Johnson City, TN

Cherokee Elementary School 1

Posted April 29, 2011
I was also a single parent at this school. We supported the school as much as any other. They would have places like mcdonald's for raising money. When i went to them the principal would walk around and talk to everyone but single parents and my daughter won a lunch with her. You would think she could of noticed her. Her third grade teacher had told me that all she had to do was standard learning and there were other kids that needed to be brought up to speed while my daughter got no education. I switched to woodland and they are excellent with my daughter and they push her to do more than standard..

Cherokee Elementary School 5

Posted November 10, 2010
Wonderful principal, wonderful teachers and the best PTA around!! We have loved Cherokee! I am a high school teacher myself and I am very happy that we have gotten the opportunity to be at Cherokee. It is one great school.

Cherokee Elementary School 5

Posted October 24, 2010
I love the family atmosphere and the willingness to always support each other.

Posted October 18, 2010
Cherokee has awesome, caring, dedicated teachers and staff!

Posted October 14, 2010
The staff goes out of their way to make school fun as well as safe.

Posted October 13, 2010
Atompshere it gives my children to learn in

Cherokee Elementary School 1

Posted May 17, 2010
Similar to other comments that have been posted I feel the principal and other staff members at Cherokee have no clue on how to create an environment that focuses on learning. I would recommend any parent to skip this school and look elsewhere because of the principal. I am glad to move on.

Cherokee Elementary School 3

Posted April 14, 2010
I was told this school was great, and being in JC you would think so. It's not, It's a joke. My daughter was months ahead when she came here and was never ever anything but bored,

Posted February 21, 2010
I also am a single parent with children at Cherokee Elementary School and I too feel that if you are a single parent with children you are automatically singled out. I have two children there and I feel that it depends on the teacher as well as their perspective of different cultures. My daughter has had two wonderful teachers and my son had a great teacher last year. However, this year his teacher hasn't been that great and I feel degraded because my child is biracial and I raise my children alone. I have been referred to by the counselors at Cherokee. I feel that my children can't be children without being singled out. My children have a right to happiness and well-being without feeling secluded and degraded. Hopefully next year he will get a teacher with compassion and nurturing skills who doesn't differentiate. My children deserve to be individuals.

Cherokee Elementary School 3

Posted May 27, 2009
I have had my child at Cherokee since Kindergarten. I hate to rate it an average as I have had some wonderful experiences with teachers and my son has learned so much from them. My problem is with the principal as well as some of the administrative and teaching staff. Several of the teacherswho have been there for a long time act as though teaching is a chore instead of the privelage that it is. I have also found that with the principal and administrative staff, if you are a single parent you are treated with much less respect than those in traditional families. Again, many of the teachers he has had (especially K, 3rd, & 4th grade) are unmatched in their love for children and their excellence in teaching.

2100 Cherokee Road, Johnson City, TN  37604
Last modified Cherokee Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Cherokee Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top