Posted July 25, 2014
We have been at Barker's Mill for almost 5 years. We moved in when my son was in Kindergarten and he is getting ready to start fifth grade. Someone below addressed the major turnover among teachers, and a large part of that is unfortunately thanks to the military. A lot of the teachers there are military spouses and leave often. The school has high standards placed on the teachers so a few of those teachers leave because it is a rigorous teaching environment. I have multiple friends who work at this school or have worked there. As far as testing, unfortunately this is a reality of Tennessee. Tennessee has more testing and more rules than any other state I have seen. The teachers that have stayed behind seem to care a lot, and whenever we do our Back to school nights we see so many familiar faces and they all remember many students. We see a lot of the children coming back to see old teachers, talking about how they miss them etc. The teachers are very caring. The school has a family friendly feel, always has. You can go and eat lunch with your child and volunteer in the classrooms. Very warm and inviting.

Posted May 21, 2014
I don't know how the people below had such great experiences. I had the oposite. My child's fourth grade teacher sent multiple notes home thoughout the year. They had numerous grammatical and spelling errors. The curriculum was terrible and there seems to be a huge focus on testing. TESTING DOES NOT SOLVE ALL PROBLEMS. When will the schools figure this out? They spend more time testing than learning. This school also doesn't seem to retain teachers very well. There's always an influx of new teachers that leave withing a year or two. I don't know if they are being forced out, or just finding new schools. Either way, it's not a good sign. Stay away if you value your children's education. They might test well, but they won't actualy be able to apply the knowledge later on in life.

Posted May 13, 2014
I have had nothing but great experience's at Barkers Mill! My children love the teachers principles and other staff. II have nothing negative to say about this school. My son is a 2nd grader and has achieved reading well over expectations!

Posted May 07, 2014
we just moved here from the stl region of mo. my son attends this school and came in the school in the second grade. let me put it this way this school was great. the kids love the weather here they get a great education. The food is good but i send him with lunch most days anyway. my child came from a private school and fit right in. many families are military so that made it easier for my child to addampt and make friends.

Posted April 25, 2014
The school is amazing. From the front desk to the janitors and everyone in between. We have been here for 3 years. They are awesome at communicating with the parents. They are very involved in the community, and really care about the students and parents. I volunteered in this school all the time. So I really knew what was actually going on. We are moving and I am so sad to leave here. Thank you Barkersmill for all you did for us!!!!!

Posted November 27, 2013
Where do I start? This school is terrible. The students are only learning the test material. The administration only cares about test scores. Wake up!!! Test scores aren't everything. Your child will not get a well rounded education at this school. In addition, many of the teachers are cold and don't act like they really want to be there. I think they are only in it for the paycheck. I've never seen so many rude people at one school. Oh and don't bother voicing this concern. I tried to and was basically told by the principal that she can do whatever she wants. She thinks she is better than everyone but clearly doesn't know what is going on in the school, nor does she know the first thing about teaching. I know Clarksville has bad schools, but this is one of the worst. Stay away if at all possible.

Posted September 28, 2013
I wouldn't rate this school even one star. My child went to this school from kindergarten to part of 4th grade. My child had an IEP starting in 3rd grade due to Autism and was treated very badly by this school. .I felt my child was not safe in this school because I had to go to this school several times to complain of behaviors that were not appropriate by staff and bullying by other children. They treated my child horribly. They even locked my child in a room surrounded by adults hovering over them and the child is cowering under the desk. I know, I had to picked them up and saw that with my own eyes. .Everything was always my child's fault in their eyes I moved to a new school across town before the year was up and within a month of being in this new school, my child had an amazing 360 degree Tranformation, They had no behavioral problems, no crying everyday as you pick them up after school. No hiding in the bathrooms from kids bullying them. BarkersMill did nothing to stop the bullying. My child was in special education and That school treated my kid very badly. Beware parents! This is NOT a good school to send your children especially if the are in special education.

Posted July 08, 2013
Barkers Mill teaches to the test rather than ensuring that the students actually know the material. Don't bring this up as a concern though. They don't care. All they care about is high test scores. What good do high test scores do is the students don't actually understand the material.

Posted May 22, 2013
Do not send your kids here. I don't want to get into details, but this is a bad school. I am glad the new school is opening up next year. I am ready for a change.

Posted May 16, 2013
What a terrible school. After moving from Lexington, I had high hopes for this school but those hopes were quickly dashed. While my daughter's fourth grade teacher seems fined, my son's third grade teacher wasn't as good. I took several trips to this school and noticed many problems. It seems that only young white women are employed at this school. I brought several issues to the principal this year and was ignored. In Lexington, the staff was more than happy to help me. This isn't the case here. The principal just likes to shift blame. She is extremely rude and doesn't always tell the truth. I don't know if she's intentionally lying or just so disorganized that she doesn't know what is going on. I talked to several parents about the school and was told that the school was in much better shape before the new principal took over. That's probably why some of the older reviews are good. I'm glad I rented a house in the Barker's Mill area instead of buying one. I'm moving out in July and sending my kids to a different school. The school is just too disorganized to give kids a well rounded education. Don't do your kids a diservice, send them to a different school. They aren't all bad.

Barkers Mill Elementary School
1230 Little Bobcat La, Clarksville, TN  37042
Last modified Barkers Mill Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Barkers Mill Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 38 reviews.