Drummonds Elementary School

Public | PK-5

In the know: Get our expert advice on schools

No articles are available

Posted May 31, 2014

Wonderful teachers. Unfortunately my son was only there half of 4th and all of 5th grade. I wish we had moved to Drummonds sooner! The teachers were always understanding and helpful. My son had a very bad experience at his previous school and was afraid of starting a new school. He ended up wishing he could stay there longer! He loved the school and the teachers. I highly recommend this school to anyone looking for a good solid education for your child and a staff that is always willing to support your child.

Posted October 15, 2013

We absolutely love Drummonds. We moved here from Virginia and made it a point to live in Tipton County instead of Shelby County. We have been very pleased with the school. The administration is great, they great my daughter by name every day. We are relocating soon and will be very sad to leave this school. It is the perfect example of a community school that cares about the students and the quality of education and enrichment they receive. I also love that they welcome volunteers with open arms.

Posted August 23, 2012

I have 3 sons that have attended Drummonds elem and I find it to be way above any school in Tn. They need help with getting books for the kids to be able to do the AR program, but otherwise They are great!

Posted July 10, 2012

Beware of a teacher that use to teach 3rd gr. I think she's teaching 4th now. She's young and doesn't have any children. I'd let everyone know her name, but I'm not allowed to post names on this review. She's strict, but too strict. She punished our child for something that was a total misunderstanding. We weren't happy about the punishment, but it really wasn't a big deal. If her teacher had stopped after the 1st punishment, all would have turned out fine. She continued to punish our child by various means throughout the day. I have to add that our child is very pleasant, kind, and has always treated others well. So for our child to endure almost a full days worth of punishments for a minor issue, well I have to say, we weren't pleased. The final punishment: getting our child alone in a darkened classroom, slamming her hand on our child's desk, and saying something like "I'll show you MEAN!" This crazed teacher said this with such force our child cried a little and worst of all, urinated on herself. Beware and please look for any signs your child may be showing. The signs were there, but we were foolish and didn't realize the severity of the day to day problems.

Posted November 11, 2011

I have had 3 children at this school. LOVE IT!! :) The teachers do an amazing job. They do not just try to "teach the test", they actually care that the children learn and are interested in learning. They go out of their way to help the children if they are struggling in any subject. 5 *'s to all of the amaizing, wonderful, dedicated, hardworking teachers & principals!

Posted November 10, 2011

If you are a parent, you should fight to get your 5th grader in Mrs. Dillards class. She is an amazing teacher. In my years I have met good and bad teachers. Mrs. Dillard and Mrs. Elam are examples of what a teacher should be. Thank you Mrs. Dillard for being there for my kids when I couldn't be. As long as Drummonds had you, children get the best education possible in 5th grade. Other parents should ask for Dillard by name!!!

Posted September 30, 2010

The principal, Mrs. Mills is absolutely amazing. Most of the teachers are also amazing. However, when there is a problem with a student/teacher situation, it never gets fixed. They have the WORST and laziest teacher's aides in the kindergarten classes. MY oldest son has been in this school for 2 years, and my youngest son is now in Kindergarten. Mrs. Peggy is the BEST teacher I could have ever had to teach my son. Having an aide like Mallory completely brings down the entire school. She has no love for her job and it shows through daily. I thought this year would be better for her since she was pregnant last year, but it is definitely not the case. She is unwelcoming and terrible with children. I am surprised that someone like Mrs. Mills would allow such carelessness of a job be in this school.

Posted May 26, 2009

I have been very pleased with this school. We moved here 7 years ago from the Millington area. When I went to check out the shelby county schools there was no way I could send my child there. I'm very happy with our move and believe it was the best thing I could have done for both of my children. Drummonds Elem. has given my children so much and I believe their doing an excellent job. I also give extra stars to Ms. Judy Stigall, she has made a Huge impression on my oldest son which struggeled with a learning disability.

Posted April 11, 2009

I love the interaction between the students, teachers, parents, and all staff members. It is a friendly open place for a child to grow up in. New activities are being introduced on a regular basis. The playgrounds have been updated in the last few years through fund raisers and will be there for many years to come for the future students. My son's education has been the priority of his teachers and he has also been offered supplemental programs to keep him from being bored as he shows an increased intellectual level. I never worry about his safety and the before and after school program are a godsend for a working mother. I will be sorry when he leaves there after 5th grade.

Posted March 31, 2009

This is the fourth year my student has been at DES. In my opinion this school is above standards in all areas except the library. The library needs some major money put into it. My student is in the AR program, which I stand behind 100%, but some of the books she has brought home are in desperate shape. I have also personally visited the library and have not been impressed at all.

Posted January 13, 2009

I have been very pleased with Drummonds Elem. My son is in the 3rd grade and he loves it.

Posted September 9, 2008

This has been a Wonderful School for my children, they love the teachers and staff and I think they are GREAT!

Posted March 25, 2008

I am not very pleased with the school they have no extra help for children that are struggling in classes for certain grades and also I feel like they don't give the children the challenge they need. And also I sometimes have to question the capabilities of the teachers. I am not sure where they get some of the teachers from that they have teaching at thast school, I am so thankful that my kids will be transfering to a new school.

Posted October 2, 2007

This is our first year at this school and we absolutely love it.

Posted September 28, 2007

Drummonds is the 'Bomb'.... pre-k through 5th All 3 of my kids went to this school, loved all of the teachers, learned all they could, had lots of help from great 'people', not just 'teachers'. They are 27 & 28 twins.... I am now raising a grandson 9 years old, he loves Drummonds...... Still, Great People, from top to bottom, Ms. Mills, Ms. Judy, Great Job....

Posted May 24, 2007

Drummonds Elementary is wonderful! They really focus on improving each individual student. They provide a reading and math lab not only for remedial students, but for enrichment students as well. The teachers truly care about the students. My child is made to feel special about herself. She gets up in the morning ready to go. I couldn't be any happier with Drummonds Elementary.

Posted August 17, 2006

We just moved here from Texas and i hate to say but i am very disappointed in this school. I really thought we were getting a really good school. My child is in 5th grade and the work they are doing is things she did in 3rd grade, to me there is no challenge. They sent out fundraiser information to let us know they need new playground equipment, but i found out they have nothing for there P.E. class and the library needed some major improvements.

Posted July 10, 2005

This is most definetly the best school in TN or America. I am not a parent but a former student. The best years of my life was in that school. The teachers are great. Mrs. Wingo is the best librarian there ever was, she helps you understand reading were you want to read all day. She was also my friend. Mr. Atkins is the best Science, Math, and S.S. teacher there ever was. He makes learing fun just like Mrs. Wingo. Drummonds Elementary School teachers take the time to learn your son/daughter's name and needs. This is by far the best Elementary school in the world.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted June 25, 2005

Drummonds elem. is a wonderful scool. all 3 of my children went to drummonds. the teachers, they are great. they real care about their students. there is a lot of parent involvement. there are parents that come in and read to students,they help teachers and anything else that needs to be done.drummonds has an art club and scince club. if you are thinking about moving to drummonds and send your children to drummonds elm. you won't be disapponted.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 49% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 84% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Tennessee used the Tennessee Comprehensive Assessment Program (TCAP) Achievement Test to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading/language arts, math, science and social studies. The TCAP is a standards-based test that measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Tennessee. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 56% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 88% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 57% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 55% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 87% in 2013.

Writing

Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 65%N/A55%

Fax number
  • (901) 837-5799

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

5068 Drummonds Rd