Collierville Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 789 students

Posted November 8, 2005

I have been the School Resource Officer for this school for six years. The leadership and staff are excellent. Safety, academic and social progress are top priority. Students are challenged and encouraged at their own learning level and style. This school is going through remoldeling and new building but still is able to uphold their high level of academic status. Parental involvement is high here and encouraged.
—Submitted by a staff

Posted July 29, 2005

I am a staff member as well as parent of CES. I have had a wonderful experinece at this school.I have an inside view of what it takes to manage a school of this size and magnitude. Hats off to our Principal. I would not wish to walk in her shoes. Maybe some of you 'Nay sayers' should. Then you would have something better to type and talk about. I look forward to an incredible 2005-06 school year as a parent and employee of CES!
—Submitted by a staff

Posted June 26, 2005

As a parent of children with some special educational needs, I would like to send a word of caution to parents of children with special needs. Please have an IEP type meeting before sending your child to CES. I have found CES's special ed, as well as support from administration and classroom teachers VERY lacking in this area. I chose NOT to have my child attend because both my husband and I were appalled at the lack of knowledge about my child's educational needs (dyslexia). Shelby County as a whole is not interested in thse children and CES is no exception.

Posted June 3, 2005

I am very pleased with Collierville Elementary. It is a quality school and I will give a lot of the credit to the principal. We are having an entire new school built on the same site as the current school. While it may be an inconvience, the kids haven't missed one lesson. The principal is very conscious of the students' safety while being sure not to distract them from their curriculum. This is a huge undertaking and she has not missed a beat since it started. What more can you ask for. I must say that the people that write negative comments about the principal have not seen Collierville Elem through their kids eyes. If you ask the kids of the parents that are complaining, those kids would have no complaints. Wise up people, acknowledge a good thing when you have one.

Posted June 2, 2005

I would like to say that the school is one of the finest in Collierville. This year alone the teaching assistant staff went from 6 to 4 yet those 4 women did a wonderful job. Always there to help whether my child walked to school or rode thru the car line. I don't think credit it given to the behind the scenes people that greet each child with a smile and a warm 'good morning'. Plus these ladies helped everyday in the cafeteria doing various jobs. I know that anyone of them would be and will be sadly missed by not only my children but other children at CES.

Posted May 1, 2005

I continue to be amazed and dismayed by the comments on this site by a FEW disgruntled parents who desparately need to find another subject to obsess on. CES is not only a great elementary school, it is the premier elementary school that everyone in the area would like for their children to attend. Yes, we have a 'new' principal who succeeded a 'lifer' who was beloved by the community. The current principal has ruffled feathers... because she DOES HER JOB. She has never been anything but professional, courteous, personally comforting and edifying to both my children and myself. One of my children has special needs, and she has gone above and beyond the call of duty for her. The school is clean, quiet and orderly; the staff are friendly and loving, and the principal is great. What more can we ask for? GET A LIFE, people, and support your school.

Posted March 29, 2005

I too am a new parent moving in from out of state. This school is so awesome and all these negative postings seem to be coming from a few disgruntled people whom i have yet to meet. Everyone is so nice and friendly and the principal is very approachable. She even takes her turn unloading and loading the car line. The office staff is great, the teachers are wonderful and when all these renovations are done, the school will top of the line in every way. Go CES!

Posted March 27, 2005

Well, I'm not one to usually respond to these things but felt I must contribute. I'm not anybody special- just a parent that is up at the school a lot volunteering. I'm not one of the chosen 'few' but have gotten to know the principal, administration and most teachers by being involved and find that all these negatives postings are words of the minority. As far as running the school like the military, welcome to the world now. That is in order to keep your children safe because believe it or not, school's not the same anymore. My kids LOVE their school and they are showed kindness and love every day.

Posted January 24, 2005

As a parent of children transferring in from out of state recently, I have to disagree with most reviews written on this site. My children love this school. The class size is very small and the teachers we have are wonderful. The principal is kind and welcoming. She recently had a coffee hour for new parents and encouraged anyone with concerns to call her. She introduced us to many volunteers and PTA members and they all seem very, very nice and want to have as many people as possible come into the school to help, visit for lunch, ect. My son loves 'his special seat' in the cafeteria, except on Fridays when they can sit anywhere. ( its all how it is presented to them)The school is very organized and very parent friendly. I am very happy with out decision to move here and very happy to be at CES.

Posted November 8, 2004

It is disappointing to see the bickering between staff & parents in this forum. It only deters new parents from considering CES which is sad. The quality of education at CES is comparable to the other schools in Collierville. Like everywhere else, I am sure there are some bad apples in the bunch, but I have yet to meet them. My family has been impressed by the enthusiasm & creativity of the 4 teachers we have been blessed with during the past two years. This past year's emphasis on community has been super! I am encouraged that CES is maintaining high academic standards while also teaching life lessons. After all, the most important lessons to be learned from school are more than just facts & figures. I am glad my children are learning to interact with the world in a positive way from their teachers at CES.

Posted October 22, 2004

As a parent who's child has moved on from this school...horray for us! We attended CES for 5 years and the last 2 were the worst ever. Our kids had more taken away from them than added to help with academic support. I am appauled that anyone would highly recommend this principal when I believe she doesn't take any concerns seriously. To remove honor roll is absurd and to deprive our students their final year under her rein should tell you something about her skills as a leader. Glad we are away from this situation and feel for all parents left to deal with the current administration.

Posted October 22, 2004

As a teacher at Collierville Elementary who has worked for the previous administration as well as the current I must say that I am embarrassed by the cheap shots and ill-informed opinions posted on this website against our current administration. Until you have worn the shoes of someone else, criticisms should be limited. It is a rare person who can deal perfectly in every situation when they have over 800 student personalities, 50+ teacher and staff personalities and potentially 1600+ parent personalities to consider, and at the same time are expected to elevate levels of learning, personal growth and maintain discipline and safety. This may result in phone calls not being returned as promptly as you would like. If we are such an affluent community, surely we are educated and understand that in the overall scheme of educating children, assigned seats in the cafeteria should not be our major concern.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 21, 2004

I am appalled by the responses. I am a parent and teacher. I transferred to work under this principal because of her ideas. We are stressed. The principal is not creating these problems. The Board has put pressure on the principal and teachers because of the NCLB. I would not want my child in a class with a teacher that is not willing to implement the things that the principal is trying to do. I want my child reaching higher and not doing worksheets 7 hrs a day. I did not assign my students to assigned seats at the beginning of the year. Within 2 weeks I had numerous problems. After assigning seats, I no longer have problems. I have structured recess twice a week. My students love it and complain if I don't do it. These parents need to get involved with government and spend time off the web.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 20, 2004

I have several things to address: 1. Unless you are a teacher at the school then you have no real information about the relationship between the principal and the teachers and whether or not they feel appreciate by the new principal. 2. If side streets are a safety issue then parents should request more police officers be assigned to watch for speeders and parents could consider picking up their kids instead of making them walk home. Yes, I pick up my kids. 3. With the current renonvation to the school and the working being done, the children do not have the luxury to play freely as there are now construction zones around the front of the school. Play has to be more organized to cut down on the risks. I would also suggest that people read the guidelines for submitting comments. Of the comments submitted over half do not meet the guidelines for submission.

Posted October 20, 2004

Having known many of the faculty members for several years, I can attest to the overwhelming desire of many skilled teachers and staff that are seeking the opportunity to 'get out'; either through eary retirement or transfer. As someone who has spent the major portion of my working life in management and leadership positions I can clearly say this principal would not last 3 months in a management role in the corporate world.I urge the parents of these students to make your voice heard at the Board of Ed. and get your commissioner involved.

Posted October 20, 2004

I almost didn't add my own thoughts to this forum. But I'm deeply troubled by the impression previous comments have left to those considering enrolling their children into this school. CES has always been an institution that puts children first. Teachers, administrators, parents, and staff are in the habit of working long hours to make sure our students get the individualized attention, services, and education they expect and deserve. Our continued high academic achievement, diverse population, safe and creative climate, and involvement in many community projects pay tribute to a school that has maintained its sense of establishment with pride. Yes, CES is evolving - albeit, reluctantly at times - as technology marches us into the era of cutting edge education. As standards are set higher, CES works harder to meet them. And to anyone considering CES for their family, I say this: there is no better school in Collierville!

Posted October 18, 2004

As a former student at this school and a teacher now, I think many of these parents need to spend a couple of days in this school in the shoes of the principal and the staff. Alot is involved that parents don't know about. If your child has to sit in an assigned seat, chill out. It is good for children to interact with those they would not normally choose to interact with. As far as turn over rate of teachers- give me a break. I teach at a school where the turn over rate this past year was 17 new teachers. That is turn over rate! I believe the turn over rate was about 5 teachers (maybe less). This is normal. The parents at this school need to realize how blessed they are to be in this school- you could always be in a city school.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted October 16, 2004

Collierville Elementary has gone from a school that teachers were fighting to get into to a school that teachers are fighting to get out of. I, too, am hoping that the school board will wake up to the trouble our school is in. Maybe when the new elementary school opens in the fall and all of the CES teachers transfer to it someone will notice. Of course, by then it will be too late.

Posted October 16, 2004

Being new here, I'm having a hard time understanding why this principal is keeping her job. Parents are clearly unhappy. Teachers are miserable. And student test scores are dropping. What possible justification can there be for keeping this administration?

Posted October 8, 2004

If there are so many parents that are upset with the lack of communication then obviously there is a problem. The principal lacks the leadership skills to address parents concerns. She refuses to return phone calls and only communicates with her 'chosen' few. A leader must treat each parent with dignity and respect not pick and choose her favorites. The same 'group' of parents has an open door policy with this principal and others are not treated the same. When will our school district see what is happening to this school? Many have tried to take their concerns to a higher level but no one wishes for their children to suffer any retribution. Teachers cannot complain because they need their job. There are so many postings on this site that obviously many parents feel the same way. I didn't realize that others felt the same. Maybe this will change things.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 49% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 84% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Tennessee used the Tennessee Comprehensive Assessment Program (TCAP) Achievement Test to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading/language arts, math, science and social studies. The TCAP is a standards-based test that measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Tennessee. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 56% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 57% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 55% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 87% in 2013.

Writing

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 25%N/A55%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

590 Peterson Lake Rd