Collierville High School

Public | 9-12

Posted April 18, 2014

It's a great school two of my sons graduated from there and I am looking forward to my grand and great grand going to CHS

Posted August 4, 2013

New administration came on board in 2012, and they are doing an outstanding job with this school. The academics are challenging, the number of AP classes offered is higher than any school in the Memphis area. Although most students are on a college track, there are offerings for other areas like cosmetology. The class of 2013, with fewer than 500 had 7 Advanced Placement International Diploma recipients 44 Cum Laude Society members (CHS is the only public school in TN with this distinction) 11 National AP Scholars, 46 AP Scholars with Distinction, 26 AP Scholars with Honor 76 AP Scholars and 1 US Presidential Scholar candidate. Athletics and the arts are strong. The PTSA is active and involved, great communication through Facebook and Twitter. This is truly a great school.

Posted January 4, 2012

This school continually distinguishes itself from the pack. They recently became the only public school in TN with a Cum Laude chapter. This process took 10 years of looking at the top 20% of students. They encourage the kids to take the most challenging classes that they can, while offering other avenues and support for kids who need extra help. Great extracurricular activities as well. The block scheduling implemented in 2010 has proved to improve learning even more.

Posted August 26, 2011

As an alum of CHS, I am proud to say that I got to spend my 4 years of high school here. Yes, the hallways are crowded, but I think it made high school fun. You always saw people you knew while switching classes and it was an easy way to meet others. I had issues with a few teachers, but most of them were great. It provides SO many opportunities to get involved too! It's a great school and definitely better than any Memphis High School!

Posted August 15, 2011

This is school is excellent and has provided a safe learning environment. There are so many opportunities for the students to get involved.

Posted May 12, 2011

This is overall a great school. I believe that according to national studies, this school ranks among the top 10-15% of high schools in the United States. I can only give a students view of this school as a freshman here. The teachers here are very good. They care about their classes, and lessons are thought about and information is presented understandably and easy to grasp. I quickly learned that it isn't easy making A's and B's by doing minimal work, but work isn't brutal, it simply needs attention. While the teachers are good, they're not perfect, and some I suggest staying away from. If you are an incoming freshman honors student, you might want to consider having a sophomore geometry teacher rather than the freshman one. Unfortunately, you can tell she's trying to teach, cares about the class and the material, and is delivering important information, but she does not know how to control a rowdy class, and she does not know how to deliver the information, and end result is the feeling of not learning much. Other than that, I enjoyed my classes. All Extracurricular activities at the school are good as well, but I suggest that all grade levels avoid the orchestra program here.

Posted April 29, 2011

I have had all four of my children graduate from CHS. They have all been proficient in English, Math and Science at the college level. Although no school is perfect CHS works hard at improving their areas of deficiency. Leadership staff is excellent. Can't find a public school any better than this. Great job

Posted March 12, 2011

Collierville High School is truly a wonderful school. There are numerous ways to get involved, such as SGA, theater, newspaper, yearbook, sports, etc. Almost all of the teachers are superb and really care about the students. As the editor of the school newspaper, I've learned a lot more than most students about the different aspects of the school, and because of this, I can rightly say that our school has a lot to offer any student--whatever his or her strongest point may be! I have noticed, however, that our administration is heavily driven by rankings and test scores. I believe this has caused a blind spot when it comes to students who are troublesome or struggling academically and need special attention. Overall, though, the students and teachers make the school a tremendous place and provide the school with a great atmosphere.

Posted April 21, 2010

Collerville High School is an O.K. School. In order to get the best education possible at the school you need to take the AP and horors classes. Mrs. Janis Martin, Stephen Blake, and Coach Brock are some of the best teachers i've seen at this school. They all care greatly for the student and want to help them succeed. The school has many faults too. The administration is ok but could use some improvement. The punishments for fiting are handled well but there are little or no incentives for being good. The dress code has gotten less strict but still rediculous because of getting Saturday school right off the bat for being out of code. The school is very very OVERCROUDED there is not enough time to change classes. Overall CHS is a school with good academics but NEEDS new facilities to meet the needs for such a large school.

Posted March 25, 2010

I was an alumni and now a parent of a student there. I can honestly say if you can afford to put your child in a private school please do. This is honestly one of the worst high schools I have ever dealt with. The Administration is out of touch with the children and parents. Many of the teachers ought to have been fired due to performance but are still there due to tenure and most of all the school looks and is run like a prison. Common sense and thinking do not rate high in the admonostrations views. Rules for the sake of rules seems to be their motto. Not a place I would have ever wanted to have to send my children to. I hope to move soon and put my children in a better school district.

Posted September 29, 2008

As a CHS alumni (c/o '05) I can honestly say that Collierville High was a really great school. I do agree however that it was extremely overcrowded and is probably even worse than it was 3 years ago. Also, the six minutes to get to and from class was never long enough! I was so ready to graduate and never look back but now I am starting to miss those old high school days with clubs, pep rallies, and football games. It may sound crazy guys but enjoy high school while you can.

Posted May 1, 2008

The hallways are way overcrowded. Many of us have 2 choices: 1. Carry multiple (3-4+) books around to each class. or 2. Get to class 1-2 minutes late each day, and get saturday school or iss. We get 6 minutes (I think?) between classes, but it takes most of us at least 3 minutes just to get through ONE hallway, let alone 2 or 3, PLUS the staircases. I don't think we should have more time in the halls, because the problem is the kids that stand in the way, & the kids that walk reallllly slow. I THINK that each class should have their own set of books for the students, so we don't have to carry books to each class. It would be much easier, and less stress getting to our lockers and class.

Posted March 26, 2008

This is one of the best high school in TN. The courses are challenging. I don't know what some of these previous posts are talking about. No talking in hallways? When did you visit? And no recess? We are not in elementary school. Last time I checked, middle school didn't have recess either.

Posted March 5, 2008

Because of the size it offers many different programs for the students. It has the highest number of AP classes in Tennessee. But becuase of it's size some students can get lost in the crowd. If your child can handle the size it is great, but large schools are not for all students.

Posted January 6, 2008

This was the best High School I've ever been to. I really loved all of my teachers and the curriculms.

Posted October 22, 2007

I met with the principal to discuss his mission and value system for the school. I thought we could have some common ground. That didn t happen, He is very opposed to reviewing his Draconian rules. No Physical Education (other than Freshman), Overcrowded halls with too short of time to change class, Saturday school if you are late changing classes. Corporal punishment, No talking in halls and no recess. He thinks that fights will break out all over if people are allowed to talk. He also says that he is not responsible for their social outlet. With such an oppressive environment, something needs to give. Rules for the sake of rules only serve to shut down the growth and spirit of a child. Nancy Smith is a wonderful Algebra II teacher I wish there was a checks and balance system, the kids need a voice.

Posted July 9, 2007

I am an alumni of CHS. I also agree that it has declined in many aspects. Dr. Setterlund, while tough on the rules, was an excellent principal while I was there. He was incredibly friendly and helpful. Unfortunately, my education was not what many experienced. I struggled with Mathematics and Science, and, while repeatedly asking for help, never recieved it until my Senior year. If not for the Theater program and my constant involvement, I would not have a diploma, for I would have dropped out. Overall, it was a good school, just not enough teacher involvement.

Posted May 8, 2007

I am a alumni of Collierville High School. Though, it still is a great school, it has rapidly decreased in some things since I've graduated. The students are great and I actually love how the dress code was recently enforced. Some of the teachers were great but many hated their job and it showed through their laziness and complaining. As for the administration.well it's absolutely horrible. The administration needs to start caring about the school itself more, rather than their own needs, and start cleaning things up that have gone downhill lately (like sports, some teachers, etc.) Also, Collierville needs to prepare students for college better. Overall a good school though.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted April 24, 2007

I am a former student of Collierville and very proud to be so. In fact so proud that I moved back to Collierville so my children could come to Collierville as well. My oldest has already graduated from Collierville and is in college, my youngest is a sophomore and active w/Football and track They also are very proud to be a part of Collierville high school. Dr. Setterland keep up the good work. We are proud of you and this school. I know my children are safe at CHS. Thank You!

Posted December 12, 2006

Collierville High School was once a great school but is rapidly eroding. you WILL not learn unless you take several honors/AP courses. While most teachers are OK, many are apathetic towards their jobs. Administration borders on ridiculousness, enforcing nonsensical, arbitary rules and failing to notify parents of major safety incidents. Other problems: - overcrowded hallways, - maintenance issues, - an abysmal cafeteria, - a poorly-funded school library, - the irrevelance of clubs - Clubs now only meet once a month for 25 minutes. On the positive side, CHS has an excellent theatre department.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 65% in 2013.

415 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 42% in 2013.

428 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 62% in 2013.

463 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 68% in 2013.

509 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

499 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

English III

The state average for English III was 40% in 2013.

304 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 11%N/A55%

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• Access to sports fields

Foreign languages taught
  • French
  • Latin

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options

Arts & music

Performing arts
  • Drama
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1101 North Byhalia Rd