Sango Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 894 students

Posted October 7, 2013

This is our fifth year at Sango, and we are sad to be moving. The faculty and staff have been excellent. They have worked with my children to help them excel and considered their individual needs. We've been so blessed to have our children here.

Posted October 2, 2013

This school only cares about test scores they do not care about the children. If a child try's to be a child they are wrote up. If you want your child to do homework from the time they get home until they go to bed this is the school for you. There are very few teachers who truly care about children if your child has any special needs go somewhere else if you have boys expect a letter wanting an ADD/ADHD SCREANING because in this school children are expected to be mini adults. They rarely go outside for recess because they say its to hot or to cold instead the children have quiet indoor time. Children are going to have extra energyif they cant run it off and be children. If you have an issue and need to talk to the principal save yourself the time and just talk to a brick wall that will be more productive. We are currently moving just to get out of this school.

Posted October 1, 2013

It seems to be a good safe school to send you kids. Teachers seem caring, but be prepared to enroll your kids in the military! Factuality bully kids with constant write ups for the dumbest things! My son got a write up cause a child went to tattle on another child and mistakenly said the wrong name. So we explained this to the factuality and they did not care. Also be prepared to be spending every night doing school work and avoid extra circulars activities because they won't have time.

Posted June 29, 2013

Overall, this is an excellent school. I feel completely safe with my children here every day. The school is very well organized and for the most part; efficient on every level. The academics are challenging and their are many caring teachers. The only area that concerns me is the most of extensive pressure put on children at TCAP time. It is discussed from the start of the year and my children missed many recess times at the end of the year with reviews. They "teach for the test" a great deal here and although I believe in setting a high standard-the amount of pressure on the children to "preform" on TCAP is too much. Overall, this school is a very good experience; but they should consider their overall approach to the state testing with students.

Posted September 28, 2012

You can volunteer at the school usually are by joining the PTA and also by the teacher sending out newsletters or emails asking you to volunteer for certain things in the classroom. They just sent out flyers asking people to volunteer to work the book fair. Yes the car circle is very slow but that is my only complaint. The school welcomes parents to come eat lunch with their kids and even have tables set aside for this purpose. My child is thriving in this school and is happy.

Posted August 14, 2012

The office staff is very dry and not very welcoming. Instead of a "hi, how can I help you" it is more like "what do you want" attitude. The previous review that mentioned that they go to the school to see their son...well, the school must have changed their policies because I couldn't even get past the front desk without an appointment either with my child's teacher or to even get to the library to assit the librarian...so much for them making it easy to volunteer. The car circle is extremely slow and if you end up at the end of the line, then you can probably expect for your child to wait outside for 20 to 30 minutes before you are up front. Your child either rides the bus or you use the car circle. There are no other ways to pick up your child unless you sign him/her out early. I have def seen more efficient use of a car circle. This review is not acadeic based but policy an service based.

Posted January 31, 2012

The only parents that don't have a problem with the demographic break down at Sango are the 84%. I'm disappointed in the lack of diversity among the staff at Sango. I'm grateful that my son will be attending Caramel Elementary in August. There is definitely a lack of consideration of others at this school. The school secretary had the audacity to ask me if my son and I have the same last name? This wouldn't have been a big deal had she asked the white lady who was also signing in to eat lunch with her child the same question. Never assume it only shows your ignorance and lack of professionalism!

Posted January 29, 2012

This site reports the child ethnicity ratio as 84% white, and a combined 15% other. I'm curious to know the teacher ethnicity ratio. I've heard horror stories of staff leaders accusing children of color of using profanity simply because the staff member did not understand the dialect of the given child. Also some rules of sending children having difficulty in class to another class with upper-level, older children. I don't see how that is conducive to learning and I don't think it is why my taxes help pay teachers salaries. With such a large mismatch of cultures, I wonder if the teachers receive training in diversity.

Posted August 28, 2011

Strong leadership. Excellent and caring teachers. An abundance of extracurricular activities that teachers run on their own time.

Posted July 26, 2011

We moved across town so that my son could attend Sango, and I could not ask for a better school. The teachers and the staff have been extremely helpful and patient in working with my son and I. They are very quick, responsive and on the ball in responding to requests for LD testing, and in maintaining open lines of communication. Though my son is still struggling due to ADHD and LD, I feel that they went above and beyond the call of duty in the accommodation they provided. Thank you, Sango!

Posted July 7, 2011

I scoured this site before our military move. It is true test scores are very good, they spend weeks taking practice tests and putting pressure on students and parents about the results. The culture is extremely protective. They rarely go out for recess it is almost always too hot or too cold (my child had three times as much recess when we lived in Alaska.) Quiet indoor recess is not a substitute for outdoor recess, especially for active, younger children. It is an enormous school. If you have children that are excellent students and hope they will potentially do homework from the moment they get home from school (which is half an hour longer in the spring to make up all the "snow days") until they go to bed, this may be the school for you. If these other things concern you, don't let that 10 charm you like it did me. I know parents who drive their kids across town to Moore Magnet and love it.

Posted March 25, 2011

I applaud Ms. Vaughn for using her talents in an effort to get the school faculty on a path that focuses on the children instead of their inbred values. It must be difficult. I've noticed a complete turnover in the diversity of the faculty, and it must be a challenge for minorities in that school. I wonder if those posting five stars are of the 90 plus % majority of the school population. I will watch closely!

Posted March 14, 2011

Sango Elementary is the best school in the county! Mrs. Vaughn is an excellent principal with an outstanding faculty and staff striving to meet the needs of all students. My kindergarten student has exceeded my expectations for growth this year. I am so thankful for such a wonderful place for children to achieve academic and social success!

Posted January 22, 2011

I am shocked to read the negative comments about Sango. My son has been there for 3 years and he (and we) havebeen so happy with everything at this school. His teachers have been warm, caring and very focused on teaching. The strict atmosphere allows teachers to do their job - teach - rather than focus on discipline all the time. I have never found any of my son's teachers to be demeaning or uncaring. My son is thriving in this environment and enjoys the rewards for good behavior and the recognition for hard work in academics. Do not be deterred by these comments. Every parent I personally know at this school is very pleased!

Posted July 27, 2010

Wow! 5 stars for Sango! We wish to thank the faculty and staff for another exceptional school year. Well done, Mrs. Vaughn, as you maintained the highest of standards in your first year as principal of Sango. We appreciated your open door policy, active listening, and sound decision-making. Our daughter (1st) thrived under the direction and caring of Ms. VanSickle. This young teacher set a sterling example through her dedication, competence, organizational skills, and positive attitude. Kudos to you! We look forward to 2nd grade, and for our youngest to begin kindergarten in 10 days! Keep up the great work! From appreciative parents with Sango Panther Pride!

Posted July 13, 2010

We were very disappointed with Sango. The emphasis is on "appearances". The children are overlooked and expected to act like adults instead of children. When issues are addressed with administration, she is unwilling to consider any options besides her own. We are thrilled that our children are attending a different school now. The change has been tremendous. Rossview Elementary is high in academics while allowing children to be children.

Posted May 27, 2010

Very happy! The academics are great! This past year I had a son in the third grade and a son in K. Both of them enjoy the school greatly. I do have a slight problem with how strict the discipline is. My older son was sent to the Principle's office numerous times this year and was on the verge of being suspended for things I did not perceive as worthy of being sent to the Principle's office for.......disciplined and a note sent home....yes...suspended for...no. Unless the student is flat out threating another child or fighting or causing physical harm to another, (which my son was not) how can a third grader possibly be on the verge of suspension? Despite this slight problem this year, I am very happy with the school and would highly recommend it.

Posted November 9, 2009

We just moved here from Indiana and I was a little hesitant about the schools out here. I have absolutely fallen in love with Sango Elementary! The staff is extremely helpful and welcoming. Mrs. Cotter and Mrs. Morris are amazing and my children rave on and on about their teachers. Communication is great! There is Powerschool and the teacher always email back right away. I see why this school is rated 10 out of 10! Keep up the great work Sango!

Posted November 7, 2009

As a teacher, I am honored to teach at Sango. It is a remarkable school. As a parent, I am concerned about the PTA this year. We have always been a school known for parent involvement, but this year the PTA has done much less for the teaching staff and has all but stopped communicating with most of the parents. I don't know what has changed this year, but its not a change for the better. We have so many wonderful parents at Sango who would love to support the school if they were only contacted.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 29, 2009

We moved to this area in large part so our kids could attend Sango. After one rough year there they now attend private school. Weeks of my 1st grader losing recess (as a class) and having to sit boy girl boy in the cafeteria to cut down on chatter was enough for me. My 6 yr old cried most afternoons, she was starved for play, relaxation, warmth and freedom. She was a prisoner in that school. She is also an honor roll student with zero discipline issues, often overlooked when her hand was raised. If students get out of their seat they are told to sit down without ever finding out why they are up. I do not feel my child was treated like a person at this school but an inmate. She is so much happier at CA!!!!!

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 49% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 84% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Tennessee used the Tennessee Comprehensive Assessment Program (TCAP) Achievement Test to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading/language arts, math, science and social studies. The TCAP is a standards-based test that measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Tennessee. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 56% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 57% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 55% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 87% in 2013.

Writing

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 15%N/A55%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

3585 Sango Rd