Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Too much (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (2 responses)

Fairview High School 2

Posted August 10, 2016
We moved to Fairview because we had heard rave reviews about Williamson County Schools. Unfortunately, we had a horrible experience with FHS and ended up pulling our child out half way through the freshman year. Our issue was with the Guidance department. Our child was struggling with the teaching methods of one of the teachers and we requested a class change. Our guidance counselor said absolutely under no circumstances would they allow a class change. But not to worry "If your child gets 3 more points they'll be passing!" When I said that D's were not acceptable, I was told that my expectations for my child were too high. Too high! Yes, I was actually told that D's were acceptable and would graduate, if our child could just get D's. Um... what? The conversation then went on to where I was describing to the counselor about a conversation I had with another mother. She told me her son did credit recovery every year for math and English. He couldn't spell and could barely do math. The counselor then told me that if it wasn't for credit recovery, that child would not be graduating. And my response was that perhaps if a child can't spell and can barely do math, they shouldn't be graduating! The facebook group for my child's graduating year was full of parents who constantly complained about the amount of homework a child was given. It wasn't uncommon for an honor's child to spend all day at school, come home and do homework until 1am and all weekend long. One parent logged her child's hours and found her child to be putting in 80-90 hours of study a week (including school). There is no reason for this to even begin to be acceptable. We pulled our child out and are exploring other options. Our youngest child is scheduled to attend FHS next year, and he will be attending private school. We love Fairview, but if you are moving here for the schools, I'd really investigate before taking for granted that all Williamson County Schools are the same. All of the parents we run into have the same struggles and complaints about the school, but you can't get past guidance to talk to the administration. Our counselor flat told us that we would not be allowed to talk with administration because the school policy would not allow it. If you are looking for a great high school... I strongly suggest you look around before accepting that all Williamson County schools are alike.

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted August 10, 2016
I liked my child's teachers. Unfortunately, out of 6 classes my child had, 4 of teachers were absent more than 50% of the time. Several had health or family issues, one quit or was fired the first week of school and it took a whole quarter to find a replacement. My child struggled to get any continuity in the classroom.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted August 10, 2016
Way too much. High school is supposed to be about learning to become an adult by balancing school, work, family and social lives. There is so much homework given that the predominant amount of time of a students life is given to homework.

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted August 10, 2016
No, the only persistence or determination I saw at FHS was that Guidance was determined to not help my child.

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted August 10, 2016
My student felt like if you weren't on the football team, you didn't get any respect from the school. I'll have to agree with this one. Go to the Fairview facebook page and all anyone wants to talk about at the high school level is football, football, and more football. Great if you're a football player, not so much if you are any other type of student. It's hard to develop respect in your students when you aren't getting it.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted August 10, 2016
When Guidance isn't willing to help a child succeed, the child feels like no one cares about them. We watched our A/B happy student, turn into a D/F, couldn't care less student at FHS.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted August 10, 2016
Any school that isn't willing to help a child succeed, in my opinion, isn't helping develop fairness in it's students. How fair is it to be placed in an advanced class without parent/child consent, and then not allow the student to be removed from the class and placed in a more appropriate class?

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted February 11, 2016
So much work, many students are just giving up. (more words added here so i can submit)

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted February 11, 2016
Homework load and unreasonable grading practices does not demonstrate fairness to students. (added more words so website would accept this review, although not needed, the sentence above says it all)

Fairview High School 2

Posted February 11, 2016
Honestly, if I knew this school was like this, I would have never moved to Fairview. They are bent on raising test scores and they think they can do it by assigning an insane amount of homework (especially honors courses). Do your kid a favor and avoid this school, or at least keep him or her out of honors courses at all costs. I wish the administration would read the studies showing excessive homework actually does the opposite of what they are trying to achieve. Although I suspect there is a serious disconnect between the administration (also some of the teachers) AND how long it takes students to do their homework.

2595 Fairview Boulevard West, Fairview, TN  37062
Last modified Fairview High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.