Crosswind Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 734 students

Posted June 12, 2011

Excellent school with gifted teachers. Enrichment available to all students in all grades. Our children have excelled at this school.

Posted September 23, 2010

This is great elementary school because each child is an individual, and is treated like they are important,and are taught to their level regardless of grade.

Posted March 2, 2009

This is the best school in the area right now. We selected Crosswind over private because it is better. If they gave us private for free and charged for Crosswinds, we would pay. I went to a local private school by the way. If you value parental involvement and great performance at every level then this is the school to choose. Did I mention that it is free!!

Posted August 10, 2008

We have moved alot and and have had children in elementary schools in three states. We have always been deeply concerned in the value of our children's education. We have had 2 children attend Crosswinds, including our first grader this year. This is a great school with involved, professional teachers and staff. Mrs. Lamkins is amazing - she knows every child's name! Any parent should rest easy knowing that their child will receive a quality, well rounded experience at Crosswinds.

Posted June 6, 2008

I agree, Kindergarten is very rigid. My daughter just completed kindergarten but she did learn a lot and received a good foundation for her learning. I do believe that more creativity and social opportunity would benefit the children at this age. What happened to show and tell?

Posted January 22, 2008

Kindergarten is extremely rigid, little value is placed on the value of the individual child. Children begin kindergarten here with the expectation that they will misbehave and the teaching approach is consistently punitive. Play in kindergarten is openly discouraged and environment is heavily structured. I found it to be an inappropriate learning environment for 5 and 6 year olds, one that seems to disregard lastest learning and research on the best ways to teach young children. We withdrew our child.

Posted January 15, 2008

There are plenty of extra curricular activities at crosswind. This is our first year at Crosswind and we are truly impressed. Moving my kids from an extreamly expensive private school in Germantown I was nervous but this school has more than exceeded my expectations. My husband and I feel like fools for spending all the money on private shcool when this school is run just as well (mabey even better because Ms Lampkins-the principle is wonderful and runs an fabulous school). The teachers are great and really care for the kids and the parent involvement is extremely high,

Posted September 5, 2007

When parents get involved in school, they know what is happening. My son has been at Crosswind since Kindergarten and now he is in fifth grade. This is a wonderful school and a school that really cares about children. They do provide extra curricular activities, let me list just a few: Tutoring for Math and Reading, Chorus and Drama, Hands on Science, Reading enrichment, Newspaper, Chess Club, Club Invention, Chinese Language Club, Knitting, S.E.L.F. fitness, Tech Club and BEST Club. Thanks Crosswind for providing my son a well round education.

Posted August 31, 2007

No extracurricular activies. too many parents wandering around not doing anything but gossip and visiting. let the teachers teach! less cutsy stuff!!

Posted April 5, 2007

I have nothing but great things to say about Crosswind. Moving to a new area with kids with special needs can be stressful because of not knowing what to expect from a new school. But from day one, Ms. Lampkins, principal, office staff, teachers, and everyone made us feel welcome. The kids have adapted very well and love this school! We are very sad that we will be moving at the end of the school year. We will miss Crosswind Elementary.

Posted January 9, 2007

Crosswind is a fantastic school!! My son has been there for 3 years and we are very pleased. The principal knows everyone by their first name and she makes every child feel special. I love the parental involvement!! I think parents can make a difference and this is demonstrated at Crosswind. I am very sad that we will be moving at the end of this school year. Your child would be lucky to attend such an excellent school. The teachers are great as well. We have been blessed with such caring teachers...

Posted May 23, 2006

My son is in his final year at Crosswind and started in the second grade. This is a wonderful school with excellent teachers and staff. The principal is firm but very caring. She is always present throughout the school day and actively participates in afternoon dismissal (standing in the crosswalk while kids cross the street, helping them onto their buses or into their cars). She lets them know just how important they are to her. My son had difficulties in class, but teachers & couselors were always ready & willing to help or lend support in any way they could. We will miss this school so much! They welcome and appreciate parental involvement. We highly recommend this school.

Posted February 13, 2006

My 3rd grade daughter has been in Crosswind since Kindergarten. We were very pleased with all aspects of the school at that time and, somewhat remarkably, it has managed to get better in each successive year. The leadership is fully engaged, interested, proactive, responsive, and exceptionally competent. The teachers are knowledgeable, caring, disciplined, and dedicated. The parents are consistently involved, supportive, and encouraging. With the recent opening of another local elementary school, the class sizes have been reduced (they were never too large), and all of the special purpose rooms have been reclaimed for their original purpose. The material being taught is broad and enriched by the overall educational experience. I couldn't be more pleased with Crosswind.

Posted January 3, 2006

I have reviewed this school in the past, but now they have a new principal. What a difference! The response to any problems or inquiries has been fast and very helpful. The principal takes a personal interest in what is happening at the school and puts the kids first. I felt the previous principal was there to pad her resume. My child experienced a tough year during fourth grade. After talking with the principal during the summer, she made sure things were handled differently, and my child has been like a different kid this year. Happy, doing so much better at school, etc. The teachers are great and responsive to our requests and keep us informed of any problems or great things that go on in the classroom. The parent involvement and fund-raising is high, and allows our school to have programs and teaching materials that the regular budget can't provide.

Posted January 3, 2006

This school has been a God-send. This is the kind of school where principals and teachers know all of the kids AND their parents by their FIRST NAMES! You are greeted and welcomed each time you come through the front door. They expect and receive one of the highest parent-participation rates in the state. Academically, their scores are consistently rated at the top.

Posted November 8, 2005

My daughter attended Crosswind, as well as, I have been the School Resource Officer there for six years. This has always been a strong academic school with huge parental involvement. I can go on and on about what a great school this is. The leadership and staff are excellent! The students are challenged and developed on their own learning level. Crosswind's atmosphere is like one big family and the students know the staff have their safety and academic and social progress as the highest priority.

Posted November 8, 2004

LEADERSHIP IS THE KEY!!! Crosswind has the BEST LEADERSHIP!!! Our principal is very dedicated to her profession. I wake up every morning with a positive outlook toward my classroom, lots of energy and love for my school because here at Crosswind we have a principal that CARES about the students, parents, school and faculty. Standards are set very high at Crosswind and we are very fortunate to have a principal that makes sure we reach our goals for our school. Our principal treats everyone with dignity and respect. Hopefully, I can retire here. What a great place to work!!!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 28, 2004

The teachers at Crosswind are excellent! I was particularly pleased with my child's fourth grade teacher, Ms. McGee, who made learning fun and encouraged her students to do their best. She inspired my child to take care of the environment - a lesson I hope he carries with him throughout his life. Thank you, Crosswind! And thank you, Ms. McGee!

Posted October 16, 2004

My son is in kindergarten this year and I couldn't be more pleased! His teacher, Mrs. Beesinger, is the most competent and caring teacher I've had the priveledge to know. The whole staff really cares and the PTA involvement is outstanding. It is a wonderful school!

Posted August 3, 2004

I have two children attending Crosswind and mostly we have been quite happy. While I agree that the parent involvement is wonderful at Crosswind, I think it is a vital role. This school could not function without it in many aspects. I am concerned about class size and over crowding. Kindergarten held gym in their classrooms at times as well as many other activities. Some inclusion kids did not receive enough individual supervision which resulted in overwhelming the class and the teacher. I will say though that the staff I had involvement with was loving and attentive as well as being great educators!

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

117 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 49% in 2013.

117 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 84% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Tennessee used the Tennessee Comprehensive Assessment Program (TCAP) Achievement Test to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading/language arts, math, science and social studies. The TCAP is a standards-based test that measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Tennessee. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 56% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 57% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 55% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 87% in 2013.

Writing

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 12% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 6%N/A55%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

831 West Shelton Rd