Gallatin, TN

Posted February 27, 2015
My two sons are currently in first and fourth grade at Sumner Academy. We transferred in last year and couldn t be happier with our choice. My kids are excited to go to school most days and miss it during their breaks. The teachers are passionate, communicative, and supportive of my children, and their genuine affection is obvious to both my kids and myself. They manage to combine a rigorous academic pace with support and fun, which creates a challenging but not overly stressful experience for the students. My kids enjoy the many hands-on projects, learning games, and small rewards for individual and class accomplishments. P.E. everyday is a big plus for me, as are the brief walks outside between classes to stretch the legs, relax the mind, and chat with friends. My younger son is very physically active with an exuberant yet sensitive personality, while my older son is more reserved and cautious in new situations. The teachers and staff truly value each of my children s strengths and personalities, and support them in their differing academic and social styles. Both boys are thriving at Sumner Academy, which means my search for the right school for our family is done.

Posted February 25, 2015
When it came time to decide where to send our child, we talked to several people in our community, including our pediatrician and parents from a variety of other schools. We toured Sumner Academy and decided it was the place for us. After three years, we couldn't be more pleased with our decision. In addition to top notch academics, the school emphasizes character development, and creates leaders. Children in early grades are instilled with confidence that they will succeed in the rigorous years to follow. Most importantly, we know that our child is given the individual attention he needs. The quality and caring of the teachers is the thing that can't be quantified and is by far the school's best attribute.

Posted June 08, 2013
I have a grandchild who has just completed pre-K at Sumner Academy. Both as a grandparent and as a PhD psychologist with a special interest in human development, I cannot recommend Sumner Academy more highly. This school really understands what children need if they are to develop a love of learning and perform their best. It provides a safe and supportive environment and plenty of breaks for physical activity to refresh the mind and consolidate memory. The children actually move from classroom to classroom daily for changes in subject with chatting allowed. The teachers love their work and are enthusiastic about their particular subject. Classes are small with ample time for individualized instruction. Even the pre-K kids have multiple field trips and once a week classes in Spanish, music, art, and computer. All together, Sumner Academy is like a hidden jewel in our midst--a significant community asset and a gold-star academic resource.

Posted March 07, 2013
We transfered this year and absolutely love it. The curriculum is individualized to meet each of my 3 children's learning style. The teachers are very responsive and supportive. I wish I'd found it earlier.

Posted February 04, 2013
Both of my children attending Sumner Academy. Not only has it taught them to be prepared academically, it helped instill hard work and constant preparation. The school provides a safe environment for learning, where it is "cool" to be smart. It encourages good moral character and service to others. Both of my children have been prepared to earn AP credits at a private high school, and earn degrees at their respective universities. Sumner Academy provided a firm foundation for their success. It is evident that the success of my children is due to the guidance and love from the staff at Sumner Academy. A truly great school!

Posted January 30, 2013
I have had two children graduate from Sumner Academy and have one that is still enrolled. My wife and I could not be more in love with this school, the culture is incredibly supportive and caring, the teachers are incredible, and the academic curriculum is outstanding. My career has forced us to move many times, so we have unfortunately had the opportunity to enroll our children at numerous schools. Sumner Academy is by far our favorite school for every member of our family. My daughter is now a senior and applying to colleges. Sumner Academy prepared her to excel in literally every AP course her high school offers. She is graduating near the top of her class and has already been accepted to Ivy level schools. The day after school let out this past summer, our 5th grader came into our bedroom and announced that he really missed school already. I assumed that he meant that he missed his classmates, but he corrected me saying, "I'll see them over the summer, I really miss my teachers. I want to start 5th grade right away, but with the same teachers I had this year." That about sums it up for me.

Posted January 29, 2013
Our child has attended Sumner Academy for 4 years after spending 3 years in public school. We were in what is considered a very good public school but honestly there is no comparison to the atmosphere at Sumner Academy. The teachers truly want to be here and it shows in everything they do. There is a great sense of "community" at this school. It's the best decision we ever made for our child and our only regret is that we didn't come sooner. We highly recommend this school.

Posted January 29, 2013
Several years ago I had the joy of attending my former Sumner Academy daughter's graduation for her second degree from MIT. What a wonderful surprise when also graduating that day was another Sumner Academy student! Both were girls graduating from a college where technical courses dominate. My daughter consistently says that two things prepared her for the high expectations of MIT. One is Sumner Academy and the other is high school basketball.

Posted January 29, 2013
Both of my children attend this school for a total of 14 years. My son is graduating with a PhD in microbiology this May and my daughter is a junior in college. When they speak of "their" school and the teachers and classes that truly inspired them, they speak of Sumner Academy. Both of my children excelled in high school, one in AP and advanced classes in public school and the other at a highly academic private high school. Both entered college with multiple credits. I truly feel Sumner Academy set my children up for success.

Posted January 29, 2013
As a parent of three children that have attended Sumner Academy, I could not be more pleased with the school. The Headmaster and teachers are dedicated, caring, and committed to helping children develop. Our oldest two have graduated and they have done extremely well in a top notch high school, excelling as well rounded students including academically - they have taken as many AP classes as they could fit into their schedule. As parents we all want the best for our children. We believe Sumner Academy helped us achieve that goal.

Sumner Academy