Macon-Hall Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 1205 students

Posted April 2, 2014

My Granddaughter has attended Macon Hall Elementary School for 3 years. The principal, vice-principal, counselor, 4th grade teacher and APEX teacher have been excellent. They are very caring and dedicated educators that have the students best interests at heart.

Posted July 31, 2013

I'm all about good schools ,when my husband and I were searching for a home that was top on our list. I'm so pleased that we have 3 children attending Macon hall and we all love it.Everyone is so nice and the school itself is awesome.

Posted April 19, 2013

The only reason I'm giving this school 1 star is because I have to give a rating. I moved to this area and transferred my daughter here based on reviews from friends who have kids enrolled there. WORST MISTAKE EVER! My daughter was being bullied by a classmate and the teacher and staff claimed to be concerned, but never did anything about it. It escalated to my daughter being slapped in the face. LAST STRAW! The students are treated like they are in jail, there were never any field trips and they are made to sit and eat in silence for lunch and are punished if they talk. I had hopes based on the fact that the principal was my elementary school principal, but I think their time has passed and they need to retire. My daughter began failing and acting out of her character and when I fianlly figured out why, I made the decision to move and get her back into her previous school. I have been 100% disappointed in the staff at the school, from the top down. I've heard that this school has drastically changed from previous years. I'm just glad I was able to get her out of there before it was too late. My child has rebounded and is finally back on track since leaving.

Posted January 19, 2013

This school is awesome! My special needs child has thrived at Macon Hall. Their teachers are very caring and the children are great. The only problem I have with this school is the front desk staff, who have somewhat of an attitude, but the principal and vice principals are great,

Posted November 20, 2012

This is my daughter's second year at Macon-Hall. We moved here from overseas, and the teachers have been phenomenal. She is blossoming from a shy girl to one who is gaining confidence and excelling academically. The principal is great, too. She promptly took action when there was a problem with another student last year and is very accessible. The only two negatives I would give is the lunch schedule (due to number of students?) and the attitude of the ladies in the office. They could you some customer service training.

Posted March 12, 2010

We lived in the city and needed to move to the county. I was really nervous because I know that in Cordova, there are so many different schools. So I used this site when we looked at homes to see the school zone at each address and that's how we finally settled into this school and home. I am so very pleased. My daughter is in Kindergarten there and she cries if I make her stay home because she is sick. She just adores her teacher and the entire school. We have been nothing but pleased and they do so much for the kids. Couldn't be happier with our decision.

Posted February 3, 2010

The school has a great principal but some of the teachers arent so great... As a parent hope u get lucky and get a good teacher theres only a hand full the rest of the teachers arent so great

Posted January 29, 2010

I love this school and it is very educating the principle is great and truly knows every child by name
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 22, 2009

We came to Macon hall after an awful experience in another shelby co school, it was the best desicion i have ever made. we went from struggling with bordem and behavior issues as a result of that to her saying 'I cant wait till summer is over so I can go back to school!' my daughter makes principles list every term! and we have gone from phone calls 3x a week to NONE in the whole year! the parents are great and involved! the kids are great, the learning level is amazing! this is a WONDERFUL school! SO HAAPY HERE!

Posted August 10, 2009

Macon Hall is an excellent school. I have 3 children who've been students there and my family loves it. The principal is great and, truly, knows every child by name and can identify the parents and to which child they belong. Excellent instruction from teachers who care about teaching and the child's success. Now, this school does not 'baby' children but let them know their self-worth and cultivates their mind by teaching children to think, reason, and make decisions. As an educator, myself, I value education, delivery, and the culture of the school. Macon Hall is a winner in all 3 categories.

Posted February 7, 2009

My daughter has had the honor to attend Macon-Hall for 6 years. It seems like yesterday when I left her with her Kindergarten teacher.Today, we are in the 5th grade enjoying our remaining days at this wonderful institution. Every year has been filled with creative learning, lasting friendships, and educators that care for the students as if they were their own. My gratitude can never be expressed in words for the well rounded education my daughter has received. I tip my hat to each instructor at Macon-Hall and am grateful for your commitment to our future leaders!

Posted February 3, 2009

Macon-Hall is an awesome school in every way! After having two children attend Macon-Hall, I can honestly say that you could not find a better education for your child. The teachers are dedicated professionals who truly know how to teach every child. They are warm and nurturing. They have high expectations for all students, but work hard to meet all the individual learning styles and needs of so many students. The entire staff at Macon-Hall is involved in each child's total education, and the principal, amazingly, knows every child in the school. I would unequivocally recommend this school for anyone living in this area.

Posted February 2, 2009

Macon-Hall is a great school! I was stunned by the remarks of the last review. My daughter attended Macon-Hall Kindergarten through 5 grade, we were extremely pleased with the education she received. The administrators and teachers are very professional and tend to the students on their individual needs. If you take a moment to look at their test scores you will see that the teachers are very dedicated and want to see each child succeed. I think that the other reviews are true statements of Macon-Hall.

Posted January 16, 2009

I am concerned that all students in this school are not treated fairly in this environment. Administrators aren't genuine and mask some of the real issues in the school. The teachers all look like they are going to happy hour. I think the dress code should be modified.

Posted June 23, 2008

This is a great school! I had two children to attend there, and we all were very pleased Mrs. Chambers 5th and Mrs. Robinson 2nd are great!

Posted May 28, 2008

Macon-Hall Elementary is an excellent institution. My daughter just completed first grade there and has had Mrs. Jaime Ross as her teacher. My husband and I appreciate and are quite pleased with her teaching style and the success of our daughter. We hope that she has the same great success throughout her entire academic career. She will definitely be well prepared for college, medical school, and beyond!

Posted March 26, 2008

I have had two children to attend Macon Hall. One child had to transfer to Chimney Rock due to rezoning. That school did not compare to Macon Hall. Macon Hall has a wonderful pricipal who know the name of every child, dedicated teachers who aren't afraid to challenge their students, great parent involvement. Although it is a large school, all of the children seem to know and respect each other. I would recommend Macon Hall over any other elementary school in this area!

Posted July 13, 2007

Excellent school. super principal, willing to help every student achieve. Excellent PTA program.

Posted June 10, 2007

I have 3 children that attended this school only one now, but the teachers, and staff are excellent. They are all involved in the learning of the children and I would not recommend any other school other than this one for my child. If your child has special needs it is an even better school my child got everything he needed by attending her for a child with special needs

Posted August 30, 2006

Our daughter has loved her time at Macon-Hall. As a parent it wonderful to know that your child is getting excellence academic instruction, strong social guidance and personal attention. The administration and staff are fantastic! It's a big, busy place, but somehow they've managed to keep it personal and give every child the attention they deserve. Thanks for doing a touch job so well!

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 49% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 84% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Tennessee used the Tennessee Comprehensive Assessment Program (TCAP) Achievement Test to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading/language arts, math, science and social studies. The TCAP is a standards-based test that measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Tennessee. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 56% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 57% in 2013.

189 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 55% in 2013.

190 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2013.

189 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 87% in 2013.

190 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 7% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 41%N/A55%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

9800 Macon Rd