginity as the model student. Every child is equal, and I do not feel that is the case in this school. Do not get me wrong, there are and have been wonderful teachers at Glenellen, but most do not stay long because of current leadership.

Posted May 29, 2012

The principal is a dictator, yielding no autonomy to her teachers or the parents. My daughter's teacher was a great teacher and a great young woman, but it was obvious that the weight of this principal crushed her spirit and resolve. This school will not move toward greatness until she is replaced.

Posted November 3, 2010

I am not at all impressed by this school. My kids have only attended for one year and already they've regressed. My 4th grader is bringing assignments home that were assigned to her in the 2nd at a public school in a different state! And my 2nd grader is not being challenged at all. Children exhibit different learning abilities and teachers should differentiate teaching so that they may enhance learning for "ALL" students. So whether a child is gifted, exceptional, or typical, it is the teacher's duty to implement teaching strategies to meet their unique needs. Then again, I'm sure the administrators have a lot to do with it as well. Unfortunately, this school fosters standards that are extremely low. No child should have to move for these reasons. This school just has to acknowledge that they need a mechanism in place for great improvement and do it!

Posted April 29, 2010

This used to be a great school. The principal has no idea what she is doing. She is rude to the teachers, parents, and PTO. She is no leader and should have never been put in this position.

Posted November 3, 2009

My son has attended Glenellen since August 2007. The school has done an awesome job helping him succeed each year. The teachers we have come into contact with really seem to enjoy their jobs and the children. My daughter started kindergarten in August of this year and she loves it. I love that the teachers make the children feel special. Unfortunately we will be relocating during the summer. If we get the opportunity to move back to Clarksville,like we plan,we will try to live within the Glenellen boundary so our daughter can go there.

Posted December 3, 2008

My son loves going to school and I love the attention every child gets from the staff. When we moved here it was a bit more challenging than the school he had attended prior but he adjusted and is doing awesome!! We love the parent teacher communication.

Posted October 20, 2008

We moved here from Florida and have been extremely disappointed with the quality of education our daughter has received. The disruption in class by misbahaving children is aweful. I feel for the teachers and can't wait to get my child out of this school. Math and science are really lacking in this school. Please visit the surrounding schools and ask about the curriculm before you decide on this school.

Posted October 1, 2008

So far I love it. Both my children love going to school in the morning and there teachers truly love their work and it shows in how the work the kids.!

Posted August 7, 2008

I agree that the individuals in the office treat parents like strangers. They do not allow parents to be involved. The staff seems to be very unfriendly and very rude, I also have a child whom has ADHD, they did not help me help my child with an individual education program. It has made emy child dispise learning and I am very unhappy with thier school system and hope to be able to transfer both of my children

Posted June 17, 2008

My son was in fifth grade this year at Glenellen. He has been at the school for the past 4 years. My son is a typical boy, in that he does not usually enjoy school. he likes to socialize, but that is about it. He has been known to get into trouble and we have had our share of phone calls home. I have always tried to support the teachers and the principals. This year was WONDERFUL! His teacher did not look at him as a troublemaker, she got to know him. She made school fun again, he did not want to miss a day. His grades improved as well as his behavior. So I want to say THANK YOU to his teacher, Mrs. Furcolowe. She is the best in our eyes! maybe you would like to move on to 6th grade?

Posted March 31, 2008

I am mixed with feelings about this school. I know that the teachers have a difficult time dealing with all the kids and making sure each child understands and excels in all their subjects...BUT, if the principal knows that they can't handle it, then she should get better teachers that can. I have had a HUGE problem with their nonchalant attitudes about discipline also. Other than those negatives, I think Glenellen is one of the best schools in Clarksville, from what I hear.

Posted January 8, 2008

As a parent still with this school, i am pleased with the education my children recieve and every afternoon come home with an exciting lesson learned, wanted to thank you sepcial teachers that i have had the pleasure of knowing for the school year.

Posted September 25, 2007

I have serious concerns about the unwelcoming attitude of the principal at this school. If you have a special education child make sure the teacher is properly trained.

Posted July 28, 2006

Let me start by saying that the faculty has done everything possible to make sure my children have been successful! We came from a DOD school system and were pleased to see that the teachers drive the children to be independent and use critical thinking. Of course at times my children have complained, but I am also a driven parent and want my children to be taught, not babied. If it is every parents worry to have their child be in gifted classes there are magnet schools and private school out there. Let me give credit where credit is due! Thank You Mrs. Hunter-K, Mrs. Gracie Nichols-1st, Mrs. Fitch-2nd... We look forward to a great 3rd grade year with Mrs. Fowler (thank you for the welcome card).

Posted June 12, 2006

We just finished another wonderful school year at Glenellen. I have found over the last five years the school to be warm, inviting, academically challenging and responsive to individual student s needs. I volunteer so I know what s going on in my child s life at school. I have seen teachers hired and teachers leave when they could not perform up to the level expected by the caring professionals in the building. The school is large but the caring faculty and administration always make me and my children feel welcomed.

Posted November 24, 2005

I was a new teacher at this school for a short time. I ultimately resigned due to the plethora of administrative restrictions which were often forced upon the teachers, staff, students and parents. My students were not permitted to work on material which was not considered by the administrators to be 'grade-level appropriate' even though many of them demonstrated they were quite capable of doing more than the mandatory grade-level assignments. Parents who were legitimately concerned about the quality of their child's education were often treated with indifferecne or even mild contempt by the administration. The primary concern of this school is standardized test achievement, not the child, teacher or parent. Glenellen is also far too large, both in the physical size of the school and the student body (toping 1,000 or more students regularly). It is an impersonal and unfriendly environment. If you are military, consider Fort Campbell Schools.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 7, 2005

I am very pleased with the faculty, staff and administration at Glenellen. I am thankful that they provide a safe environment and limit parents disrupting the learning of other children with constant interuptions(walking students to class, just a quick chat with the teacher, etc.) The school has high academic standards and addresses the individual needs of all students. The school welcomes volunteers and helps parents discover ways to assist their child.
—Submitted by an administrator

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 49% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 84% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Tennessee used the Tennessee Comprehensive Assessment Program (TCAP) Achievement Test to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading/language arts, math, science and social studies. The TCAP is a standards-based test that measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Tennessee. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 56% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 57% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 55% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 87% in 2013.

Writing

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 43%N/A55%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Nurse(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
  • Join PTO/PTA

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

825 Needmore Rd