Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted September 29, 2015
Ms. Skelton and Ms. Sommer are two of the best teachers I've encountered. Both inspire students to strive for excellence, but do so in a way that is engaging and fun for the students.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted September 29, 2015
I've witnessed the six teachers I have experience with adapt to meet the needs of different children in their classes. They instill a strong independent work ethic, while still providing support when it is needed.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted September 29, 2015
Each teacher in the grade handles homework slightly differently. But neither of my twins have been overloaded in K-3rd grade. The homework that is assigned supports the classroom learning, and allows me to go over key concepts with my kids without overloading them.

Posted September 29, 2015
My children have been at Nannie Berry for three years now, and have had amazing teachers all three years. The teachers and office staff are welcoming and truly care about each child. One of my children has slight special needs, but all three of his teachers here have been open to little changes in the classroom to support his needs without requiring an IEP and related processes. I had no interaction with the former principal (Dr. Kimble) but the school does have a new principal this year who seems to be very well liked by all.

Posted May 21, 2014
I will never forget the day I visited Nannie Berry before moving into this area. Instead of hearing "welcome to this school" what I heard from the principal was "Why here?"

Posted March 10, 2014
If you are thinking about taking your kids to Nannie Berry, please consider your choice carefully. I regret the time my child has spent at this school and I am greatly relieved that my child is moving on. Principal Kimble has turned this school into a prison, stays locked in her office staring at security cameras, and barking at students and teachers over the intercom. The teachers and students are mentally exhausted and have an air of defeat. She is completely dismissive of parent concerns, and has a created a very high teacher churn rate. It's sad for the children, really, and not fair for the parents who want the best education for them. It also reflects poorly on the state of education in Sumner County and the State of Tennessee. Consider also that Kimble is "old Hendersonville" and apparently has enough connections to keep her position despite these concerns. 38 years is far too long for her and it's time for new leadership. Do your homework before attending this school.

Posted August 05, 2013
I am very perplexed by the posts describing the principal as difficult and intimidating. This is not at all my experience with her or any other administrator, teacher, or staff at the school. Also, parent involvement is very high. I suspect these posts are all from a single, apparently disgruntled, parent. NBE is an excellent school, and I feel fortunate that my children attend.

Nannie Berry Elementary School 3

Posted May 18, 2012
The teachers at NBE are excellent. That being said, the morale is so low it's palpable. The Principal is very difficult to work with and cold. There is some parent involvement, but not much. We lose good teachers because of our administrator, who rules everything with an iron fist. This could be a great school, it's very diverse and has a very talented group of educators, but it won't be until Dr. Kimble retires.

Posted June 29, 2011
We love Nannie Berry. Our son was in Kindergarten last year. He did amazing! The teachers were awesome. My sons teacher was great about keeping us informed. There was always something going on at the school. It was a fun time while learning!

Posted January 24, 2010
Nannie Berry does well on state testing. I believe this is due to the dedication and focus by the respective teachers and prinicple. There is no free flow of ideas and conversation. The culture in this school is oppressive and teachers and parents are intimidated by the prinicple. As anywhere, the quality of education can change from classroom classroom. That is definitely the case at NB. Some teachers show concern others find it difficult to be even friendly to the children when giving instruction.

138 Indian Lake Road, Hendersonville, TN  37075
Last modified Nannie Berry Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.