Bad
Good

This is our 4th year at CES and we really love it. The teachers have been amazing and the principals responsive to any concern. The PTA tries diligently to get parents involved...that would be my only wish, more consistent parental involvement (though I think that goes beyond just this school and is a universal concern).

Cordova Elementary School is a safe, nurturing, and academically stimulating environment for students. This is my son's first year at Cordova, and we love it. His teacher is wonderful. The optional program and CLUE program keep him busy and challenged. The students are well-behaved. The school principals are very visible and easy to talk to. They put the safety and academic achievement of each child first. I feel safe knowing that my son is there. It is truly a hidden treasure in the Shelby County School system.

My children attended Cordova for one full year and a partial second. Initially it's status as an Optional School sounded promising, though it certainly proved to be less than pleasing. The school environment is very bland. Unimaginative. The teachers seem as lack-luster as the office staff (who frequently look bored). They've embraced Common Core without doing an efficient job at applying it. They assign copious amounts of homework for the low grades and deduct points when it isn't completed properly (though they do a poor job explaining what should be done). There was nothing warm, exciting or proactie about the environment. We were happy to find a better option for our children. I don't recommend this school unless rigorous academics and authoritative teaching is your style.

The fourth grade teachers are so unorganized with their teaching method. I was confused within the first 10 minutes of sitting in on one of the classes. I don't know how in the world the children learn at all.

Both my boys have been in CES since Kindergarten. We love it there. Great parent involvement and supportive PTA.

I love Cordova Elementary! I have a kindergartener and a 4th grader, my children are getting an A++ education! The teachers and staff are fantastic and Mrs. Avanzi is the best principal in SCS. There are many great and exciting things happening at CES!!

I love Cordova Elementary! I have had at least one child in CES since 2005 and the school just gets better every year. Mrs. Avanzi is committed to making CES the best school in Shelby County. She hires nothing but the BEST when it comes to teachers and staff. I know the teachers and administration care about the success of each student that walks through the doors of Cordova Elementary School.

Unorganized. Blame focused. There is no accountability. It's always someone else's fault. Just fix the problems.

I have two children at this school because of the optional program. They offer advanced academics which has provided a challenging curriculum for the students. I think the strength is the strong, positive leadership of the principal, Mrs. Avanzi. Overall, it has been a positive experience. I have found the staff to be responsive and open to involving the parents. I regret that budget cuts in recent years have taken away Spanish classes and some support staff.

Just read the latest review stating this site is being monitored. This is probably true because a crazed control freak runs this school. Ask yourself this: How well do I really know the principal and teachers? I agree, the Kindergarten teachers are great at Cordova, however, the upper grades - not so great. Make a surprise visit, you'll see.

Last modified Cordova Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.