Crossville, TN

Homestead Elementary School 5

Posted July 28, 2014
Homestead is the best school in the county. The staff is great, and they have a great program overall. I was a student there myself for 7 years in the 80's. My daughter is currently a student there, and has been going there for 8 years. We have had very few problems there, and most of them were resolved very quickly. They have the best elementary school band program in the county, and they have a great football program. Robin Perry is a great principal. I'm surprised by the number of negative comments on here. One bad experience does not reflect on everyone.

Homestead Elementary School 1

Posted June 25, 2014
What is up with the clear and obvious cliques among Homestead's teachers? The teachers are too focused on the gossip and fitting in with one another that it's creating an unhealthy learning environment for the kids. It's catty and pathetic. One thing is for sure, my child is not going to Homestead.

Posted January 19, 2011
Robin Perry is one of the absolute WORST principals ever. She doesn't like the kids, the teachers, or the parents. I really have no idea how she keeps her job.... I guess Central Office just doesn't want to know. Kids are not motivated to be there or to do their best and it is clear that they are miserable. It is a sad place to be. Ms. Perry HAS to be in control of everything --- can you say insecure? The teachers have just given up because nothing changes. Get her out of there and you may salvage the school.

Posted September 29, 2009
I love the school, beautiful. The teachers and staff are great. The principal is wonderful also. My son has learned so much in just the first 6 weeks of school. So glad I decided to take him to Homestead

Posted August 03, 2009
We relocated from another city and bought a home zoned for HES. After speaking to numerous sources I knew which school I wanted my children in. I haven't been disappointed yet and we have ben here for three years now. I am now volunteering with the AR program and I see the day to day interactions between the teachers and the students. 98% of the teachers are doing an excellent job! And with any job you will have a couple of personalities that aren't what they should be. This school sets a high standard for education and any contact I have had with Mrs. Perry has been nothing but professional and goal oriented. She had a mess to clean up and I think the school has been so much better the last three years!! Its my fellow parents who aren't accustomed to change that continue to be the problem.

Posted November 04, 2008
The academics may be good but the environment is horrible, especially under the leadership of the principal Robin Perry. The school is not at all what it used to be. I would venture to say academics will begin to suffer in a few years under the current leadership and with good teachers and kids leaving. My advice: RUN. Do not put your child in this school.

Posted March 17, 2008
I think if more parents knew what went on in this school that they would not have the rating they have. There is bulling going on and some kind of fight everyday there. Open your eyes people and start investigating...

Homestead Elementary School 3

Posted July 24, 2007
Overall, this is one of the better schools in the county. However, schools in this area are hampered by too much emphasis on student test scores such as the TCAP. It seems that education stops in late April when the TCAP is completed. From then on, it is mostly field trips or reward trips. If this follows through for children in all grades, then by the end of the 8th grade, our children would have missed an entire year of education! I would prefer that Cumberland County undergo a paradigm shift and adopt what most school systems have adopted: a K-5, 6-8, and 9-12 based school system. Also, get away from merely teaching a test and teach children how to read, perform mathematical operations, and develop a more rigorous scientific curriculum.

Homestead Elementary School 5

Posted July 24, 2007
HES is awesome. All teachers push excellence, but are also willing to go the extra mile to see that their students get there. Staff is hard working, friendly, and motivating. I am thankful that my child gets to attend HES!

Homestead Elementary School 4

Posted October 05, 2006
Every school can always improve,however under the watch of Mrs.Aarona VanWinkle this school just keeps getting better and better.Some of the best educators in the state work here. Much welcomed parental involvment and volunteers, boosters and PTO. Something for everyone where extracurricular activities are concerned. Debate teams, 4-H, Beta, FCA, yearbook staff, student council and class representives,band, Art club, football,tennis,basketball,track and cross-country, Chess team, softball,volleyball,and the list goes on. The new greenhouse,science lab, computer lab, and library are just waiting for the new clubs to get going very soon.Teachers work great together and encourage everyone to get involved. After school and morning tutoring and peer mediators. Kids helping each other teaches many things you can't get in a book. If Homestead isn't one of the best it will be with Mrs.VanWinkle caring for the students.

3889 U.S. 127, Crossville, TN  38572
Last modified Homestead Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Homestead Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top