Farragut High School

Public | 9-12 | 1679 students

Posted Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Having grown up in Farragut and attending FHS from kindergarten to 12th grade, I can never fully express what an amazing experience I've had here. FHS, in my opinion, is the best school in the Knoxville area academically and athletically. There is a strong sense of community within the school and the surrounding town. Everyone is involved and actively engaged in the high school, from the football games to the science/research fair. I can assure anyone that FHS provides a top notch education. In my time at FHS, I took 13 AP courses and countless honors classes, was involved in a varsity sport, and participated in the many clubs the school has to offer. Despite my busy schedule and that of my friends, we still always had a great time both outside and inside of school. I now attend a 4 year research university and can say without a doubt Farragut has prepared me above and beyond my expectations. I will never forget my time as an Admiral, as it truly was one of the best experiences of my life. If you're thinking about sending your child here, talk to some of the awesome teachers at FHS and you will understand what makes this high school special. Once an Admiral, always an Admiral!

Posted August 15, 2014

Farragut is an amazing school with warm, welcoming staff, and brilliant teachers. Anyone would be lucky to go here. The student body is extremely accepting, and cases of bullying are few and far between. Overall, Farragut is an ideal school for anyone eager to learn, and although the coursework can be rigorous, its students leave well prepared for college.

Posted April 14, 2014

This school may be a great school for some students.For the students that do not play the politic game,it is worthlless.If your parents are not a member of the country club group,you don't belong.It's all about money.I just paid $1200.00 for a school trip for the ball team to go to Florida and the kid never saw a field.You people need to worry more about fairness than putting a feather in your hat. I had a daughter drop this school in 1998,simply because of the politics and now a grandson is considering the same action.This is not a school that I would ever reccommend to anyone.

Posted February 23, 2014

We moved here a few years ago from Columbus, Ohio and we couldn't be happier with Farragut Schools. We have two sons at Farragut High School and they absolutely love it. From day one the kids and staff were very welcoming and they felt like they have been there for a long time. We definitely recommend this school.

Posted June 6, 2012

Everyone involved with my child has been extremely caring and helpful and has made us feel like they truly care and want whats best for my child.

Posted June 7, 2011

I've attended six other schools, and Farragut is BY FAR the best. The opportunities and possibilities are endless. It is at this school that I was taught how to succeed. Not only by my teacher's ever-guiding hand, but also in what they didn't do. They encouraged me to grow as an individual and reach for the best and settle for nothing less. My teachers, for the most part, were enthusiastic and enjoyed their job. It was evident in their teaching and attitude the second they stepped into the room. I was also able to feel a sense of community at Farragut, nothing like anything I've ever seen. Though the classes ARE large, the teachers still make an effort to know and help you, and the students and peers are equally encouraging. I've loved my experience at Farragut and will hate to leave this school. Though I'm from all over the country, Farragut will always have my heart.

Posted October 20, 2010

Two words: overcrowded and overrated. My children are now in their 4th year in Farragut schools and we have experienced elementary, intermediate, middle, and now high school here. Overall, I'd say the schools have far too high an opinion of themselves. Although my children are honor students, my oldest daughter struggles with the absurd workload in the high school and, as a result, tells me almost daily how much she "hates" school. There isn't s shred of evidence that having high school teachers who fancy themselves college professors (and treat the students accordingly) in any way prepares students for college. There is nothing wrong with a challenging curriculum, but when you have excellent students struggling to get "B's" with 3 hours of homework a night, there is clearly a need to restore balance and common sense. There is also nothing wrong with allowing children to enjoy their years in high school!

Posted July 8, 2010

My children graduated from Farragut H.S. in 2002 and 2006. One is a CPA and the other a doctoral student in New York City. Both have expressed to me lately how grateful they are for the education they received in the Farragut schools. Both attended selective undergraduate colleges and felt they were well-prepared by what came their way later on. One was of the musical/artsy bent and the other of the more social/traditional bent. Both found a place to belong at FHS due to diversity of the student body and the huge number of sports and clubs. One was in the top 1% and the other in the top 25% -- and both benefitted from the AP program. As parents, we felt active partners in their education and appreciated teachers who expected a lot of them. My children are proud to claim Farragut High School as their alma mater.

Posted July 2, 2007

Excellent school, highly trained teachers most with advanced degrees, motivated students, involved parents, abundant APs and extracurricular, competitive sports -- all in a safe bedroom community of well educated residents.

Posted July 2, 2007

Excellent school, highly trained teachers, abundant extracurricular opps, strong sports, lots of APs!

Posted March 15, 2007

Communication is very much so a problem. And, because of the block schedule, failed tests are not reviewed. A child would never learn what he wasn't able to in the first place since they're rushing on to the next chapter. This is especially a problem with Math. I would not recommend this school for anyone who is weak in Math.

Posted August 9, 2006

Farragut High School has consistently proven itself to be in the top tier of Tennessee Public Secondary Schools. Whether in the arena of the arts (where our band is looked upon as one of the best in East Tennessee), academics (FHS offers more AP classes than any other in Knox County), or athletics (just count our district titles), Farragut truly is the best. I recently graduated from Farragut, and I will be attending Virginia Tech in the fall. Thanks to FHS, I don't have to take any English in college, freeing up hours for me to pursue other endeavors. I appreciate all that Farragut has done for me...from Kindergarten to my wonderful senior year, Farragut has completely shaped the person that I am today. - Margaret Morris

Posted June 19, 2006

I will be a sophmore at farragut in the fall and i think that it is a very good school. I transfered in from a very very small private school and the transition was extremely smooth. The guidence department is also very good and very focused on having a personal relationship with the students. I dont know what these other people who are giving bad reviews are talking about.

Posted June 15, 2006

Great school and is in a great location with primarily upper middle class living. Sports programs are top notch and always send their top athletes to Division 1 programs. Education is top notch and offers programs for all levels of intelect. I would say in the knoxville area among public shool this is by far the best of the best.

Posted November 23, 2005

I graduated from Farragut in 2000, and I really can't believe some of the reviews I am reading on this site. Farragut is a fantastic school that does an excellent job preparing students for academic work at the next level. The faculty is a amazing in their knowledge and commitment, and the school is renowned in the region for some of the programs it offers, especially for those who are technically inclined. The school also has many, many clubs and extracurricular activities for just about any interest. Farragut did an excellent job preparing me for college level work, and ultimately to become a successful member of society.

Posted October 23, 2005

I graduated from Farragut in 2002. I went there all 4 years and hated every second of it. The classes are extremely crowded, the teachers don't care and the other students are incredibly rude. All the proncipals seemed to care about was their precious Blue Ribbon Award. I don't know how Farragut received that award in the 1st place. 40 students to a class is not Blue Ribbon worthy to me. Lunch time was so crowded many days we would end up eating on the floor...it was disgusting, yes, but we had to eat somewhere. The cliques at Farragut are horrible. Luckily, I was one of the 'popular' kids. This didn't make my time there anymore fun it just meant I always had someone to walk the crowded halls with. I would tell anyone moving to Farragut not to even consider send their child to Farragut High School.

Posted August 5, 2005

Farragut is an exceptional school. I'm a junior that's very academically advanced, and I love every minute of it. There are many extracurricular activities and everyone can find a group to fit into. The academic departments are excellent for higher achievers, and most teachers will work with lower ranked kids to help them along. I'm not saying every aspect of Farragut is perfect or that all of the teachers are phenomenal; I know that's not true. I'm just saying that for the majority of students, Farragut provides an excellent education and plenty of room for growth. Anybody can find a club that they are interested in, and if they can't, there's always a way to make one. Farragut is an exceptional, well-rounded school.

Posted April 23, 2005

I'm a junior on the upper end of the academic food chain. Farragut is an amazing school, for those who are up for the challenge. All of these people who say that the school is a horrible place for average kids are wrong. The truth is that the kids are just lazy and parents are willing to blame the school for any whim their children desire. Those are the people who will never discover their potential at Farragut. If anyone's child is interested in band, Mr. Rogers leads the finest marching/concert band in the southeast. Eccentric Mr. Beckett churns out math geniuses while the class has a great time. I can't even tell I'm learning in Mr. Siebe's English class, I'm having too much fun. You know they're great teachers when you're not aware that you're being taught. Farragut's full of teachers that will actually challenge your children.

Posted April 2, 2005

I also agree with Barbara Folsom. I have three children who all have different personalities and abilities. Farragut is great for the extremely motivated and bright student but lacks in many ways for a student who doesn't fit their mold. This school only has college prep or fundamental classes and does not offer education opportunities for average children. Aren't we all average until motivated to exeed? What has happened to basic education classes? The response from the principal is 'The majority of students in this school are extremely bright and we offer a challenging education for the majority'. So as you can see if you don't fit their mold, this is not a good school for you.

Posted March 10, 2005

Graduating from Farragut High School a few years back, I came out of there with a great education that helped me get into Stanford University where I have put in a lot of time, effort, & money in developing the skills needed to become what I am today. Reading some of these other reviews, I feel disappointed that some people rate this school at such a low level. Farragut is a great school & I would definitely recommend this school to other people relocating to the region. However, Farragut also does have its downfalls, overcrowding is becoming a major problem at the school. Some of the classes have as many as 38 students in them, as I have been told by another family member attending the school. Some great things about Farragut, though, are that this school doesn't have 'cliques'. Everybody plays their part in the school. I LOVED FARRAGUT.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 65% in 2013.

331 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 42% in 2013.

389 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 62% in 2013.

450 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 68% in 2013.

420 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

444 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

English III

The state average for English III was 40% in 2013.

268 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Security personnel
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Special education / special needs

• Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Science lab

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Special education coordinator
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Tutor(s)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Access to sports fields
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Technical design and production

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

11237 Kingston Pk