Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted January 18, 2016
My son comes home quite often with a good amount of homework. Most of the time he doesn't even know how to do it. It all seems new to him, which makes me think the teachers aren't spending an adequate amount of time with the students on a new subject. Maybe more one on one time is required, or possibly a different strategy.

Develops honesty: Agree

Posted January 18, 2016
My son has been treated well by the staff at Unaka. They seem engaged in their students and really want to help them succeed.

Unaka Elementary School 3

Posted January 18, 2016
My son is in 4th grade at Unaka and has been going since kindergarten. I really don't have many complaints, but the reason I gave it a 3 star rating is that there is no music class. It is proven that a child exposed at an early age to music will enhance the quality of life including health, wellness, education, creativity, and emotional expression. Kids need to let loose and express themselves emotionally and creatively to help them grow into an adult. I'll be honest and say my son dislikes school very much. I think it would be the same at any school that lacks the arts. When I went to elementary school we had art everyday, music class everyday, and a play at least once a year. I liked school and I believe a big part of that was getting to express myself through the arts and getting a break from schoolwork. Fitting music and art and P.E. in between science, math, English, etc. Helped give my brain a break, so to speak. So I very much hope that all who care will speak out so that music can once again be a part of our children's lives. It is more important than they think, especially at this period of time in their lives.

Unaka Elementary School 5

Posted April 27, 2010
I find the school very much involved with the student and the learning process. Very much willing to go the extra mile for the student.

Unaka Elementary School 5

Posted September 01, 2006
I know this year has just begun but I am so impressed! My Daughter has just started kindergarten and we both are very happy. Her teacher has really kept me informed about how she is doing and really seems to love the children. I had a choice between two schools to send her and I am so glad (so far) I chose Unaka. My daughter loves learning at this school and is always excited to go. The only downfall that I can see is they do not have music class. I feel this is so very important. I learned all the basic fundamentals about music when I was in elementary school. I also remember looking forward to the days we had music class. I hope this will change so my daughter will have the chance to experience the joy of learning about music. Thank You Unaka!

120 Unaka Drive, Elizabethton, TN  37643
Last modified Unaka Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.