Madison Academic Magnet High School

Public | 9-12 | 471 students

Posted October 17, 2013

I am a student at Madison Academic Magnet High School. I have a 4.0 GPA and passing all of my classes with A's. in my opinion I don't think the school is all that great because some teachers are biased and they show favoritism. They seem to not care as much. The work is not as hard as people think or say it is. We do just as much as any other school in Jackson, Tennessee. Some students are rude and they judged you for no reason. the atmosphere is not that great and they always think that the school is the best of the best when it really isn't. I won't say that it is just terrible because I really do believe that I have had some good times and I hope to have more. I just feel like if makes some improvements it will be an incredible school but for now it's just AVERAGE.

Posted September 30, 2013

Madison academic has pushed my child to reach her highest potential, it has a small home feel, each student is made to feel noticed and important. It has high goals and standards. I would not want my child anywhere but Madison. I have the greatest respect for Janice Epperson as their leader.

Posted June 17, 2013

I am a junior at Madison and i love it! It is tuff and will cause you to put in a lot of hours for studying but in the end it is worth it! It gets you college ready but it isn't for everyone. I do believe, no matter what anyone else says, this school is great and anyone would be grateful for being able to experience it! Everyone is nice and respectable! I will miss the people, teachers, and the school its self when I graduate!

Posted October 5, 2012

this school made college easy for me with all the challenging and time consuming work

Posted November 30, 2010

I graduated from Madison in 2007. I was there for the first 4 years of its existence. From the start, Madison has been a success. I was challenged academically, and the teachers made the subjects enjoyable. For example, I loved biology and chemistry in high school yet disliked it in college. I honestly believe that my high school teachers' passion is what made the classes enjoyable. I am so happy to have had the school experience that Madison offered. The school is small (about 400-500 students), and the faculty is wonderful!

Posted February 1, 2010

First of all, a CP class at a public school in Tennessee should not weight a student's GPA at all. There AP classes are a joke and there are not many of them. Actually the teachers don't really care either. This school is not and should not be considered a good school for college prep. i have been to MUCH better schools in Jackson, Tennessee.

Posted June 24, 2009

In response to the previous post...Yes! We moved here from North Carolina when our girls were in elementary school, and found that we had to homeschool. They later went to private school, and that was also lacking academically. Both of them graduated from Madison Academic, and they enjoyed their time there, but they received all A's with very little effort. It is the best in west TN, but you are correct, many other states are far more advanced, but in academics and in the arts.

Posted June 23, 2009

Although the school offers advanced academics it doesn't compared in AP offerings in other states. There are only 6 AP classes even offered! The graduation requirements are weak compared to the rest of the US. The school is good in Tenn but mediocre in the nation.

Posted September 30, 2008

Madison is a great school and it will prepare you to be elite and above average in college.

Posted June 28, 2008

I've had two daughters graduate from Madison. We were very thankful when this Magnet School opened and we were able to leave the private school tuition behind. Arts and academics are strong, and the discipline and student's respect for teachers and each other are mojor reasons to attend Madison. It is a small school community in which they all know each other. Students work to do well, and there are virtually no discipline problems, so the teachers can teach and enjoy the students.

Posted May 4, 2008

Having attended both private and public schools in Madison County, I can safely say that Madison Academic ranks far above any other school in the area. The faculty are extremely knowledgeable and supportive, and the administration is the most involved I have ever seen; Mr. Allen, the principal, is present at almost every school event. As a student, the social atmosphere was refreshing; there were minimal social pressures because the students respect each other's talents and are very accepting. The sports teams and fine arts programs are top-notch state contenders every year, not to mention the multi-national champion Academic Decathlon team. This school is an extremely special place that is guaranteed to sufficiently prepare each student for the college curriculum.

Posted March 26, 2008

Horrible superintendent but the greatest school in the Jackson Madison County School system by far.

Posted March 3, 2008

I have successfully earned a full scholarship to Harvard after attending Madison for 3 years. I believe this is an exceptional school. No pressures, no hardships. The teachers are amazing as well as the students. This is deffinetly the place to be.

Posted October 12, 2007

I have one daughter who has graduated from Madison and another one who is a Freshman this year. They both love this school and we are so happy they have the opportunity to attend there. The academics are wonderful and so are all the teachers. There is not a better school in Jackson. My younger daughter is doing well in her first year of highschool. No social pressures just great kids to be around.

Posted July 22, 2007

Great school, I was exceptionally prepared for college after attending Madison for it's first three years of existance

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 65% in 2013.

132 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 42% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 62% in 2013.

129 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 68% in 2013.

135 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

n/a

2011

English III

The state average for English III was 40% in 2013.

118 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 27%N/A55%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

179 Allen Av