Dobyns - Bennett High School

Public | 9-12

Posted September 12, 2014

This school has some great teachers! But they could get better math teachers and also the school is just way overcrowded I am a senior and struggled with getting into an English class for five weeks because I had to wait on them to hire another teacher! In my opinion after going to DB I don't consider it as great as everyone says!

Posted October 27, 2013

I attended this High School, and my experience was Great, I really had some fun memories being here!

Posted September 10, 2012

I am a current senior at Dobyns Bennett and I am extremely pleased with my education. I have been lucky enough to be able to take advantage of some of the more advanced classes in the school, including some of the many AP classes that DB offers. It is one of (if not) the best education systems in the Tri-cities area. It has helped me to increase my knowledge and ready myself for college. The education that a student receives from the school is really dependent on what classes they decide to take, because, like many other schools, it does have to offer some of the basic remedial classes. However, all the teachers at the school are supportive and helpful no matter what classes you take.

Posted November 22, 2011

I am an alumna of DBHS, having graduated in the famous class of 1961. The education I graduated with was superior to that of most people with advanced degrees today. I can read, speak, and write the English language correctly, I was well-grounded in languages, math, sciences, and history. I am very proud of the band and orchestra programs today, and I feel confident that today's students are receiving the same top quality education I did. My class had an extremely high graduation rate by any standards, most of us went to college, and and most of them attained Masters' and Doctors" degrees, We are very proud to be DBHS slumni!

Posted October 13, 2010

Oh wow! What is there not to like? One of the top public schools in the state, region, and nation with numerous educational offerings including AP courses, a vocational wing, a music building, and an arts complex; an highly decorated and award winning band with multiple performances at events such as the Macy's and Rose Parades, the best high orchestra in the state of Tennessee, and athletic tradition and excellence. The boys basketball program has more all time wins (over 2,000) than any school in the nation. The football team is the winningest program in the state. The volleyball team is the state defending champion. Famous alums include: Bobby Dodd, former Georgia Tech football coach and athletic director; John Palmer, former White House correspondent and Today show anchor for NBC, eight former or current professional football players including current Dallas Cowboy safety, Gerald Sensabaugh; former All American Wake Forest point guard and WFU Sports Hall of Fame, Sklp Brown; and current Clemson University President, Jim Barker.

Posted February 15, 2010

I am currently a sophomore at DB, and I must say it is quite an experience. I am in all honors classes, and my teachers really push me to excel in my classes. I am a tuition student and zoned for a county school, but I am so thankful that my family is willing to pay for me to attend Dobyns Bennett. I'm involved in sports and I absolutely love the support from my classmates I get. The facilities here are fantastic, the curriculum is TOUGH and the relationships you build are going to last me my whole life. DB is a wonderful school and its athetics are especially great. From the football team to the swim team to the Spirit Shakers, each organization strives in its atmosphere. I'm so lucky to be able to go to DB, Go Indians!:)

Posted November 3, 2009

I taught at this modern, up-to-date high school twenty years during which time I saw the school win state and national awards for academics, music, and athletics. A DB graduate has received a broad liberal arts experience which studies show prepares one to do well in college and in our increasingly global world. Two of my grandchildren are students there at this time although I am retired. One of the awards received by Dobyns-Bennett High School during my tenure was being named one of the top three high schools in the state in the state of Tennessee which, unfortunately, ranks near the bottom for funds spent on education.

Posted January 17, 2009

D-B is a really great school. With awesome teachers and coaches. The music department is great. I like how the teachers put alot of pressure on me because they want me to be the best i can be. There is no reason why your son or daughter should not attend D-B. The best school in the world!!!

Posted January 15, 2009

As a parent of two students that graduated from DB I feel as if to much is placed on their sports/band activity and not enough on studies as can be proven in the number of students having to take remedial classes in college. If this happens the price of these classes should be paid by the school that they graduated from and not the parents since most paid their taxes for the education. More on studies and less on growth of the school. I think it is a Black Hole in Kingsport.

Posted September 26, 2008

D-B is a great school. Their is alot of pressure because they expect their students to strive for the best. My son had a lot of pressure his freshman year but he adjusted. This is life and I want my son to be ready for it. All across the board, D-B surpasses the rest.

Posted September 2, 2008

DB really prepared me for college and life after HS. Though I didn't like all the bullying from social club members (not all of them, just some...) it was a great overall academic experience. Bullying happens everywhere, but some of the fault of that was the local parents who wanted their children to have an aggressive edge. To a degree, the teachers and staff could do nothing about it because of the political structure of all schools. Any ending of the social clubs or coming down too hard on one of these children could result in losing their jobs. So they controlled it as much as possible. Overall, I felt safe and was happy though there was much peer pressure and some favoritism based on parental wealth and sports.

Posted April 26, 2008

I am a current student and the teachers and the wide selection of classes to take is extraordinary. It makes me feel good to be a Dobyns-Bennett Indian! GO TRIBE!

Posted April 21, 2008

I also retired from the military after 26 years and was making the relocation decision that hopefully would be my last. Usually I would not place something on a website such as this, but I truly feel it is my obligation to report my findings so others have this available during their research. Although, at first, I truly did like what I saw of the school, faculty and staff, but as I looked further... the actual system itself caters toward the more privileged of the students and I do agree the welfare of the students is not the primary objective. Some of the smaller schools in this area were no doubt a much better choice. I'm glad I made the decision I made and decided to retire to the triangle area of North Carolina... a much more diverse and responsible public school system... a decision made for the kids not me.

Posted September 12, 2007

I am a Dobyns-Bennett graduate, and feel fortunate that I was able to have such an excellent high school experience. Every close friend that I had while there went on to complete a four-year education in an excellent college or university, and many continued on to graduate or medical school. DB prepared me very well for my college experience at a top-25 liberal arts university, and I felt that I was as prepared for the curriculum as many of my friends who were educated at expensive private or preparatory schools. I would recommend this school without reservation in regards to academics, extra curricular activites, and sports.

Posted October 25, 2006

I retired from the United States Army in 2002 and moved to Kingsport from Upstate New York. I knew I wanted to relocate to this area, but was not sure where. I researched all the school systems and found Dobyns-Bennett to be superior to other area schools. Since then, my daughter has graduated and is a sophomore in college. The education she received at DB helped her to obtain offers from several colleges. She was also in several extracurricular activities including the show choir. My son is a freshman this year and absolutely loves it. He is active in sports and the band. The faculty and staff seem to care a great deal about the students and all strive to be the best whether it be in academics, sports, or music. In short, I am extremely happy with our decision to move to Kingsport and have our children attend Dobyns-Bennett.

Posted March 31, 2006

Do not be dissuaded by one poor review. Dobyns-Bennett is the finest high school in the region. No other public institution, except perhaps Oak Ridge, is so superior athletically, extracurricullarly, and academically. One would have to go to a private school to receive a better secondary education, but many private schools in the area are lacking when compared to Dobyns-Bennett and the rest of the Kingsport City School system.

Posted December 24, 2003

I love this school it is the most outstanding school I have ever seen. It has great facilities, faculty, and students. If given a chance visit the school. People are very kind and all other schools in the country admire Dobyns-Bennett for its outstanding academics and even being the 2nd winningest high school in the nation.

Posted October 14, 2003

I have traveled to schools all over the east and this school isnt efficient with there resources. The teachers dont care for the students welfare.

Posted August 15, 2003

Dobyns-Bennett is great it has the best student body, teachers, pride, and overall learning environment I have ever attended

Posted August 10, 2003

Great School, above average teachers who show care and concern toward individual students both academically as well as socially. Above average curriculum. Super community support. Respect and admiration from School Systems from across the state.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 65% in 2013.

380 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 42% in 2013.

396 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 62% in 2013.

484 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 68% in 2013.

524 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

454 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

English III

The state average for English III was 40% in 2013.

321 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 42%N/A55%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1800 Legion Dr