Dexter Elementary School

Public | PK-4

Posted January 16, 2014

My daughter attended this school for kindergarten, 1st grade and part of second grade. We moved and I wish we could have taken the school with us. The principal really cares and encourages parent involvement. The teachers are really involved and are easily accessible to the parents. It is a well cared for school and it is in a safe and family friendly area.

Posted May 21, 2011

My son went to this school... we have now sadly moved away but this school had such a positive impact on my son and myself. The staff is awesome and are so caring. His teacher was Mrs. Crossett and she is so awesome and caring and such a wonderful teacher. I wish we could have relocated her with us and for every grade :D lol. The principle and entire staff just care and you know and feel it. I give this school an A+++ no matter what other people may say.

Posted May 23, 2010

One of the best public schools at Cordova, TN. My daughter is in this school for past 3 years and she has gained a lot from this school. Teachers are very friendly and identifies talent of students in all areas.

Posted December 11, 2009

My daughter is in Kindergarten here this year, and so far it has been great. She has an awesome teacher and she loves everything about Dexter and I do too.

Posted August 21, 2009

My daughter has started Kindergarten at Dexter Elmentary School and I love it. The staff is very nice and I look forward to her becoming the best that she can be.

Posted April 29, 2009

My son has been in Dexter Elm. since Kindergarten and we have loved everything about it! The school and staff are welcoming and warm and treat the children as if they were thier own. I highly recommend this school and have been very happy with all aspects since he started attending.

Posted February 2, 2009

My daughter is in the first grade and just loves her school and her teacher. I could not imagine having a better teacher than she has this year anywhere else. I have also dealt with the principal, who always has responded to my concerns quickly, thoroughly, and to my satisfaction.

Posted September 20, 2008

I love Dexter Elementary! The staff and teachers are awesome. I have 2 children who attend and I love the school.

Posted September 13, 2008

My son has attended Dexter Elementary for 2 years now. I am very pleased with the staff and regulations that they have there. I am new to having a child in school, so needless to say I have high expectations of the school my child attends. So far everything has been great!

Posted February 17, 2008

All of my children have attended Dexter Elementary and their lives are better for it. It is a big school with lots of children but it is run by one of the best principals I have ever come in contact with. She has high expectations from her teachers, staff, and students; and they all do their best to meet those expectations. My children have had some of the best teachers--caring, competent, and dedicated to their jobs. While no school is perfect, I believe you will get out of the experience what you and your child put into it. It is a relationship between the school and the parents. Dexter has much to offer our kids and our community...

Posted November 16, 2007

I think Dexter is a great school. I appreciate the way it is run and I think the teachers are great! I have been active and I think the principal does what is necessary in order to keep almost 1000 children in a safe environment where they are actively lear

Posted November 16, 2007

Dexter is a wonderful school! The teachers are great and the curriculum is challenging. The PTA is very active, however, more parents could be involved. The atmosphere is very structured and strict, but it is only for the safety of the children. I would rather have an unfriendly principal that knows how to run a safe enviroment than a friendly one that would put my children's safety in jeopardy.

Posted November 14, 2007

I am a parent of a kindergartner at dexter, I am not pleased with the school at all, no friendly atmosphere, not inviting. Communicattion with parents and teacher very poor.

Posted July 25, 2007

My son went to Dexter 06-07 year. I was unimpressed with his and my first school experience. He had to change teachers after 2 weeks.(Which I was happy about as she was very rude to the students and me)The teacher he went to was no better. As far as the principal, she had no care about my concerns or complaints. he is going to a different school this year.

Posted July 2, 2007

I have two children that go to Dexter elementary. One has graduated to fifth grade. She went K-4. I have been pleased with Dexter all of their academic lives at Dexter. My children have had some fantastic teachers. The office staff and the principal have been great as well. Kristin M.

Posted June 8, 2007

My daughter attended school 2006-2007 school year, but will not be going back next school term. This is a great school, but the principal has some major issues. The school board needs to evaluate her duties and look into allegations of all parents. Ms. Davidson is not friendly and has no family roles assuming she has no kids and etc. Good luck to the teachers and parents. Be prepared for the long haul !! Valarie Wilson

Posted May 19, 2007

My daughter was in Kindergarten at Dexter during the 2006-2007 school year. Her teacher was terrific and had wonderful communication with the parents. The school is also very 'family friendly' and I spent numerous days eating lunch with her and getting to know her classmates. I enjoyed all the school activities and the Watch DOG program they have is great, especially for children that don't have a father at home. I am also very pleased with her academic experience at Dexter. The kindergarten program is wonderful and they do a great job at making learning fun. The principal is also very helpful and has not been rude in my experience with her. I know Dexter isn't perfect but I think they provide a wonderful environment for learning.

Posted January 19, 2007

I have been very disappointed with my daughter's teacher. I would expect that a learning environment would be more inviting. I am quite disappointed. We are changing schools in one month.

Posted September 18, 2006

This is my sons first year at dexter. I love his teacher she's great now on the other hand the principal and the office staff are cold to the children she runs the school like a prison and don't understand that we are the parents and they are our children not prisoners.

Posted September 18, 2006

I have 2 in Elementary and 1 in Middle. I am very impressed with the Elementary. This is our first year here, so I don't know about all of the programs or teachers, but my second grader has an amazing teacher. My fourth grader also has 2 good teachers. There seems to be a very active PTA program from what I could tell from the first meeting. I was worried when we moved here from MS. I had heard horror stories that pretty much all of the Memphis and surrounding area public schools were to be avoided at all cost. That does not seem to be true of Dexter. I just hope that it continues to remain a county school. They have a good reading program in place, and I look forward to learning more about the other academic and the extracurricular programs.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 49% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 84% in 2013.

n/a
Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Tennessee used the Tennessee Comprehensive Assessment Program (TCAP) Achievement Test to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading/language arts, math, science and social studies. The TCAP is a standards-based test that measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Tennessee. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 56% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 88% in 2013.

n/a

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 57%N/A55%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

7105 Dexter Rd