Bad
Good

Not worth all the hype! My son attended this school for 2.5 months in the 1st grade. It's extremely overcrowded. I feel like I'm waiting in line for black friday items when i showed up to that school. They are extreme about teaching the test and not the children. You are just a number and they pass you down the conveyor belt. Who has a hug line where you are encouraged to leave your children as they go into the school and you can't go into the school without going into the office for a pass, where you are questioned about whether it's really necessary that you go inside. I understand safety, but it's a bit much. Please find a better balance. My son broke his arm on their playground in mid September. The teacher did not see it happen. When the teacher told the nurse about my son's broken arm, the nurse asked if it was the twisty monkey bars (it was the twisty monkey bars). My son had to have surgery on his growth plates and two screws put in his arm. I understand accidents happen, but when your staff is well aware of a hazardous playset and nothing is done. I find this negligent and harmful. I asked the principal to look into it and I got a phone call that it was being investigated. (Never received any information after that) A few weeks later, we moved and found a permanent house not in that school district. I never felt a connection with the teacher, the school, the principal, or the parents. My son's new school is phenomenal! Nice warm, loving environment where you can easily chat with your son's teacher about his behavior and learning. I do not have to fight the masses to drop off/pick up my child. Most importantly, I feel he is cared for and safe. I'm only one data point, but i felt it important to share some of my experiences with this school. Thank you and good luck!

Fantastic school. Teachers, PTA, and principal are terrific. My son is in first grade. He absolutely loves going to school.

Great school for advanced learners! My gifted child's teacher pulled materials to meet her needs. Good staff and a beautiful facility with technology lab weekly for kids.

We moved to this school from South Knoxville and are considering a change to private school. Our son's teacher seems very caring, but the administration is all about test scores. It seems the teachers' hands are tied by the government's liberal agenda. Why does a third grader need to learn about "Unions and Guest Workers?"

Good PTA,and involved parents but unfortunately, as with all public schools, due to govt intervention, the kids have to be taught to take a test. Really wish they were able to just teach.

We just moved from out of state, and my first grader started at Hardin Valley Elementary. His teacher, Miss Watkins, is teaching the class sign language, Spanish, and many things I wouldn't have thought to be part of the curriculum. I don't know if this is the teacher or the school, but we have been pleased with his progress this year. He looks forward to going to school and has had no bullying or interpersonal issues that some other parents have referenced here. We haven't had a need to interface with the Principal.

We have had nothing but regret after enrolling our child at Hardin Valley Elementary School.

I have four children and have had at least one child at HVES since 2002, and will be there until 2014! So I will span twelve years at the Elementary School. I have nothing but good things to say about the teachers, staff and the PTA. We are so fortunate to have such an awesome school, and I would do anything to stay in the school district if a move should arise. Everyone is very welcoming at the school, and the strong PTA involvement continues to grow by leaps and bounds. I am proud to be a member!

My child has been going to Hardin Valley Elementary ever since Kindergarten. I am very unimpressed with the whole school for a matter of fact. The children tackle eachother on the playground , and they are bullying like crazy , this is a result of unaware teachers and staff. The staff and PTA are the snobbiest people you could meet . The teachers are a wide variety though. Some are very kind and caring , while others ca'nt get their heads out of their mirror.

We moved to Hardin Valley from out of state last summer. Hardin Valley Elementary made the transition for my daughters to a new state, school, and home smooth and positive. The teacher's are amazing and the administration encourages parent involvement. In the back of my mind, I thought we would end up sending our girls to private school since the reputation for the public schools were so low. Luckily, I was pleasantly surprised and will not move out of this school zone until my girls are out of school.

Last modified Hardin Valley Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.