Johnson City, TN

University School 3

Posted January 23, 2015
The math preparation at University School is below par. They require every freshman to take Algebra I even if they have taken it earlier in middle school. Their advanced math courses largely consist of sending students to math classes elsewhere on the ETSU campus, where most of the students are far below the academic capabilities of the students at University School. The head director changes every few years so there is little long term vision for the school. And now we hear the advanced English classes will be in flux due to retirements.

University School 4

Posted November 15, 2011
The current director seems miscast. Teachers are extremely uneven in the 9-12 grades. Hard decisions regarding marginal educators are not being made and kids suffer as a consequence. School wants to be a signature school for math and science--they should revisit this because frankly, they do not have the teaching strength to support this by and large. Stronger in the humanities and social science. All of the teachers care, however. I do not perceive a problem with teachers/staff--I perceive a serious problem of leadership because there appears to be none...

Posted August 14, 2008

Posted March 20, 2007
University School is a grade A school. The teachers are there because they are passionate about what they do. Students are 'actively' learning in an enriching environment. There is no other place I would send my children.

University School 4

Posted December 12, 2006

Posted July 11, 2006

Posted April 22, 2005
I have been observing in the Kindergarten classroom at University this spring, and I have never seen such a wave of success! This school is the epitome of what ETSU's College of Education teaches us. Every aspect of all of the classrooms in which I have observed are on target with Developmentally Appropriate Practice. They follow the interests of the children...afterall that is how they learn most effectively. Out of the 8 field placements I have participated in since attending ETSU, University School has provided me with the richest and most rewarding experince. I highly recommend this school for any type of learner. Your child's strenghs will be stimulated through various learning and teaching approaches. A++ school and environment!

Posted July 26, 2004
I have gone to University School for 7 years and have loved every minute it. There is a wonderful learning environment, and the school is small enough that all of the teachers and administrators know you. I have wholeheartedly enjoyed University School and woul recommend it to any incoming student.

Posted August 24, 2003
I rated discipline a one, because we get disciplined out the wazoo! I came to love this school last year, within the first week that I was there, this year, however, I am questioning that love. I feel restricted. Last year the teachers did so much hands on activities, but now with their marathon meetings, they barely even have time to sleep much less come up with exciting ways to make learning fun! The faculty have been condemened for teaching us not only the material, but how it relates to our every day lives. Learning facts is boring, learning how to be a good citizen that can survive in modern day America is essential!

Posted August 19, 2003
University School is a very good educational environment. The majority of the teachers care about their students and their learning. The new principal, Dr.Defreeze, is a very strict but good leader and knows how to bring up a school. She has corrected the school so much from what it used to be. Although they have rules and regulations, they also give the students some space to 'breathe.' It is a very good school. I would very highly recommend this school to pretty much anyone.

University School
1 Alexendra Dr, Johnson City, TN  37614
Last modified University School is a Public school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
University School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top