Greenbrier High School

Public | 9-12 | 833 students

Posted February 19, 2008

I see this complaint about not caring about any one that doesn't play sports with a lot of schools. Have you ever considered that most of the kids that play sports, play more than one sport, and therefore it may seem that their name stands out more? Their schedules have to be shifted to have time for practice in 4th block and so the others feel they are being catered to. My sophomore daughter doesn't feel slighted in the least. Her teacher lets me know if there is a concern, and she praises her when she did well on a test. The math does have tutoring as does science I am told. I am pleased with the school and feel that a lot of what you get from a school is what the students and teachers put in to it. I think GHS is fine.

Posted February 17, 2008

Greenbrier High seems to only care about the students that play sports. But even only the main sports...football, basketball, and volleyball. They do have very high safety regulations. Some teachers are easy to relate to on a one on one bases. The math department offers tutoring to help your child. But the food there is not so great.
—Submitted by a student

Posted November 13, 2007

I have found greenbrier schools as a whole to be a joke! The administration does not comunicate with each other and the students get caught in the middle! most teachers could care less about the students unless they are on the football/basketball/baseball Team! and forget it if you are not from here! you do not stand a chance! We have lived here for almost 6 years and still are not accepted. I tell everyone I know do not ever send your kids to Greenbrier if you want the to succeed in life!

Posted March 16, 2007

Like any school, Greenbrier has things they can improve on, however, overall our family is happy with the academics and overall 'feel' of the Greenbrier High community. Not too big, not too small with school pride and tradition. This works well for us.

Posted September 30, 2005

This is a school that truly cares about its students. Teachers work hard to foster an environment of academic challenge. Concerns are addressed in a timely and fair manner and most teachers are very open and interested in parent comments and concerns. Parents and the community are very involved, for the most part. In my experience, the people who complain the most about the school are the ones who are the least involved.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted August 22, 2005

I have not had good experiences with Greenbrier High School. In my experience, I find that only the students that are in a favorable status (sports, family, etc..) have it easy there. I am considering withdrawing my child from this school.

Posted May 13, 2004

My son is an upcoming Senior at GHS, and I have one child that is an alumni of GHS. We have been very happy with the school, the teachers and the curriculum. The students and their parents are very involved in supporting their athletic program. The academic quality of the Senior Class of 2005 is very high and I feel sure it is the same with underclassmen. We love the 'small town' feel of the community, even though we are minutes from the 'big city'. I would highly recommend Greenbrier to anyone moving to this area. (Go Bobcats!)

Posted May 1, 2004

Overall, the school is great, but I feel there could be better preparation for students wanting to go on to major colleges or universities. We feel there should be more emphasis on academics rather than sports or other school extra-curricular activities.

Posted September 9, 2003

Greenbrier is a very good school. My son has had nothing but excellent grades since attending. He is involved in athletic activities and the parents of most of the students really participate. I highly recommend this school to anyone hoping to move from the larger cities. The area people are excellent. Very friendly folks. We love it here.

Posted August 10, 2003

The quality of extracurricular activities at this school is poor, as is the quality of university preparation.
—Submitted by a former student

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 65% in 2013.

217 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 42% in 2013.

181 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 62% in 2013.

188 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 68% in 2013.

220 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

204 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

English III

The state average for English III was 40% in 2013.

174 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 33%N/A55%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

126 Cuniff Dr