A L Lotts Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 1139 students

Posted August 6, 2007

My daughter attended A.L. Lotts from Kindergarten through 5th grade, and I now have a son there. Everything went well until her last year when the new principal, Ms. Lenn, came into the picture. She treats the older kids like they are in kindergarten.

Posted May 25, 2007

My son just finished his first year at A.L. Lotts. Mrs. Ginn is a fantastic and gifted Kindergarten teacher. She enabled our son to learn to fit in socially, he also would cry when it was time to read, but now he is an above average reader after only one year. It truly is amazing what they learn in a year. Parents need to also remember that a part of the child's learning comes from home as well, not only the schools, but we had a teacher who really gave me great advice on how to work with our son at home regarding his reading. Without her professional knowledge our son would have been left in the dust. So far, so good, lets see how 1st grade goes! Our son loves school and is sad that it ended, that is a compliment to Mrs. Ginn and Lotts for making this

Posted May 15, 2007

Before our daughter went to A.L. Lotts, she had confidence issues and reading difficulties. Since being in R. Tipton's 2nd grade class, she has made a 360 degree turn around. I owe that to Mrs. Tipton and the other staff at A.L. Lotts. They have all just been great. I cannot say enough good things. I know it will just get better. We are truly blessed to have such great teachers who love our children as their own.

Posted January 6, 2007

My daughter went to lotts from k-5 and she had a wonderful experience and wonderful teachers. Mrs. Alexander in fourth grade helped her learn to study, which I think really prepared her for middle school and I feel she is a great asset to the school.I have two other daughter's now at the school and I have no complaints. Thanks for a wonderful school.

Posted November 1, 2006

AL Lotts is a good school in the West Knoxville area. It consistently ranks near the top for the county. Compared to schools in the state of CT, however, it is mediocre at best. Our second child has done only average at Lotts. We've gotten little feedback from teachers during marking periods and only small notes from them at report-card time. Our first child is now out of Lotts. With him, Lotts failed. In the words of one of the administrators, 'Lotts is good for getting round-peg kids in round holes, but for a square-peg kid, they don't do well.' His teachers consistently failed to work well with him even though he had a 504 plan (We finally gave up on the 504 plan since we saw no real help). He got good grades, but failed socially, and did not fit their 'mold' of what an ideal student should be.

Posted June 10, 2006

I have a child who has attended A.L. Lotts for 5 years. I have consistantly been disappointed with the quality of teaching. She has had 2 wonderful teachers who made learning fun and interesting. The others were more concerned with teaching to the test. There is very little enrichment available for above average students. Infact, one teacher told me my child brought books from home for her own enrichment when she finished her work. There are VERY LITTLE hands-on activities. For a school that 'tests' wonderfully, I think it is ashame that they are producing test takers. I would rather see engaging, hands-on, interesting learning which would produce well rounded children with a love of learning.

Posted April 12, 2006

This is my son's 1st year at Lotts - 2nd gr. We came from WestHills Elem. It is April and sadly I must say, I barely know his teacher. My son really likes her which soothes any concerns. I guess I was just hoping for a parent/teacher meeting or an Open House. There was one meeting at the beginning of the school yr and that is it. At WestHills, there were meetings all throughout the year so I always knew where my son was excelling or struggling. For Lotts academics program, I feel that it has been an outstanding year! I can really tell a difference in my son's interest in learning. I am especially impressed with his Science class - the teacher makes learning fun! He attends Lotts' afterschool/summer program - KidTime. It is a well-thought-out program! The Director & counselors do a fantastic job and I highly recommend it.

Posted March 4, 2006

I am the mother of two children who have attended this school. A.L. Lotts is one of the better elementary schools in the Knox County School District. However, even this school is a 'mixed bag' in regard to teacher quality. As an educator (University professor), I have been very discouraged to encounter teachers at Lotts who do not use correct grammer in the classroom and on tests they've prepared for their students, and have marginal content knowledge in science and math. This is a pervasive problem in schools in East Tennessee. Until the general public in Tennessee recognizes that children are their greatest resource and education has value, and the State establishes a stable tax base, Tennessee will continue to rank at the bottom in education.

Posted February 22, 2006

My children have attended A. L. Lotts for the past 4 years. It is a wonderful school with caring teachers, administration, parents and school support staff. The children are well prepared for the future both academically and socially. I could not have asked for a better begining for my child's educational experience.

Posted February 22, 2006

I am blessed that my children attend such a wonderful, caring, and academically challenging school. Being present as a teacher at this school I can see first hand what a superlative effort each member of the staff puts forth on a daily basis. Meeting the needs of students from diverse backgrounds presents certain challenges and limitations, all of which are reviewed on a continual basis by the teachers and administrators in an effort that each child reaches their personal best. If there is any question in anyone s mind about the quality of instruction taking place at our school, they can review the results from standardized testing on the Tennessee Department of Education website. You will find A.L. Lotts ranked among the top schools in the state.

Posted February 8, 2006

Our experience at Lotts was great! Our daughter had excellent teachers and the principal and other staff actually knew her name. This is definitely not what one would expect in a school so large. The teachers went above and beyond what was 'in their job description' to teach and inspire their students to do their best. We have since moved to Illinois for work related reasons. The school we now attend has 400 students in grades K-8, yet none of the teachers (other than her own) even take the time to get to know other students. The academic standards do not even come close to those of Lotts! Parental involvement is non-existent at our new school.

Posted February 1, 2006

My son's kindergarten experience has been horrible. His teacher tries to run her class through fear and intimidation rather than enlightenment and encouragement (and these are 5 year olds). The other parents in this class have the same issues. There is one asst. Principal who's been helpful, but the principal is non existent. Several attempts to meet with her have failed. Planned meetings have been cancelled. No doubt there are great teachers here. But do your homework on what teacher your child gets. It could be a disaster.

Posted February 6, 2005

We moved from Collierville, TN with a good public school system. We were very apprehensive about joining our children going to a new school, however this school has been GREAT! The office administration are always professional and courteous; the teacher's are OUTSTANDING! They are concientious and prepared and truly care about their students progress. I am thoroughly pleased that we made this choice. Emily Lenn, you're doing a great job! Keep up the great work!
—Submitted by an administrator

Posted July 31, 2004

My grandaughter had a wonderful first grade experience! Her teachers were the best. We are looking forward to the second grade.

Posted July 22, 2004

A.L. Lotts is the best school my child has attended. We have lived north of Nashville, Florida, and have been to one other school here in west Knoxville, and this school and it's teachers out shine all the rest. It is like one big family! We love A.L. Lotts!

Posted May 25, 2004

We left a private school to go to this public school. The children are better disciplined and the curriculum is challenging for advanced students. The staff is excellent. Teachers across Knoxville want this school because of parent involvement and concern about their children. This school exceeded our expectations after our switch. In 2004, 62 5th graders received the President's recognition as advanced students. The national average is 10% of the population, which meant we should have only had 12 students get this honor. It is verification of the quality education and excellent staff at A.L. Lotts. Teachers give a lot, parents give a lot, students learn a lot. The principal is very hands on and knows each 1015 student by name. The principal at our former private school did not know my child's name, and he was 1 of 200.

Posted February 8, 2004

Even with a student population of 1000+, the Principal greets each child by name. He is an excellent administrator and leader. The teaching staff is very professional while caring for each student. Two of my children have been fortunate to have had the 'Lotts' experience. This is the one of Knoxville's best schools for its overall academic achievments and nuturing atmosphere.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 49% in 2013.

163 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 84% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Tennessee used the Tennessee Comprehensive Assessment Program (TCAP) Achievement Test to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading/language arts, math, science and social studies. The TCAP is a standards-based test that measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Tennessee. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2013.

204 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

203 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 56% in 2013.

204 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 57% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 55% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 87% in 2013.

Writing

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 9% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 14%N/A55%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

9320 Westland Dr