Gallatin, TN

Posted June 08, 2013
I have a grandchild who has just completed pre-K at Sumner Academy. Both as a grandparent and as a PhD psychologist with a special interest in human development, I cannot recommend Sumner Academy more highly. This school really understands what children need if they are to develop a love of learning and perform their best. It provides a safe and supportive environment and plenty of breaks for physical activity to refresh the mind and consolidate memory. The children actually move from classroom to classroom daily for changes in subject with chatting allowed. The teachers love their work and are enthusiastic about their particular subject. Classes are small with ample time for individualized instruction. Even the pre-K kids have multiple field trips and once a week classes in Spanish, music, art, and computer. All together, Sumner Academy is like a hidden jewel in our midst--a significant community asset and a gold-star academic resource.

Posted March 07, 2013
We transfered this year and absolutely love it. The curriculum is individualized to meet each of my 3 children's learning style. The teachers are very responsive and supportive. I wish I'd found it earlier.

Posted February 04, 2013
Both of my children attending Sumner Academy. Not only has it taught them to be prepared academically, it helped instill hard work and constant preparation. The school provides a safe environment for learning, where it is "cool" to be smart. It encourages good moral character and service to others. Both of my children have been prepared to earn AP credits at a private high school, and earn degrees at their respective universities. Sumner Academy provided a firm foundation for their success. It is evident that the success of my children is due to the guidance and love from the staff at Sumner Academy. A truly great school!

Posted January 30, 2013
I have had two children graduate from Sumner Academy and have one that is still enrolled. My wife and I could not be more in love with this school, the culture is incredibly supportive and caring, the teachers are incredible, and the academic curriculum is outstanding. My career has forced us to move many times, so we have unfortunately had the opportunity to enroll our children at numerous schools. Sumner Academy is by far our favorite school for every member of our family. My daughter is now a senior and applying to colleges. Sumner Academy prepared her to excel in literally every AP course her high school offers. She is graduating near the top of her class and has already been accepted to Ivy level schools. The day after school let out this past summer, our 5th grader came into our bedroom and announced that he really missed school already. I assumed that he meant that he missed his classmates, but he corrected me saying, "I'll see them over the summer, I really miss my teachers. I want to start 5th grade right away, but with the same teachers I had this year." That about sums it up for me.

Posted January 29, 2013
Our child has attended Sumner Academy for 4 years after spending 3 years in public school. We were in what is considered a very good public school but honestly there is no comparison to the atmosphere at Sumner Academy. The teachers truly want to be here and it shows in everything they do. There is a great sense of "community" at this school. It's the best decision we ever made for our child and our only regret is that we didn't come sooner. We highly recommend this school.

Posted January 29, 2013
Several years ago I had the joy of attending my former Sumner Academy daughter's graduation for her second degree from MIT. What a wonderful surprise when also graduating that day was another Sumner Academy student! Both were girls graduating from a college where technical courses dominate. My daughter consistently says that two things prepared her for the high expectations of MIT. One is Sumner Academy and the other is high school basketball.

Posted January 29, 2013
Both of my children attend this school for a total of 14 years. My son is graduating with a PhD in microbiology this May and my daughter is a junior in college. When they speak of "their" school and the teachers and classes that truly inspired them, they speak of Sumner Academy. Both of my children excelled in high school, one in AP and advanced classes in public school and the other at a highly academic private high school. Both entered college with multiple credits. I truly feel Sumner Academy set my children up for success.

Posted January 29, 2013
As a parent of three children that have attended Sumner Academy, I could not be more pleased with the school. The Headmaster and teachers are dedicated, caring, and committed to helping children develop. Our oldest two have graduated and they have done extremely well in a top notch high school, excelling as well rounded students including academically - they have taken as many AP classes as they could fit into their schedule. As parents we all want the best for our children. We believe Sumner Academy helped us achieve that goal.

Posted January 29, 2013
I have nothing but wonderful things to say about this school. I have two children who have attended Sumner Academy since kindergarten and second grade. They have consistently performed well on standardized tests, and in math competitions. The teaching style is innovative and interactive. The teachers and administration are very caring and the school feels like a second family. My children are very happy and enjoy attending school here. I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone with elementary or middle school children.

Posted November 02, 2012
Sumner has talented teachers whose genuine passion for teaching their subject matter is just as evident as their love for the students. My son began Sumner in 5th grade, & it has been academically the best decision we have made. He has always been well above grade level and for the first time has been challenged. Not only that, my child (who has always loved math & science) has developed a love for subject matter I never dreamed possible, like English, Literature, & Social Studies. The teachers' enthusiasm spreads to the students, who then are prepared to learn material at a greater depth. Teachers are easily reached via e-mail, & they often respond to questions, needs, & concerns within 1-2 of hours of receipt. They care about the students as individuals & build a strong rapport with them. My son, who is shy, has been able to shine & thrive. Though the teachers have high expectations & and are consistent with their follow-through they are also compassionate in the way they teach students to live up to them. It's an ideal combination. Sumner is not focused on test scores or teaching to the test. The teachers do a phenomenal job teaching, & the test scores turn out great.

Sumner Academy