PK-5|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

I have known the Tate family since I was a little girl but had been on the school's campus in years! Recently, I had the opportunity to attend an Open House at the school. The atmosphere at the school was fantastic! Tracey Van Hook (one of the 3 sisters) gave me a tour of the school and outlined their plans for the expansion of the school as well as the minds of the children lucky enough to be students there. I was quite impressed with their library and the librarian. Their emphasis on reading creates an excitement about reading in even the most reticent. They can achieve this because of their small class size and ability to tailor the curriculum when needed to make sure a child will succeed. Their attention to the needs of the students is even evidenced in the classroom furniture! We all know children fidget. That energy can be either destructive or constructive. In the case of Tate's, it has been harnessed, literally, by the desks themselves! The desks are very unique in that they are on wheels! A small thing maybe but it allows the students to use that energy without detracting from the work at hand. I can honestly say it seems like the school has thought of everything with the benefit of the children always coming first. If you are looking for a nurturing academic environment for your child, I would highly recommend a visit to Tate's School of Discovery!

My son attended Tate's from K-5th grade. It was, by far, the best educational experience that we could have chosen. The smaller class sizes allow each child to flourish. My son left the school wonderfully prepared for middle school, and I assure you that we would have stayed for middle school if it had been an option during my son's time at Tate's. In a private school environment, the children do experience a slightly distorted "financial view" of life. That being said, the families that became our "school family" were so down to earth, and my son was not materialistically focused, as is the problem in some of the other local private choices. Tate's is also conveniently located!

My daughter is in her second year (3rd grade) at Tates, and I could not be more thrilled. She was in public school for kindergarten and first grade. When we looked elsewhere and found Tates, we knew it was our spot immediately. With the campus style setup, and their use of the beautiful facilities, the school has a unique feel and if you get it, you will love it. It represents very well the education you can expect- well thought out, constructed with care and quality, understated with attention to detail, but vibrant and fun. She has always been a curious person and tends to pick things up quickly. Her education has always been one or our top priorities, in particular her early education where children form critical opinions about school and learning in general. That is one of my favorite things about Tates. The learning is wrapped around the things they are doing on a daily basis, so the students connect dots in a remarkable way. It has made my daughter want to know more about everything. It has helped her develop an ability to teach herself, and that is a powerful foundation for her future education. I feel we are making an investment, not only in today but the rest of her education and the dividends may not be fully realized for years to come. The teachers foster a culture of possibility. Not “can we do this” but rather “how can we do this”. A strong use of both critical thinking and teamwork helps all the children to work in a supportive way and the solutions they come up with are really clever. The teachers don’t just widely broadcast canned information and hope the students pick up what they need, but rather develop in the children a thirst for learning and then turn on the faucet and let them drink. They see each student, as just that, an individual student who learns in a unique way and at their own speed. They help the students learn at the pace that works best for them. I was not particularly disappointed by our experience at public school in the two years we attended, but at the same time, there wasn’t much more that I could say about it. I don’t think that should be the standard for my daughters education, “not particularly disappointed”. I think we owe her more than that, and am truly grateful that Tates School and the staff provide a much richer and complete educational experience. They deserve all the high praise they receive.

Tate’s has given my daughter her love of learning back. As a parent, I was not a proponent of “private is better than public.” In fact, I felt strongly that my daughter would benefit more in her understanding of the world if she attended public school, which she did the first two years of elementary school. What I hadn’t anticipated with public school, however, was how the teachers were stretched too thin with large classes, and how the introduction of the Common Core made learning a rigid march toward the test. Although my daughter was a top student, she was miserable and cried nearly every morning. She began to hate school and started to lose interest in subjects that she’d once loved. I didn’t want this to be the foundation of her education. She began 2nd grade at Tate’s, and the shift was almost immediate. The teachers are creative and believe learning should be fun, even magical. They believe kids learn better when their days include movement and fresh air. And in no way are the kids “coddled,” which I think is a common misperception of private schools (one I admittedly had). My daughter has been encouraged to challenge herself with a “growth” mindset, meaning each lesson or challenge is an opportunity for discovery—which opens her mind to a world that's much larger than "succeed" vs. "fail." Her enthusiasm for learning returned quickly, and she continues to flourish while now in 3rd grade at Tate’s. During the second week of school this year, she hopped out of the car one morning with a big smile and said, “I wonder what’s going to happen today!” That sums it up—Tate’s fosters the curiosity, the willingness, for life-long learning. I can’t say enough about this school—from the administration, the teaching staff, the other students, the fun campus. Somehow Tate’s manages to have a very down-to-earth feel, while quietly delivering excellence at every turn. Tate’s has far exceeded our expectations, and we are deeply grateful.

I regret sending my child here. My son was a little behind because of a speech delay and they brought us in for a meeting two weeks into the school year and said he could not come back the next day. We did not even get to get any of his artwork. They said he was very well behaved but the school "was not a right fit" for him. The school is strictly a business and they do not take pride in actually educating children. If you look at the 5 star reviews you will find they are almost entirely made up of people that work for the school or are related to someone that does.

We do not recommend this school at all. Our child was accepted into the school and as soon as she was labeled as having sensory processing disorder she was dismissed. The school accused our child of certain behaviors that were never exhibited anywhere else, and when we asked if we or her occupation therapist could come into the classroom to help we were ignored. Our child is now thriving at another school above grade level.

Tate's is a fantastic school. The classes are small so the children get plenty of one on one time with the teacher. Teachers are excellent and work hard to make sure your child learns. The kids eat lunch outside on the beautiful campus and they get time outdoors throughout the day. Very pleased with academics. My only criticism: There is some religion in the school. They pray at lunch and fifth graders get bibles when they graduate. There is no bible class or chapel, though, so my children just take a pass on the prayer at lunch.

I had two girls attend Tate's from age 4 - K. Teachers were great, but the owner/principle, Ms. Tate is a cold business women. Make no mistake, this is a business for profit. Class sizes are great in some ways, but some kids not having exposure to more diversity/larger classes can struggle in high school/college. My mother became terminally ill so I wanted to care for her full time but could no longer afford the tuition if I did. We learned of her illness a month after we signed the upcoming year's tuition agreement. After a tearful face to face with Ms. Tate she would not release us from the year long commitment. I even offered a penalty fee but couldn't afford 12 months of tuition. I was told, no exceptions. We kept our daughter in 1 more year but it kept me from spending quality time with my mother before she passed because I had to work to pay for the tuition. I regret that decision now, but I cant go back. The kids loved the teachers and the camp, but I never felt like anything other than someone to pay their bills even before my request to leave. You sign, you are done, no exceptions. Sign with caution and hope "life" doesn't happen because the administration doesn't care.

There are so many wonderful things about Tate's school. Teacher ratio, ability for teachers to cover curriculum in clever and interesting ways, plenty of outdoor time throughout the day, beautiful peaceful campus, and a caring family atmosphere. My only complaint some teachers (mainly in Kindergarten) do not prepare children for the expectations of first grade. Also the schiool never surveys parents for feedback so they can improve. You have to "complain" in order to be heard and are often met with comments like " your child must not have been ready to learn those things yet". It's disappointing since there are so many positives. A simple survey each year could really get under some underlying issues with a few things that are important to being a school that could be the best it could be.

I don't know where the 1-13-13 review came from but it is not accurate. My daughter has been at Tate's since PK and is now in 4th grade. The religious agenda accusation is false. While most children are of the Christian faith I have never seen a child bullied or isolated by the children. The Principal leadership is superior! The few issues (very few) I asked to have addressed were handled immediately to my satisfaction. The Teachers are 5 star. The small classes are often split between 2 teachers with respective strengths on science/math and language/arts as a result my daughter has had 9 different primary teachers...I would rate 7 of them 5 star, one of them 4 star and one 3 star (average). Parent involvement is very high and is welcomed but voluntary. My wife really enjoys being involved in the activities/trips/projects. The teachers are also very in tune to the kids...I can say without reservation that I would highly recommend Tate's if you want your child to be in a warm rich learning environment completely averse to the public school experience. My daughter scores 95%-99% in every TCAP category and I have no doubt her learning achievements have been maximized at Tate's!

Last modified Tate's School Of Discovery is a Private school that serves grades PK-5