Johnson City, TN

Posted May 10, 2015
Students are unique exhibiting creative and intelligent thinking well beyond their years. Unique perspectives are encouraged. TCAPS: Incredibly low levels of stress for both educators and students in comparison to other. They were all highly prepared and there is no "teaching to the test". Faculty: I've yet to find a group of educators as caring and encouraging as the group at AA with the keen sense of how to challenge students appropriately. Teachers are open to concerns. We feel comfortable going to teachers knowing that they are willing to make positive changes for our children all while teaching them respect and boundaries. Diversity: The Headmaster and Dean have gone beyond the call of duty in fostering a truly inclusive and secular educational institution where families of all religious/racial/cultural backgrounds are celebrated for their diversity. This truly inspiring to see so much diversity working together to learn from one another respectfully which is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Thank you Ashley Academy for teaching our children that there is a vast world out there waiting to be explored and holding their hands while doing it.

Posted January 07, 2015
This is an amazing, unique school! It is probably not for everyone - it's very small and the classes are tiny - but if you want your child to learn HOW to think instead of WHAT to think, this is a wonderful school with a strong sense of community. Students are challenged and receive VERY individualized attention. My child was bored and miserable in the public system. We are new, so I can't speak to the changes over the past few years, but we are incredibly pleased. It's refreshing to find a diverse private school without religious indoctrination. They've had guest speakers in world cultures/religions and the families were invited to join in tasting traditional cuisines from all over the world. This semester, there was a guest speaker from the Storytelling Festival, the older grades served meals at a soup kitchen and volunteered at an animal shelter. These kinds of opportunities can't be found at huge public schools. The teachers are dedicated, passionate about teaching and they are developing bright students who are excited, challenged, curious about everything and love learning.

Posted September 28, 2014
AA has gone through a few transitions over the last year, these transitions were only moving the school towards a much better educational system. With a new Headmaster at the helm the NEW AA atmosphere is loving, welcoming, fun, challenging, and inspiring. Current teachers care for each student in a way that is familial while focusing on them as as individual, unique and creative thinkers, helping enrich their strong points while strengthening their weaknesses. We are very pleased with the new related arts classes (PE, Health, Music, Art, Spanish, Character Development and Library/Technology). Field trips are practical and FUN! The school cares about the environment with a "Green" atmosphere. The Academic Dean is understanding and caring and all employees work as a solid team regardless of whether or not a child is in their class. Students express excitement/love towards the school and classmates. This year there is a strong focus on caring for one another in a non-judgemental way. Thank you Board, Faculty, Headmaster, Dean and all employees for this amazing new well put together team of professionals and the warm welcome/smile that greets us in the front office everyday.

Ashley Academy 1

Posted September 17, 2014
I am very disappointed in this school. The teachers seemed overwhelmed and don't focus on the individualized attention that I thought my son was supposed to get. The curriculum is terrible and seems to easy for my child. He comes home bored and upset everyday. Providence is looking better and I wish I made that choice.

Posted January 07, 2014
This school is amazing! Ignore the comments about it being bad. Yeah it got a new principle, so what? She is amazing! And her and the teachers are the smartest and most loving people I have ever met in my entire life! They help with everything! You won't find a better school than this one! It's amazing!! Ignore the mean comments, they are all not true and they are mean because those people are stubborn and don't like changes that are meant to happen!! Ashley academy is the best school I've seen! Don't go to providence or university school unless you want your child to be sad! Take them to Ashley academy!! I promise they will love it!!

Posted December 10, 2013
I absolutely love the teaching staff at Ashley Academy! The children are engaged and challenged on a daily basis. All of the teachers hold Masters Degrees and know exactly how to relate to the children and parents. The PTO is very active and support the teachers with their creative thinking and projects. Words cannot describe the wonderful family nature of this school.

Posted November 12, 2013
Having spent an incredible amount volunteering my time as a parent thus far in the 2013 school year I've seen with my own eyes the incredible shift that's happening in the school. The new Board of Directors is clearly focused and passionate about a highly qualified school. They are diligently working on the vision of the school which includes the arts and are very open to hearing and addressing the concerns of families. The faculty has truly blown my family's mind with their amazing organization and unique and sophisticated approach to engaging children in all subjects and at all levels. I've yet to see a team of faculty work together as well as they have. They are the pulse of this school and are inspiring to be around. Scheduling a tour would be a great idea to get a better sense of the school's familial close knit school community. So glad I decided to spend more time volunteering so I could debunk any myths about Ashley Academy on my own. Which brings up another point, I have yet to see a school that welcomes parents into their system as much as Ashley Academy does. It's wonderful being present and participating in so many of Ashley's events and their incredible field trips.

Posted November 01, 2013
The staff is very knowledgable and loving. Two very important qualities I look for in the teachers of my child.

Posted October 24, 2013
As a teacher of history at Ashley Academy's Middle School, I can attest that the school has highly qualified, innovative staff, and brilliant students who work together to create an environment of deeper, enriched learning than one would find in many schools. The network of teachers, parents, and students is extremely close, and leaves the school community feeling more like a family than a school. Infusion of the standard content areas with the arts, hands-on learning, field experience, and in-discipline competition make our school and exceptional experience for children needing extra challenge.

Ashley Academy 4

Posted September 12, 2013
This is the first year that our child has attended Ashley Academy. We came to the school in the midst of a transitional time and have tried not to pass quick judgement, either pro or con. This is what our family has experienced: our child has a fantastic teacher who is kind, motivated, creative, and invested in the success of her students. From the other teachers I have met, this seems to be the norm for teachers at Ashley and in my opinion, the quality and dedication of the teachers is the single biggest asset the school offers. The individualized curriculum at Ashley, as opposed to the "teach for the test" standards at the "A" rated public school our child attended last year, is an apples to oranges comparison. Ashley is small and therefore boasts the ability for teachers to learn about the needs and abilities of each individual student and make adjustments to meet the child on his/her level. My child came in advanced and the curriculum has been adjusted to add additional challenges, and to further develop a love of learning. I will gladly share our experience and regardless of the transition in leadership, recommend the learning environment at Ashley Academy.

Ashley Academy