Bad
Good

Too many times I heard complaints from my student about humiliating, bullying tactics taking place by teachers. There is no place in education for name calling or belittling elementary aged children, and it is unacceptable on multiple levels. Concerns were brought to principals attention and actions became more targeted and more degrading. I'll be glad when we get out of this Stepford-esque mess. And for those glowing reviews from parents that took the tours? Get a grip. What you don't see once you leave the campus on your honeymoon tour is that the students are constantly reprimanded while walking in hallways, have silent lunches waaaaay more frequently than they let on, and most days, don't have recess to let off some steam. Wow, when you've been sitting all morning, being quiet and respectful, paraded through the hallways like robots, sit down for silent lunch, and then for your precious recess you have to sit and be quiet some more?!?! These are children, not robots. How can the administration support this? I can see where the school-to-jail pipeline methodology is embraced: these children seem to be primed for incarceration later in life. I'm convinced the motto of this school is: SIT DOWN. SHUT UP. STOP THINKING. If your student isn't proficient at any of these, you might want to keep looking for a quality education. Totally disappointed in this school. Completely and utterly disappointed. I feel so bad for my student that they have to put up with such unfair and unprofessional human beings every day, and have no options but to put up with others making them feel "LESS THAN".

My husband and I fell in love once we toured this school. The student's are able to walk independently to classes unlike many SCS schools. This school is one of the best of SCS. The teachers are better equipped to serve the students. Most teachers have a Masters Degree. Each Grade level is learning about a different country. The children are not forced to have silent lunches and to wear uniform due to theft of clothes. (Like many Scs schools sadly) My daughter loved this school. I would give it a 99 star rating if I could. Parents please tour schools before enrolling them.

As this school year comes to a close I felt it was my turn to sound off about my time at GES. I am a first time mom of a energetic boy and this was his kindergarten year. Granted I am not a residence of Germantown but not to far so I researched and asked a lot of questions to get here. Just like most parents I wanted the BEST for my son. My son has done very well and I couldn't be more proud of him. I am one of those parents that love to know everything and like to nip things in the bud very fast and stay in your face. My sons teacher has been nothing more than a Angel. She listens to me and most of the time calms me down about something my energetic son has done or not done and lets me know he is doing just fine and considering all her years of teaching his age group i take her at her word. I have been pleased with everything I have seen this year and hope to continue his first school years journey with GES. He has met so many friends that are from around the globe and that is just the best thing. Looking forward to another great year.

My son who is in second grade started Germantown elementary this year in optional program. He loves his French class , International Projects and science fair. He loves his teacher and got good friends. Initially we were not sure how the optional program going to be at Germantown Elementary, we thought we will give a try and I think its working out great for us. I am hoping that teachers and principal continue to thrive and work towards progress of school and students. Driving to this school is not taking much time, so this school works best for us too.

While there were concerns about Germantown Elementary with the formation of Germantown Municiple Schools, I could not be more pleased that GES is a part of Shelby County's Optional Program. My children experience French 3 times a week, music, art, PE, library, counseling, technology, choir, jog club, and international focus along with CLUE (4 hours twice a week of enriched creative learning) and higher academic standards paired with smaller class sizes (15 students in my children's 4th and 1st grade classes). My 4th grader made a 100 on the Discovery Ed Math test for 4th grade before Thanksgiving, and started the year testing low in math achievement. We have attended the "great Germantown schools" since Kindergarten with both of our children and this year has shown us what we have been missing. GES is exceptional!!!

I have two children in the optional program at GES. They are very happy and so am I. The classes are small (15 and 18 students in each). This allows for quality one-on-one instruction when it is needed. My children feel loved and secure when they walk through the door. I know they are receiving an education on par with or exceeding private education in the area. The international studies aspect of the program gives them in-depth immersion in the culture and geography of a foreign country and a study of French, along with the top-notch curriculum. I know my children will be prepared for middle school and high school after their time is up at GES. They are involved in the guitar ensemble, technology club, environmental club, and the cheer-leading squad. I am made to feel welcome by all the staff. My questions are received and answered without feeling as though I've inconvenienced anyone. The office staff are helpful and supportive. I can't say enough about GES! It has been called the "little U.N." and that is a very appropriate comparison. I appreciate the level of diversity at GES. My children have come to have friends from almost every continent. I love that!

I have three children in Germantown Elementary's optional program and I am very pleased with the quality of education, extra-curricular opportunities (guitar, Kiwanis, cheer, technology) and accessibility to teachers and the principal. My children are being challenged as they should be.

I give this school 5 stars. My child has attend this school for 5 years and she has received an exceptional education. The optional program not only enriches the current curriculum, but also gives her cultural arts with a concentration in the French language. She has 15 students in her class which gives her more one on one time with her teacher. I am excited about this school and what it has to offer!

My children love attending GES - one has been there 5 years and the other has been there 4. We have not had a teacher who wasn't excellent. This year there are many changes. The class sizes are smaller, and the behavior problems are fewer. Many of the students are international (at least half in my children's classes are from Europe or Asia). My children are challenged and nurtured in small classes by experienced, innovative teachers. The optional curriculum is amazing. We are having a great year!

Germantown Elementary is a great school with good families and great teachers. This is the first year that GES is an optional program through Shelby County Schools. I am a Germantown resident. My oldest child attended GES from K-5 and now my youngest is in the 1st grade optional program. The optional program is much more rigorous. Initially, I was nervous it would be too hard but my daughter's teacher is awesome and makes sure that each child gets individualized instruction. Furthermore, GES has added foreign language to their elementary curriculum. My daughter will be learning French and some Spanish this year. I couldn't be more excited about that. It is true that the school lost many students due to the creation of the municipal district but we have also gained some great new families. There is a bit of a "turf war" between the new municipal system and the new optional schools, but I think that is unnecessary and unproductive. The City of Germantown has a unique opportunity to build top-notch programs in ALL of their schools with the right community support.

Last modified Germantown Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.