J. R. Baker Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Posted September 10, 2013

J.R. Baker is the best in Columbia. my brother went there both my sons and now my granddaughter. thanks Baker Elementary

Posted August 22, 2013

J.R. Baker is safe clean and the staff work for the betterment of the children's over all education.

Posted April 30, 2013

I have two children who attend J.R. Baker. One of my children attends Pre-K and the other Kindergarden. I have regular communication with the teachers as well as the vice principal. I attend the school parties when I choose, and I enjoy eating lunch with my children at the school. The school allows you and your child different areas inside the lunch room to sit with your child instead of having to sit with the entire class. I also appreciate the lady who works in the office, she has answers for any questions that I have. Thanks.

Posted January 12, 2012

I have two children that have attened Baker ever since Pre- K and this is my oldest childs last year there. I am very satisfied with all the teachers and staff. If one of them ever had a problem their teacher worked extra hard to bring them up where they needed to be. I wish the rest of the schools where just like Baker.

Posted April 6, 2011

My daughter has attended Baker since Kindergarten and I intend for my son to start in Pre K. The teachers are friendly and work really hard to have the children reach their highest achievement level. My third grader was very prepared for this year and is reading at a middle school level. The Principal seems a little unapproachable at times but she is really nice you just have to initiate the conversation because she is not real chit chatty. Being a teacher myself I have the option to have my children attend the school I teach at and I will not move them away from Baker which is their zoned school.

Posted February 24, 2011

I have had 2 children in the pre-k at Baker. I has been a wonderful experience for both. I think it has really given them a head start in school. I am surprised by the other posts about pre-k on here. Yes, there is homework for pre-k students. What a great way to spend time with your child and help them learn about the alphabet. My girls love it, unless that is you don't want to spend the time with your child, then I can see the complaint.

Posted February 22, 2011

I have two children in this school and I will say that this school has some of the most caring teachers I have meet. They are all willing too work with you if you have any questions are concerns. I am satisfied.

Posted February 19, 2011

Baker is a great school for all ages, my child attended the Pre-K program and I was amazed at the transformation I noticed right away. He was very well prepared and ready for Kindergarten by the end of the year.

Posted February 19, 2011

My daughter also attended the Pre-K program and it was the best decision I have ever made. I would not only recommend the Pre-K program to other parents but the school and staff are wonderful as well. I am appalled at what has been written about this school, this site is honoring the school for its merit and people have the audacity to leave negative comments. Great Job Teachers!

Posted July 27, 2010

This school has had some of the best teachers ever, although some of the worst also. I am so glad mine are done with elementary since the principal at Baker is the worst I have ever had to deal wtih. She is rude, hard to approach and always her way. Her teachers are never wrong, very one sided. Used to be Maury Co. best elementary school, don't think it has not been in years, very sad.

Posted July 13, 2010

I think the school is overall a good school. Some of the teachers are questionable though. My children have been going to this school for 2 years and I really haven't found a teacher that I really liked. I take that back there was one. He is a second grade teacher. I guess I just do not agree with how teachers respond to the children. The office staff are really nice. I would have to say that the school is average. It has it's ups and downs just like any other school.

Posted April 27, 2010

I also had a child in the Pre-K program this year and I don't agree with the way they handle things at all. First off, homework for Pre-K? Come on. It was homework for us parents to do. And all these things for my kid to sell, I feel he was far too young to be participating in fundraisers. The teachers never show up on time in the morning, and some of us have to be to work! They also were absent ALOT of the year. Very inconsistent. I am disappointed as I heard that this is suppossed to be the best Pre-K program in Maury County. If this is the best, I would hate to see the worst.

Posted March 17, 2010

I am very upset as a parent at the Pre-K System at Baker and if you are thinking of sending your child there dont do it.

Posted March 13, 2010

Our daughter has attended Baker Elementary since kindergarten and this school has excellent, caring teachers, staff and principal. I am very sad that the school board is forcing the 5th graders to go to middle school next year instead of letting them finish in the elementary schools.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 49% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 84% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Tennessee used the Tennessee Comprehensive Assessment Program (TCAP) Achievement Test to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading/language arts, math, science and social studies. The TCAP is a standards-based test that measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Tennessee. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 56% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 88% in 2013.

46 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 57% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 55% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 87% in 2013.

Writing

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• Other health impairments
  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code

Apply now