Knoxville, TN

Tates School Of Discovery 1

Posted May 31, 2014
We do not recommend this school at all. Our child was accepted into the school and as soon as she was labeled as having sensory processing disorder she was dismissed. The school accused our child of certain behaviors that were never exhibited anywhere else, and when we asked if we or her occupation therapist could come into the classroom to help we were ignored. Our child is now thriving at another school above grade level.
2 people found this helpful

Posted April 03, 2014
Tate's is a fantastic school. The classes are small so the children get plenty of one on one time with the teacher. Teachers are excellent and work hard to make sure your child learns. The kids eat lunch outside on the beautiful campus and they get time outdoors throughout the day. Very pleased with academics. My only criticism: There is some religion in the school. They pray at lunch and fifth graders get bibles when they graduate. There is no bible class or chapel, though, so my children just take a pass on the prayer at lunch.

Tates School Of Discovery 3

Posted January 03, 2014
I had two girls attend Tate's from age 4 - K. Teachers were great, but the owner/principle, Ms. Tate is a cold business women. Make no mistake, this is a business for profit. Class sizes are great in some ways, but some kids not having exposure to more diversity/larger classes can struggle in high school/college. My mother became terminally ill so I wanted to care for her full time but could no longer afford the tuition if I did. We learned of her illness a month after we signed the upcoming year's tuition agreement. After a tearful face to face with Ms. Tate she would not release us from the year long commitment. I even offered a penalty fee but couldn't afford 12 months of tuition. I was told, no exceptions. We kept our daughter in 1 more year but it kept me from spending quality time with my mother before she passed because I had to work to pay for the tuition. I regret that decision now, but I cant go back. The kids loved the teachers and the camp, but I never felt like anything other than someone to pay their bills even before my request to leave. You sign, you are done, no exceptions. Sign with caution and hope "life" doesn't happen because the administration doesn't care.

Tates School Of Discovery 4

Posted July 23, 2013
There are so many wonderful things about Tate's school. Teacher ratio, ability for teachers to cover curriculum in clever and interesting ways, plenty of outdoor time throughout the day, beautiful peaceful campus, and a caring family atmosphere. My only complaint some teachers (mainly in Kindergarten) do not prepare children for the expectations of first grade. Also the schiool never surveys parents for feedback so they can improve. You have to "complain" in order to be heard and are often met with comments like " your child must not have been ready to learn those things yet". It's disappointing since there are so many positives. A simple survey each year could really get under some underlying issues with a few things that are important to being a school that could be the best it could be.

Posted March 03, 2013
I don't know where the 1-13-13 review came from but it is not accurate. My daughter has been at Tate's since PK and is now in 4th grade. The religious agenda accusation is false. While most children are of the Christian faith I have never seen a child bullied or isolated by the children. The Principal leadership is superior! The few issues (very few) I asked to have addressed were handled immediately to my satisfaction. The Teachers are 5 star. The small classes are often split between 2 teachers with respective strengths on science/math and language/arts as a result my daughter has had 9 different primary teachers...I would rate 7 of them 5 star, one of them 4 star and one 3 star (average). Parent involvement is very high and is welcomed but voluntary. My wife really enjoys being involved in the activities/trips/projects. The teachers are also very in tune to the kids...I can say without reservation that I would highly recommend Tate's if you want your child to be in a warm rich learning environment completely averse to the public school experience. My daughter scores 95%-99% in every TCAP category and I have no doubt her learning achievements have been maximized at Tate's!

Tates School Of Discovery 3

Posted January 13, 2013
Tate's has small classes, average teachers and a relegious agenda. My child went to Tate's for 2 years where he was required to pray before lunch. I did not see where my child was progressing from what he already knew before he came to Tate's. I was disapointed that the school was very bais towards the Christian faith and even at the musicals they sang relegious songs. It is not a school for Hindu, Jewish, Muslims or anyone who is not of the "christian" faith. The parents are very involved but the children do well because of the parents not because of the school. My child was bullied at Tate's and no one would do anything about it. Once you sign a contract at the school they will not let you out of it, even if your child like mine was miserable. Also, the teachers have no idea to teach to a child that has a disability and do not have the skills needed to help with even the smallest of disabilites. I withdrew my child because of relegious bullying and they were incapable of dealing with a minor disability.
2 people found this helpful

Posted December 17, 2010
They will leave prepared! After our two children attended Tate's School of Discovery from K to 5 and K to 4, they were ready for anything. They have successfully been home schooled for one year and spent 3 years in Moscow, Russia at an international school with students from over 60 countries. Diversity: Not an easy thing to find in Knoxville. With a high emphasis on math and science, they tend to draw families working at the nearby Oak Ridge National Laboratory Affluent: With the hefty tuition, most students come from well-to-do families. Note that TN does not have a state income tax, the decision was an easy one. Small Class Size. This means more individual teaching for each child. Strong Academics: This school is packed full of high achievers. Students who struggle and are unwilling to get extra help might feel pressure to keep up with the accelerated learning environment. Faculty: The teachers are extremely nurturing. We still keep in contact with most of our kids former teachers. Parent Involvement: While there is no pressure to volunteer for school events, it is welcomed. Many households had two working parents but everyone pitched in as their schedules allowed.

Posted January 16, 2010
Tates is an amazing school. I came here in 3rd grade and am graduating this year in 5th. Small class size allows you lots of attention from the teachers. Lots of people in my class started in kindergarden but when I came later it was easy to make friends. The extra classes of art, music, computers, spanish, pe are excellent! We even get to take swimming, bike riding, tennis, cross country, and kick around a 10ft soccer ball! Fun!

Tates School Of Discovery 0

Posted January 26, 2009
I agree 100 percent with other poster. I give it 5 stars. Small classes, large beautiful campus, plenty of time outdoors, individual attention, nurturing, etc. It is sort of like Cheers, everyone knows your name. You are not a number. Our daugther was there from Age 3 through Grade 5. She and her Tate's peers are among the top kids now in the class at another private Mid-School in Knoxville. Tate's gave them a great start.

Tates School Of Discovery 0

Posted November 08, 2008
Tate's School is known locally as being a nurturing type educational experience. My child attended there for 5 years. As with all schools they have their strengths and their weaknesses but there is no doubt this school is a class act. Class size is small, teachers are attentive to the students needs and they don't tolerate much in the way of misbehavior. Would I say my son benefitted from his attendance there--absolutely. Overall I would rate them A+.

Tates School Of Discovery
9215 Bob Gray Road, Knoxville, TN  37923
Last modified Tates School Of Discovery is a Private school that serves grades PK-5
Tates School Of Discovery Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top