Franklin, TN

Grassland Middle School 1

Posted November 08, 2014
I had two children attend Grassland Middle school in Williamson County (2006 - 2014). Our experience was very disappointing. My children were not challenged academically. I even called the principle to discuss ways my children could be challenged and received a call that the assistant principle would be in touch. I am still waiting for the call. My children never had home work and made great grades without studying. The only positive I can take away from our experience is Grassland is zoned for Franklin high School. My child is now is AP and honors and is being challenged . I would not recommend Grassland Middle for parents moving to Williamson County. Poor teachers and the Administration does not have your child best interest and avoids talking to parents.

Grassland Middle School 4

Posted August 01, 2014
Grassland Middle overall is a phenomenal school. I was in 6th grade last year and I had terrific teachers. I've heard from the kids in 7th and 8th say the teachers aren't great. The schools dress code is a little ridiculous. One of the only problems at the school is that there's no recess which kids need at my age.P.E is good but you don't have it all year and some kids don't even have at anytime I'm the year! There are tons of sports and other activities for the kids.The bus routes need to be changed there so overcrowded! Overall grassland is a great school! GO GENERALS!!!

Posted May 27, 2014
This is a phenomenal school, with an excellent academic and athletic program. Coming from a highly rated private school in our former town, I would rank GMS as equivalent or better in many regards. The teachers care, and the parents are highly involved.

Posted June 04, 2013
My son just finished 8th grade after three great years at Grassland Middle School. With only one exception, the teachers were wonderful. My only complaint is the lack of recess where kids can be kids, blow off steam and expend some pent up energy.

Grassland Middle School 1

Posted March 19, 2013
My son views GMS as a prison because: teachers won't let them use the restrooms except during class switches. However if they are late to class they will get "strikes" which can add up to a detention. So nobody uses the restrooms all day. They can't sit where they want during lunch and have no recess. Thus, they have no way to socially mingle with their friends. They get no physical education if they participate in band, and if they are not in band, they only get 1/4 of the school year with physical ed if lucky. They actually count the time it takes to switch classes and claim that this meets their state physical education requirement. 12-13 year old boys could use some exercise to break up the day but they don't get it. Some teachers are nice, but many are callous and try to break these kids spirits. As a parent, I would add: There is very little critical thinking and hardly any writing that is truly evaluated. It is all rote learning for the tcap and uninspiring. My husband and I each have advanced degrees and place a priority on education, but this brute force method is not the way to instill a love of learning, quite the contrary.

Posted June 26, 2012
I LOVE grassland so much. its an amazing school. i was on the orange team last year and each teacher was my favorite one! the staff and so nice and works really hard! i would definitley recommend grassland to any person!

Grassland Middle School 0

Posted October 23, 2009
I am currently in Eighth grade. Sixth Grade was amzing. We had alot of fun field trips. 7th grade was descent. I had ine teacher that totally ruined my 7th grade life. Other than that 7th grade was okay. 8th grade right now is okay. GMS has been messing around alot with programs. We have a bully program which is okay but its the same lesson over and over again. They fid 'creative' way to make us think we learning new stuff. We also have the formative and summative thing. It's really confusing. And being proficient and non proficient. And If u do a retake on a tests you cant make an A. The bus routes are bad. The buses are crowded with students. We need more buses. Trer are alot of after school activities. We have many sports available for sport lovers. To be continued

Grassland Middle School 3

Posted July 27, 2009
well this school is filled with mostky great people and pretty good teachers. i was on the green team last year as a student. although the teachers were tough on us they prepared us for a lot and i thank them for that. i did have a few problems with one teacher who i didnt like as much, but other then that my year was great. our school is pretty good except for our lazy principle, and favorite playing related arts teachers and normal teachers for that matter.

Grassland Middle School 0

Posted July 19, 2009
6th grade was great! All the teachers were so friendly and really seemed to understand that we were all nervous about starting middle school and they were really supportive of all of us. 7th grade, however, was not as good. The teachers seemed as though they were being forced to teach us and didn't enjoy working with children. The curriculum was not very well taught and the subjects we were studying seemed to be far more advanced than 7th grade. The older you get in this school, the worse the teachers get. I don't appreciate the food. The principal doesn't like change and tends to hide from controversy. My son just finished 6th grade (great teachers, grey team). My son was in the school's 'gifted' program that the principal does not support and doesn't let the gifted teacher run the program properly. The bus transportation to/from school is below average. Where

Posted December 19, 2008
My son and my daughter attend GMS and it's a great school. The extracurricular activities offered are amazing. The teachers really care about their students and the communication with parents is far better than our elementary school experience. They have a tremendous amount of information available to the students and parents online. Every textbook, assignment, grade, etc. are available online. They also really welcome parent involvement at GMS, which surprised me. I'd always heard that parents were never involved once children reached middle school age. With a public school like this, who needs private?

Grassland Middle School
2390 Old Hillsboro Road, Franklin, TN  37064
Last modified Grassland Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Grassland Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top