Bad
Good

Posted September 24, 2013
Great school where the teachers actually care about the students. Coursework is rigorous but also rewarding

Posted February 02, 2013
MHMS is a square peg/square hole school. It is exactly what it is, there is not a great deal of flexibility to deviate from the standard. We had 3 children there before our move and it was a good fit for 2 of them. The third was not in the sports/preppy mold. He was picked on and given a very hard time. Very 'Christian friends' told him he was not even a whole person and did not count. The children, of course, vary by grade, but we found that it was pretty pervasive. If you fit in, you are golden, if not, well you will have a hard row to hoe. He always scored 97-100% on IQ & standardized test, so it was not the academics. You have to decide if your child is strong enough to remain true to themselves. Some do very well in this environment, for others it can be crushing. There is just not the variety of classmates you find at a larger school, making it harder to find your niche if you vary much from the standard. Again, this works well for some.

Posted January 29, 2013
I laugh at the idea that anyone would find our school horrible and prejudiced. I have gone to MHMS since Kindergarten, and I can tell you that the teachers are nor ever will be prejudiced. Mrs. Skeith, Mr. Clark, Mr. Duncan, Mrs. Pinson, and Mr. Craighead are all great, fun teachers. I love Merrol Hyde. An education-based school is always better. We may not always win in our athletics, but every single student feels like a winner to be in such a smart, friendly environment. Parents, do not hesitate to send your child to Merrol Hyde.

Posted August 07, 2012
In response to "This school is horrible." Wow, such strong words coming from someone who should do a spell and grammar check before posting a critique that begs the question, from what establishment did you receive your fine education? My sense is you are most likely someone who expects special treatment for reasons only known by you. MHMS is not perfect but pretty close. Happy to see your post was followed by a parent and student with experiences most reflective of the MHMS family. Individuals with probably more time invested in the school than you. Based on your commentary, I find it unwise to follow your recommendation.

Posted August 03, 2012
My daughter has been at MHMS since kindergarten. She's now in 7th grade. We love the small community feel of the school including heavy parental involvement. Our child has been nurtured by administrators, teachers, parents and ancillary staff alike. The teachers are highly motivated and the principal's strong leadership is evident in every arena. We have been extremely happy with this school and our daughter is thriving.

Merrol Hyde Magnet School 1

Posted June 30, 2012
This school is horrible. The teachers are prejudiced and do not let any student stand out or be themselves. Madison Creek Elementary and T.W. Hunter Middle School are a lot better than this school. They have more activities for the students that are also educational.These two schools earn a very large amount of rewards and prizes each year.Teachers and staff participate in activities with the students and are very commited.I do not think MHMS is a very wise choice to have you child go to school at.

Posted June 30, 2012
I went to MHMS from the year it opened until I graduated. Some of the complaints about "kids not being able to be themselves" or the principal being "too strict" are ridiculous. Yes, uniforms are required, and the dress code is stricter than most schools. Yes, the principal does not put up with kids making trouble, but that's why the school has one of the best records on discipline. I found the principal to be understanding and listened to all sides of a story before passing punishment. The courses were tough and rigorous, but it prepared me for college excellently. All in all, I think this is a great school, especially in high school. I loved it.

Merrol Hyde Magnet School 1

Posted August 13, 2011
I have attended MHMS since I was in 7th grade, and I am now in 10th. At first, I was excited to go to such a 'great' school,. but as time went on, I rewlized that the school was extremely prejudiced. Most of the students anf faculty will not like you if you do not conform to what they think is 'good.' The school forces every student to participate in a sport every year. The principal is very strict and does not allow anything that will make a student stand out or be themselves. The only thing this school focuses on is their test scores. The faculty rarely listens to what the student has to say if it isn't something about how 'great' and 'perfect' everything and everyone at this school is.

Posted April 21, 2010
Our children started at MCE an excellent education. The reasons we sent them to MHMS were the benefits of small groups & focus on the gifted kids. No getting lost in the crowd or in with the wrong group. Everyone knows most everyone - K-12. We have had some special health situations arise & these have been handled very well. The administration expects all of the kids to follow pretty strict rules - I would rather have it this way then the opposite! Some teachers are fabulous, others not it is the same everywhere. But overall you can get an excellent education, a safe environment & a tight knit supportive group. We only see two drawbacks: a small pond is sometimes too small to allow for variety & the upper-class guidance is extremely non-existent. Any information you need about your HS schedule for your college major, preparing for college applications, choosing a college etc. you will have to be gather.

Merrol Hyde Magnet School

Posted October 30, 2009
I am a new parent at this school. I have not been as pleased as I had hoped. I think there are better schools in sumner county. I liked Madison Creek much better.

Merrol Hyde Magnet School
128 Township Drive, Hendersonville, TN  37075
Last modified Merrol Hyde Magnet School is a Public school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Merrol Hyde Magnet School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 43 reviews. Top