Barksdale Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 674 students

Posted September 29, 2014

I love this school. My son attended kindergarten and first grade here, sadly we are moving to Arlington and hope to find a similar school for him. The teachers are wonderful!

Posted September 13, 2012

I have had two children attend Barksdale Elementary School, and one more that will start in the future. Based on our experience all of the teachers and administration are truely loving caring individuals who strive to teach, guide, and lead the students in the best manor possible. Because this is a title 1 school, I believe they have the ability to provide so many more possibilities to the children. I think that it truely takes a village to raise a child, and when parents take the time to get involved the children thrive so much more. I have been very pleased with our experience at this school and appreciate all of the hard work that everyone puts into making this such a great place!

Posted September 9, 2012

Other than a pretty landscape, this is a mediocre school. My daughter attended this school for two years (we are military). The classrooms have no authenticity, personality, or character and my daughter constantly (and I mean CONSTANTLY) complained that school was boring. She has attended a private school and switched to another elementary school in her young education, so I felt obligated to rate this school in comparison for other parents. My daughter agrees that I feel it is unfortunate for my her that we wasted two years of her youth and education here.

Posted May 13, 2012

In my experience I have seen the teacher have favortism toward certain students and in this case it seems that if the teacher knew you outside of the classroom that they were more lenient or tolerant on your child. I have seen first hand two students be in the wrong and then only one child be punished. When the teacher was approached and asked about the dispartity, the teacher quickly went to do something else and removed themself from the question of why only one child received the punishment....recess is easily taken away at the school for any infraction. Also, if the parent forgot to sign off on their child's behavior calendar, regardless if the child was on green, then the next day they start off on yellow regardless of their behavior because it wasn't signed off on. This isn't the child's fault. I definitely think that there can be better communication between the teacher and parents as to how their child is performing in class and their behavior.

Posted April 16, 2012

My children attended Barksdale, and it is an EXCELLENT school. The teachers there care for students as if they are their own. Expectations are high, and, because of that, the school continues to achieve academic success. In reference to the 'loss of recess' for not doing homework...my children wrote their assignments in their planners, and they completed them at night. They knew if they didn't do homework, there would be consequences at school. I would much rather my child lose his/her recess for not doing homework than to be excused and allowed to believe that skimping is okay. Because of the standards to which Barksdale held my children, they are both excelling in middle and high school!

Posted August 17, 2011

I am consistently impressed with Barksdale as a place to nurture my child in both education and confidence. We have had constant positive experiences with teachers and administration. When we did experience a particular problem concerning our child last year, Ms. Peggy Vaden, the principal, was both sympathetic and proactive in response. Once the issue was (very quickly) identified and resolved, my son went from crying at the very thought of school to now being disappointed if he has to miss any time at all!

Posted August 15, 2011

I have to agree and disagree with some of the reviews here. We did open enrollment to get my son into Barksdale and have been nothing but THRILLED with the results. We are zoned for Moore...meh, went to CA for a year TOTALLY unimpressed (with the school, not my son's teacher) and then came to Barksdale and are totally in love. My son IS on the A honor roll but is also special needs. His first grade teacher noticed is stuttering and high anxiety when it came to test taking and IMMEDIATELY enrolled him with their speech & language pathologist to address this. Not because his stuttering is off the charts but more for his high anxiety when it came to taking a test and because she wants it to be under control for THIRD GRADE! (when the major testing starts) That's how far ahead she is thinking for my child. That's how much they care at Barksdale. She could have easily let it slide and let it be someone else's problem the next year but didn't. He just started 2nd grade and while he is doing fine so far, they are still working with him on his testing and anxiety. They are just fantastic here and care a LOT about all of the students including ones with special needs.

Posted June 20, 2011

As another parent stated below, Barksdale is a great school if your child is a good student and doesn't need any extra help. They definitely "teach to the TCAP", but these days it seems that all schools do, so I can hardly fault them for that. Barksdale has amazing teachers who love their students and will spend extra time with them when needed. The PE coaches are phenomenal and make PE fun. At the end of the year they throw the best Field Day ever! It's time for a change of principal, however. She obviously does not value children with special needs and likes to keep them hidden away as much as possible in the "life skills" class which is little more than free babysitting. She wants to make sure no one pulls down those precious test scores, no matter the cost, and once you make her angry, your children WILL pay the price. Not to knock all administration though, the vice principal is caring and friendly and really should be in charge. All that to say, if you have a child with no learning difficulties, Barksdale is the place to go. Otherwise, research Montgomery County carefully! There are MUCH better schools in this town for children with special needs.

Posted August 28, 2009

barksdale is an hand on school, they're really pay attention to your student and help them with their problems

Posted February 21, 2009

This is an awesome school. I moved my children here from Sango. What a difference. This is an awesome, nurturing, and fun school with good test scores.

Posted January 11, 2009

Barksdale is an excellent school. The teachers are truly professional and work well together. My children both love it and have excelled because of the caring atmosphere and high expectations. Each child is valued and my children really feel like a special part of the Barksdale family.

Posted September 18, 2008

Barksdale has a great principal, Ms Vaden and she really cares about the school,the teachers and the students. It is a good school if you have a good student but if your student needs individual help there seems to be a missing link for those students.

Posted September 10, 2008

Great school! We moved from out of state specifically to the Barksdale zoned area so that my daughter, who has special needs, would attend the best school in the district. Not only is the staff caring and kind, but they also try to accommodate needs that are not being met by the intermittent abscense of therapists from central office. I truly believe that the teachers and administration are interesting and actively working to help my child succeed.

Posted January 30, 2008

I lived in barksdale zone area at the beginning of the school year. I have since then moved to a very bad school area and continue to drive 30 minutes out of the way to make sure my child stays in this wonderful school. The staff is always friendly and helpful and I recommend this school to anyone that wants their child to have the best possible start to their life long education.

Posted November 20, 2007

Barksdale is a wonderful school. Most of the concepts for education are very sound. The only thing I disagree with is the tendency to have kids 'solve all things on their own'. Sometimes kids need guidance. They have so much to do already. Otherwise I have no complaints at all. I do recommend this school for all children.

Posted September 25, 2007

Super friendly teachers! But in my opinion not the best when it comes to identifying and perusing possible learning disabilities, for example, IEP testing. I was told that my son needed to repeat a grade and I refused. My son has attended another school for the last couple years, who very quickly did the IEP testing and got him on the right track, he is doing great and I m extremely glad I stuck to my guns and perused other options! I think Barksdale is an excellent school for any child that doesn t have learning differences.

Posted May 19, 2006

My child attended Barksdale Elementary for 3 years and we absolutely loved that school. It's ranked one of the highest in the city of Clarksville. We were very impressed with the teachers and the principal. It makes me sad that we have to take our child out but we have no choice because of a move out of state.

Posted December 14, 2005

Barksdale Elementary is consistently one of the best schools in Montgomery County. I have never heard anyone say an unkind word about this school, and I am so delighted that my daughtr has the opportunity to be a part of such a positive educational environment. I think one of the keys to this school's academic success is the leadership. Mrs. Stone is an experienced educator and administrator, and I am convinced she knows what she is doing. Also, I think the teachers are committed to providing a solid educational background to our children. Barksdale gets an A in my grade book.

Posted October 8, 2005

This school year was the first time my children ever attended public school.Needless to say Mama...and babies,were just a little nervous. I'm happy to say I did not stay nervous very long. The staff there was so nice and helpful...my fears were relieved so quickly! I knew that my children would be fine because the staff was so caring. They have been there for about 1 month now and I couldn't be happier! The kids love it and I am so thankful to have a school like Barksdale in my community. My only regret is not putting my children in there sooner!

Posted April 30, 2005

my family and i just moved to clarksville, tn and i am very pleased with the school. my son attends barksdale elementary and is doing great. at first he was a little nervous but the staff at the school did everything that they could to make him feel better and it definately worked. i have seen a big improvement in him socialy and also academically. i would recomend this school to anyone. they do so much with the children and make them feel at home. it is a very good environment for kids to learn in and also have a great time while they are doing it.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 49% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 84% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Tennessee used the Tennessee Comprehensive Assessment Program (TCAP) Achievement Test to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading/language arts, math, science and social studies. The TCAP is a standards-based test that measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Tennessee. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 56% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 57% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 55% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 87% in 2013.

Writing

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 53%N/A55%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Nurse(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Staff resources available to students
  • Nurse(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Counseling
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
  • Join PTO/PTA

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1920 Madison Ext