Greenbrier, TN

Posted November 05, 2012
I moved from Davidson county in 1990 just so my kids could attend their neighborhood schools. Both my sons attended Watauga, Greenbrier Middle & Greenbrier HS. They graduated with kids they went to kindergarden with. Can you say that about other areas? That alone means alot but all through their time at these schools, they had wonderful teachers except for maybe 1 or 2 here & there but you get that at any school. My youngest graduated in 2009 and we are very proud of all the schools and strongly recommend them to anyone.

Posted October 28, 2012
I work with a very professional group of educators. The atmosphere is very upbeat and condusive to the students learning and safety. As with any school, the student will get out of it equal to what they put into it. The student that is there to learn and have a positive experience will do so. The student that is there to cause problems will do so and bring problems on himself. Attitude is everything.

Greenbrier High School 4

Posted February 09, 2012
I think it's interesting to read these comments, however, I wonder how many truly haven't experienced GHS firsthand and are just writing out of spite. Regarding the post on December 13, stating that GHS is lacking in teaching and preparation for college, I have a rebuttal. I have 3 graduates from GHS. My first struggled with Math skills but was offered tutoring after school by the late Sherry Freeland. With her help, my child improved greatly and graduated to go on to become a business professional. My second and third were active in many leadership roles while scoring mid 30's on ACTs. They both were awarded many scholarships, and went on to do well in college. My last has maintained a Summa cum Laude rank throughout college years. This is only from the base starting point of teachers that showed how to succeed and the desire to learn which GHS teachers instill. As far as sports favoritsm, everyone likes a "hero". But I do not ever "run into" any teacher that my children have had in the past (many years later) that those teachers do not ask about them or their current lives. That is the difference of a teacher and someone that cares. GHS has both.

Posted June 01, 2011
As I read through these comments, I was literly shocked by some of the comments on here. I have had my son in a couple different schools, and he now goes to GHS, and is excelling beetter there than with any previous school. It is a safe school, the teachers truley care for their students from what I have seen, and to hear other parents bash this school truley amazes me. Maybe if your kid wasn't lazy, and didn't try to succeed, maybe they would have done better. GHS is a great school, try sending your kid to Two Rivers, and see how that one goes over!.

Posted April 29, 2010
I am an '08 alumni from GHS and now attend the University of Tennessee at Martin. I feel that GHS did a wonderful job at preparing me to go on to college except in the writing department, yet I still make A's on almost every paper I write. I did not participate in any sports, nor am I related to anyone that works within the school system and I graduated 11th in my class. The favoritism that some of the others speak of is probably because their peers look up to the athletes, not the teachers. All the teachers I had at GHS treated every student equally. I never once faced a problem of favoritism. The teachers also genuinely care about the students. They are hands on with their teaching methods which seems to get students more interested in what they are learning. I love Greenbrier High School. Go Bobcats! <3

Greenbrier High School 3

Posted April 27, 2010
I have a son at GHS and over all, it has been a good experience. The principal is involved and available. The Math Department is top notch. The English Dept...not so much! The english teachers are quirky and just plain oddballs. They also cant teach english! Spelling errors on papers they hand out frequently. I recommend that you do NOT use the Guidance Department for any reason if you can avoid it. The 'guidance' they offer is poor at best. They will recommend classes that kids are not equipped to take without seeing what the preparation is for said class. They literally are there to put in their 8 hours and get home. I have been stood up with appointments that i left work for on two separate occasions, with no appology at all. Most of the teachers are there for the right reasons though and will help.

Greenbrier High School 0

Posted April 13, 2010
I would have to agree with the other comment regarding the three good teachers. My child is also a senior this year and it has been a very difficult four years. There are some teachers who genuinely want to see the child succeed, but many there that I spoke with acted as if they simply could care less. We were really glad to get to send him to Greenbrier because we had heard good things, but we have been extremely dissapointed. There is such a focus on athletics there as well, that if you don't fall into that category there isn't much left for you. I would strongly consider private school before sending another child there.

Greenbrier High School 4

Posted April 12, 2010
Greenbrier may not be for everyone. Small school compared to most, and most teachers were raised in the area from what I've been told, however, with that comes pride in their own alma mater. I disagree with the comment regarding that there are only three 'good' teachers at the school. I think to judge a teacher, you have to live a teacher's life and see the things they see and receive the little gratitude they receive while dealing with your children for many hours a day. Students tend to be bolder in a peer setting and may act out more than you realize. Otherwise, I feel GHS has a lot to offer if a student is willing to take advantage of it. GHS is not private, not a magnet school but neither are the neighboring schools where you wish your children had stayed. Believe me, they have problems too.

Greenbrier High School 1

Posted February 07, 2010

Greenbrier High School 0

Posted February 03, 2010
Greenbrier is a very good school. Greenbrier offers AP classes and a Gifted program. Like most public schools, opportunity is there, you must embark.

Greenbrier High School
126 Cuniff Dr, Greenbrier, TN  37073
Last modified Greenbrier High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Greenbrier High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 37 reviews. Top