Mcconnell Elementary School 4

Posted May 06, 2011
Let me say while I do still find this an excellent school an influx and shifting of teachers has missed the mark. I am disappointed in the new drive for testing but I do know this isn't just the school it is our whole education system ever since No Child Left Behind was implemented I have seen a shift toward testing being the be all and end all. Next year it is due to get worse when TCAPS start counting as a grade. It is horrible that now we have a situation where the teachers are under so much pressure to get great test scores they can't properly teach. It's not the school it is the system. Both my boys teachers did a fine job this year with my youngests being excellent and oldests doing as well as could be expected under some unique circumstances. I really hope to see a shift away from No Child Left Behind and test driven results.. Also the shift in the difficulty of subjects is really bad, because of new testing standards previous star roll kids are getting frustrated because they are working harder only to get Honor roll.

Mcconnell Elementary School 2

Posted May 04, 2011
I have two boys that attend McConnell at this time and while I can say that my oldest (5th grade) received good academic instruction from K-3 his 4th grade teachers were horrible, both academically and to him personally. His science and social studies teacher this year is equally bad. They treated him, and many others that aren't "pets", so unfairly that he went from liking to going to school to trying to avoid it. The kids are not enriched emotionally or socially and are only taught to the test. My youngest is in K and we are seriously considering moving schools even though we know his 1st grade teacher will be really good. Most of teachers seem to like children who sit quietly and fit into their "ideal child" boxes. The school does encourage parental involvement, but doesn't seem to appriciate it.

Posted February 10, 2010

Posted April 05, 2009
I'm very pleased with the academic and social progress my granddaughters are making! Just love the happy smiles on the paricipals' faces at afternoon pick-up' .... a sign of a happy and healthy school environment! Thank you!!

Posted October 12, 2008
They actually do have an Art Program now. I love it here. This is my daughter's first year of school and we are very pleased she is making the most important start to her life at McConnell Elementary. There is alot of involvement from the parents and it is wonderful to be apart of that!

Posted September 18, 2008
This is a school where volunteer hours don't have to be required. Most parents want to be involved in the education of their child. The teachers are interested in the well being of the children and work with the parents to achieve success.

Posted September 15, 2008
I have three children who have attended this school and i think it is a great school they make everyone welcome no matter what.

Mcconnell Elementary School 4

Posted September 03, 2008
The adminstration and staff are wonderful. Parents are encouraged and welcomed to volunteer throughout the school. However, there is no art program and I am disappointed that unlike other local schools we do not offer after school programs such as newspaper, chorus and clubs etc. I feel our kids are missing out on expolring other interest and activities.

Posted July 05, 2008
This the best school.They work as a team an have great staff an parnets.

Posted February 15, 2008
If you are looking for a safe, challenging place for your child, McConnell is the place for you! We absolutely love our school!

Mcconnell Elementary School
8629 Columbus Rd, Hixson, TN  37343
Last modified Mcconnell Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mcconnell Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 14 reviews.