Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Develops character: Strongly disagree

I disagree. Honesty is punished. Fairness is not equal. Integrity does not seem to matter.

When my son started here in the 6th grade, he was in advanced classes--mostly A's some B's. His grades slipped from year to year, with teachers not teaching him. With lower grades, in 8th grade he was put in regular classes and that is when the bullying amplified. The principal is unfair and inconsistent with discipline--though he proudly claims otherwise! My son was assaulted and no one knew about it. No adults in the halls. Only when he reported it, did they see it on tape. No one was watching the video in real time. When it was shown that my son defended himself (defined as appropriate in the student handbook), the principal punishes my son by sending him to ISS for protecting himself. The assailant was carried off in handcuffs. In hindsight, I wish I had pulled my child from this hole. Any communication I had with the leaders here fell on deaf ears. They destroyed his spirit, and I really blame the principal--he had a major role in it.

This is the WORST school ever. My child did amazing in elementary school, and id passing with all A's in High school. But in midlle school at Shafer he did horrible. He tried to ask for extra help from a teacher if was struggling but no help was recieved. I decided to confront one of his teachers myself. And her excuse was, "I cant spend extra time eith just one student." He has also informed me that numerous RATS have been spotted in the school. Just think about what must be in that school food. My son had to go to summer school after 7th grade because of his language teacher not giving him extra help, and his friend had the same problem and shiwed me an email where he got EXTRA points to pass. Think about if you want your child going to that school.

This school is awesome. The teachers are all that you could hope for and we are very picky. Just starting middle school can be scary, our granddaughter could not be happier! Joe Shafer was truly the school for her!

My child, as most teenagers do, was having issues with teen drama. The principal decided to address the issue by giving my child detention for (his exact words) "rolling her eyes at another student". The principal runs a very inefficient school and does not try to see the big picture to resolve issues. This is one of numerous issues that my child and I have encountered during the time there. So glad it is almost over and a new school next year.

My daughter attended this school for 2 years. I found the staff to be very nice and helpful. She had a great experience there.

This is my son's first year of middle school and I was quite apprehensive of the process, not the school. We are having an amazing experience. My son loves going, loves his teachers, and has finally started getting organized with their help. 4 of his six teachers are communicating very frequently through email and letting me know what is coming up in class. I love the structure and support the teachers are giving the students. The administration has a strong presence which is a relief as a parent. We love Shafer and can't imagine being anywhere else.

They gave my child 4 minutes to walk from the back corner of the school to the opposite front corner. This was also her only time to go to her locker and use the restroom because her teacher would not let her. We talked to the principal and he was completely unsupportive. This school is horrible. My child spent 1 year there already and I am looking into moving her to a different school.

I have heard for years that Shafer was a horrible school and to never let your child go there. When my oldest child went to Middle school I put her Rucker-Stewart. She struggled and really just hated going to school there. So at winter break I removed her and put her in Shafer. I should of put her there to begin with. She went from C's & D's to A's & B's. The teachers are awesome!!! The principals seem nice too. I will have all my children go to Shafer Middle proudly!! I would like to thank the staff for everything they do. signed by: Glad I Made the Switch Mom

Amazing principals, and wonderful teachers. This school is the place to be in Gallatin.

Last modified Joe Shafer Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.