Ball Camp Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 461 students

Posted February 25, 2014

Ball Camp is a wonderful school, with many nurturing, hard-working teachers and staff. We have loved our school experiences there. The principal, assistant principal, and support staff are very accessible and really get to know their students as individuals. I have found teacher communication to be excellent, and the classrooms all very inviting.

Posted December 14, 2013

We have had the most amazing experience with our son in Kindergarten this year. He participated in the Cedar Bluff preK program last year, and we had some issues with it, but our experience here has been beyond great! Mrs. Bishop is our son's teacher, and we really feel like she takes her time to know each child and make sure they are getting what they need. She is very energetic, and our son just LOVES her! I have seen an amazing change in his self-discipline and obedience in general, and I know I can attribute it to the way she manages her classroom. Also, we have nothing but great things to say about the staff. The ladies in the office are super sweet, and know our son by name. They are always very gracious when I have to bring my younger two with me because I forgot to give medicine or need to bring lunch for my oldest. The principal is always out and socializing with families during school events. We were planning to send our son to a private school this year, but I am so glad we didn't! It has been a great experience. We love the neighborhood feel of this school, and the staff couldn't be more welcoming!

Posted October 7, 2013

My ladies go to school at Ball Camp Elementary. My youngest is hyperactive and almost everywhere we have been all the teachers just want to put her on meds because of her grade issues. Until this year! She has the most amazing second grade teacher! My oldest daughter adores her third grade teacher as well! It is hard to find a school where two kids can be happy with their teachers and classmates. The school has worked with my girls so much. Before Ball Camp I was looking at having to put my daughter on ADHD meds! Wonderful school!

Posted April 30, 2013

Our family has had a wonderful experience at Ball Camp Elementary so far. We have two boys, grades Kindergarten and 3rd, and can say that our time at Ball Camp Elementary has been great. The community is small, with a close and family-oriented feel to it... similar to what my husband and I experienced as children. We love being a part of the Ball Camp family and look forward to more great years ahead.

Posted August 14, 2012

We love Ball Camp! We moved into this school zone before we had children with plans of moving by the time we had school age children. Boy, am I glad we didn't! With all the over-crowding in the schools around us, this school is a hidden treasure and the teachers and administration are top-notch. Parental involvement is appreciated and encouraged and they put the students first in everything they do.

Posted April 11, 2012

Ball Camp is Knox County's best kept secret. Our TN report card scores are just as high as some of the larger and more popular public schools, but the great thing about BC is it is SMALL. My third grader has 17 kids in her class, 4th grader has 21 in his class. What other wrote is true, the principal is top notch and knows every child, every parent. She even knows my dog! This is like going back in time, in a good way. Very community oriented school and we LOVE it!

Posted February 9, 2012

We just love Ball Camp Elementary. The fifth grade teachers are awesome, especially Mrs. Sullivan!

Posted November 18, 2011

Have had a lot of issues with the leadership at this school. We have asked that our child be transfered to another school. Knox County and Ball Camp will not allow the student to transfer since it is "Outside the normal transfer period". If you send your child, do not expect anything special. I have had several kids go throught his school, nieces, nephews older child, but have never had a problem with the school until now. Now we must move to get away from the school.

Posted October 22, 2011

We have loved Ball Camp for the last 3 years. Our children perform at higher than grade level, and we found that their teachers look for opportunities to continue to develop and push them to acheive more. The office staff is caring and the principal is in it to win it. One day last year in the midst of a huge downpour it was the principal who was standing in the rain helping to direct traffic. We feel like Ball Camp is family and couldn't be prouder of this hidden treasure in Knoxville.

Posted November 11, 2009

Ball Camp is one of the best kept secrets in Knoxville. The school is small and has a very friendly feel to it. Because of it's size, all of the teachers know the names of almost all of the children. Educationally my child has done very well. She has always scored high on her TCAPS. I know this is because of the wonderful teachers at Ball Camp.

Posted November 4, 2009

Principle is trying hard not to let any child behind anywere. My child received after school reading classes. Reading improved and she is now reading is at grade level and is improving.

Posted November 4, 2009

It is the smallest school and one of the oldest in the knox county school district and in the age when we want everything to be bigger, and newer, this school reminds those of us with kids that go there that it isn't the size of the school or how new it looks that makes a school great.

Posted August 6, 2009

My daughter started 3rd grade there at Ball Camp. When I registered Alexa the office staff treated us like we belonged there and was very helpful. When classes started it was a little rocky in the begging. The teacher and assistant principal was more then happy to hear our issues and find away to resolve them. The rest of the year was just wonderful. Alexa is now looking forward to the new year and her new teacher.

Posted May 27, 2009

I absolutley love Ball Camp It is the best school everyone is so friendly.You never walk in the door that someone doesn't smile at you.Both of my girls have loved it.

Posted September 12, 2008

I am actually not a parent or a student. I am a Former Student. I loved Ball Camp so much, but i only went there in Kindergarden and 1st grade. I had Mrs. Frazier and Mrs. Dean. I am now in 7th grade. I then moved and went to Cedar Bluff. I HATE IT!!!!!!! (they didn't even have a cafateria till they built the new Elementry. I just want to say that i loved it and would love to be back but i'm to old. Say hi to Mrs.Tatem. I started out with her as a teacher and transferred to mrs.frazier's class in kindergarden.(hope she still remembers me.) sincerely, Elena C.

Posted October 27, 2006

My son attended Ball Camp and we loved the friendly, small-town atmosphere. We feel that he got a good start on his education. While it is an older building, it was always clean and well maintained. The office staff was always helpful. The only bad experience we ever had was with his 2nd grade teacher the last 6 weeks of school. She was a bully and treated me like a 5 year old when I tried to work with her to solve a problem. Again, though, this was a one-person problem and if we had this to do over, would have involved the principal (we tried to handle it on our own).

Posted May 17, 2006

I am very grateful that my children have had the opportunity to attend Ball Camp Elementary School. We actually moved back in to the Ball Camp school district in order for our kids to return to this excellent school. The staff are very involved with the kids, and the overall atmosphere of the school is that of a small community or support. It is so easy to get lost in the larger schools and for children to be treated as a number instead of an individual. I would recommend Ball Camp Elementary to anyone and I am glad that my children still have several more years in this unique and above-average learning environment.

Posted May 13, 2006

I have 2 children in Ball Camp. The school itself is in great condition and is highly maintained. They are upgrading the outdoor equipment this summer to get ready for the fall. The teachers are very caring and we have had success twice in kindergarten and once in first grade. The office staff is very nice and approachable. The principal is usually outside every morning to great the children as they are dropped off for school. The principal is also almost there on a daily basis and is always happy to talk with the parents. The education seems to be just fine but I feel that my children should have more homework for all the different subjects they are learning. The only thing that needs to be implemented is more parent volunteer opportunites in the classroom.

Posted March 15, 2006

'We are sorry for those who had a terrible time at Ball Camp. Both of our children had wonderful experiences there. We found the teachers and staff to be very dedicated and very knowledgeable. Our children were well-educated and well-treated by all of the teachers. There are many opportunities for children to learn and grow in academics and the arts. We always felt welcomed at the school. The playground is not large, but it is adequate. When something breaks on the playground or in the school, the Schools' Maintenance Dept. must fix the broken item(s). As far as the misspelled words in the school yearbook, please note that no teachers were involved with the making of the yearbook. It was a PTA project which has reflected poorly upon the school and the teachers. Otherwise, the PTA is great. And Ball Camp is a wonderful school! From Happy Parents'

Posted January 28, 2006

Ball Camp Primary School was a terrible experience for our daughter. The playground was in horrible shape and no efforts were made to repair broken equipment. Beyond this, the quality of education was dismal. Every day, my daughter brought home papers from the school with misspelled words on them. There is little effort to administer to the needs of advanced students. We found the senior staff to be condescending at best - uninterested at worst. Parental involvement at first was encouraged, but later in the year it was discouraged, The most telling example of this school's poor quality for us was the school yearbook. In the front of the book, the school principal's picture was shown with the title 'Principle' underneath. Unbelievable.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 49% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 84% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Tennessee used the Tennessee Comprehensive Assessment Program (TCAP) Achievement Test to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading/language arts, math, science and social studies. The TCAP is a standards-based test that measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Tennessee. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 56% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 57% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 55% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 87% in 2013.

Writing

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 31%N/A55%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Nurse(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• Buses/vans for students only

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

9801 Middlebrook Pk