Germantown, TN

Posted April 13, 2015
We switched from private to Houston Middle School. We found the teachers we had at private school were very weak compared to teachers at Houston Middle School. Also - lots of great improvements since Houston Middle is now part of Germantown district. Students will now get opportunity to take French, Spanish or Chinese. We are so glad because the foreign language was the only subject that I children got in private school. Houston Middle School is an excellent choice.

Houston Middle School 2

Posted April 07, 2015
Both of my boys attended Houston Middle School. My youngest son was bullied and was terrified to go to school. The counselors seemed completely unaware of the bullying that was happening. I ended up sending him to a private school. Some of the teachers are good but there are also many weak teachers. It is just a matter of luck to get a good education there. The parental involvement in the school district is very high as it needs to be with the limited resources available to them. If you are moving to the area from a different part of the country chances are you will be disappointed.

Houston Middle School 1

Posted February 23, 2015
When we first moved here, everyone told us to send our child to private school. We are big believers in the public school system so we decided to try HMS. I am sorry to say that the experience has been horrible. If your child needs to be challenged, this schools is not the right choice. Also, be forewarned, the school starts at 7:00am. While the rest of the country is moving to later, age appropriate start times, HMS is behind the times. The first two periods of school are a waste for the students.

Houston Middle School 1

Posted May 07, 2014
Most of the teachers are just not good, they don't set any positive example. Besides, quite often the lessons are filled with unrelated to the subject activities to say the least, at times plain goofing around internet by the teachers. Academic program is very poor. Most of the subjects are taught without using the textbook, in very unorganized and confusing fashion. The kids are told to use Internet as a resource, which is full of untrue and not appropriate information. Some extracurricular activities are all right. Bottom line: this school is way overrated.

Posted September 11, 2013
I think this school deserves a current review. This is our third year at HMS, and we couldn't be more thrilled with our experience here. From academics, to arts, and after school opportunities, we have found helpful and caring staff at every turn. I believe getting involved has been a key to our son's success, having joined the xcountry and swim teams, plus jazz band and honor band and apex/honors classes. Compared to the other middle schools in the area, this is the ONLY school I would want my kids to go to. Teachers are engaged and responsive whenever you have questions, and they truly want their students to excel.

Houston Middle School 2

Posted January 19, 2011
As an alum of this school (over a decade ago), I would like to bring to attention the fact that this was one of the most hierarchical schools I have attended. Under the radar bullying and name-calling occurred consistently, particularly if one did not belong/was an outsider, and no teacher stepped in to hold students accountable. Additionally, in my grammar class, teaching was mainly absent. Each day was spent working alone in our workbooks with minimal grammar instruction. The rest of class time was spent on "Brain Quest" games. I do want to give kudos to the parent volunteers, particularly volunteers who assisted with student clubs, such as Odyssey of the Mind. Parent volunteers at this school were dedicated and enthusiastic about education that occurred outside of the classroom. I do hope that the school environment (whether social or academic) has changed such that each student is cared for and taught with excellence as the school's reputation asserts.

Posted June 22, 2010
Excellent academics and a nice atmosphere. School is very structured, which is good. Almost no discipline problems

Houston Middle School

Posted April 22, 2010
Houston Middle School is probably the best public middle school in Shelby County, Tennessee. The teachers are interested in teaching and are very good with the students, the parents are very supportive of the faculty effort, and the students seem to really enjoy learning. Sadly, that is not the case in many of the public schools in the Memphis area.

Posted June 03, 2009
The system is unorganized but otherwise it is a great school for academics and a little bit for sports

Posted September 18, 2008
I have found the school to be wonderful for acedemics. Most of the teachers use creative and traditional methods of conveying information. Both of my children (one in 6th and one in 8th) are thriving at their interests. I feel that my 8th grader is more that prepared to meet the challenges of high school.

Houston Middle School
9400 Wolf River Boulevard, Germantown, TN  38139
Last modified Houston Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Houston Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top