Johnson City, TN
Students enrolled: 2,177

Posted October 02, 2014
The kids are pushed hard to succeed. There are many activities for the kids to enjoy.

Science Hill High School 2

Posted November 29, 2010
Parents, be sure to check your students schedule. Make sure they take all neccesary classes. My 12th grade year, 04'-05', they kicked me out because of their mistake with my schedule. They put me in classes that I shouldn't have taken without the required pre-courses. They told me in my 1st week of 12th grade that because I was 18 and 2 credits behind, I couldn't make them up.I was a "guest" of the educational system and they didn't have to provide me with an education. If I had known at the time that they couldn't do that and that I could sue them, I would have. They don't care about the students, they just want to get them out as quickly as possible. Please, please watch the schedules and ask about all courses that need to be taken in order to take another.

Science Hill High School 3

Posted October 01, 2010
If your kids are into athletics, you're in luck. SHHS is all about the athletics, all the attention, money and support will go towards pampering these students. Teachers seem to see the more intensive classes (AP, IB, etc) as "more work" and they resent any funding those programs receive, seeming to think that the money somehow comes out of their own pockets. Some of them take their frustrations out on the kids, making coursework arbitrary and being rather impossible to please to somehow "get back" at the kids for striving to do more. If your child doesn't get the best grades, they will be encouraged to aspire less and dumb down their class choices so the school can get better overall marks. The staff do not care what parents think, only that they keep the money coming. School treats all kids and parents (except athletes) like delinquents who cant be trusted.

Posted March 25, 2010
The IB Programme at Science Hill is a great addition to the school's already excellent curiculum. I am so glad that the school has taken the chance on this culturally sensitive progam to effectively prepare students for University and life thereafter. It is my highest hope that the IB Programme will continue to be offered at Science Hill for students in the future in the hope that they will be ready for an ever-globalizing world.

Science Hill High School 1

Posted March 16, 2010
I am a eighth grader at Science Hill High School and it is the worst school I have ever been in. When kids are talking the teachers just stand there and look at them. It is so hard to concentrate when people are talking. I love my band class though and we have so much fun. There needs to be something done with the kids that are being really bad. I have other friends that think that this is true also. My parents think this is true too. Be smart and go to a different school.

Posted September 08, 2009
I'm a freshman at Science Hill. I have to say, compared to all the other schools I've been to, Science Hill is by far the best one of them all. :] The teachers really do care about the students here. We have amazing classes and good extracurricular activities. (Even though band is a little ridiculous on their practicing!) I'm preparing for IB (it technically starts in 10th grade) and this really made me open my eyes to how challenging high school was going to be. Harder classes, new people, new teachers...It's a big transition! But I think the teachers there try and help us make it the best as they can. :] GO TOPPERS!

Science Hill High School 4

Posted August 01, 2008
hey i go to science hill right now and i can tell you that its not great but then again no high school is. The teachers are hardworking and caring about students and i think that i will be well prepared for college next year.

Posted July 05, 2008
Teachers of honors and AP classes excellent

Posted March 27, 2008
Our daughter has had great teachers who excited her and made her want to learn more (in Math and Physics in particular). It is such a nice and refreshing change

Posted April 20, 2007
My head started spinning after reading the bad reviews given to SHHS by other people. Honestly, there is no other high school in East Tennessee that even comes close to better preparing students for college. The graduating class of 2006 was awarded more scholarship money than any other school in the state of TN last year. People think badly of SHHS because it's a large school with a diverse student population, but Science Hill has excellent sports, an amazing music program (two SHHS concert bands performend at Carnegie Hall in NYC), a huuuuge amount of other types of clubs to fit all interests, and most importantly, a large number of Honors and AP courses, and starting next year, SHHS will provide the IB program, which isn't offered at any other school in the area. Please don't be fooled, SHHS is truly a wonderful school.

1509 John Exum Pw, Johnson City, TN  37604
Last modified Science Hill High School is a Public school that serves grades 8-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Science Hill High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top